Lordosis

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by TheComedian, Jul 5, 2011.

1. TheComedian

TheComedian Regular Member

Badminton Player/Coach
    It's curving of the lower spine. I don't know if any of you have this. I do and I don't know what to think of it or what I can do to make it go away. I read somewhere that there is a back brace you came buy. I "think" I only "THINK" Taufik has Lordosis as well. which is why he has a back brace on when he plays. He has a gut, but I don't think it's a fat gut. i think his back is pushing his stomach out. so any suggestions for players with this condition?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

It's normal to have a certain degree of lordosis of the lower lumbar spine.Do you have it excessively and is it painful?

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Agree with Dr. visor: lordosis is not a condition but a description. It is normal in the lumbar spine, to a degree. It's only an issue if it's painful or limiting desired movement. Some people simply have a naturally more pronounced lordosis than others. In other people it may be from chronic muscle imbalances or a degenerative condition.

Very doubtful that a brace will "fix" it, but a brace may reduce pain when the back is under stress (eg. playing).

I don't know anything about Taufik's back, but most players with braces are playing because of problems with the muscles or discs of their back, not so much because of lordosis.

4. TheComedian

TheComedian Regular Member

Badminton Player/Coach
    I do have some pain. I have it excessively. I would like to buy i back brace, but i don't know where to buy one in China. I may have to go back to Canada :( It 's doesn't "hurt" when I play. but I can feel it. I am afraid it's going to effect me 2 or 3 years down the road.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's very unusual to hear of 'excessive' lordosis.

Taufik has put on weight. It's nothing to do with lordosis (or rather it is highly improbable).

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Agree with Fidget. Lordosis shouldn't cause pain. What you should rule out are other pathologies like disc herniation/degeneration, facet joint degeneration, etc, all of which can cause back pain more so than simple lordosis. Since you're in China, you may as well get a CT scan of the low back. It's very cheap there to get it, probably only 1/10th of what it costs here in Canada.