the sky is falling!!!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by silentheart, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

2. silentheart

Sorry, forgot to add. You wonder why President Elect decided to vacate his seat early? So his buddy can sell it to highest bidder...

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    A well known professor of physics and Nobel laureate once suggested that the economics recipients of the prize should not be allowed to sit with the other laureates when the prizes were passed out, because as far as he was concerned, economics was not a an authentic science.

4. silentheart

I agree, I also feel Stats should not be consider as a Math major too because if you try long enough, you will get it right eventually.:D

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

Looks like the auto bailout is on the brink of getting approved...The thing that I still don't understand is, if Ford won't need the bailout, why can't the other 2??..
    It sure is living up to the stigma. I kinda feel sorry for all the Illinois folks though; it happened with the previous IL governor, George Ryan, who is now serving time. It's almost like you guys can't get a reprieve. And if one is to choose between 2 governor candidates, one literally has to choose using the eenie meenie miny moe way; the lesser of the 2 evils. And now, with the President-elect having some of his aides from the Illinois/Chicago area, namely "Rahm-bo" Emanuel, who knows what's up ahead with the upcoming administration.:p

#545 ctjcad, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  6. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    It is FORD that has enough capital to survive and doesnt need the bailout but the issue is if factories that supply the parts shut down, FORD will have to FOLD too eventually.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Already noticed & amended above..^^

...got tongue-tied with the 3 big auto makers...:p

8. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    Sorry then. I spoke too soon. ;)

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmmm..U.S. auto industry being nationalized??..

..is it me or do i get a feeling that with the new $15B bailout, the U.S. auto industry, with the new "car czar" tagging along, will soon be nationalized with government having control/regulations; "extraordinary power to restructure the failing industry"???...hmm:confused:[​IMG]

#549 ctjcad, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Mr. Obama is placing all his bets on massive spending.

“Obama's a poker player,” Prof. Navarro said. “Here we've got a new president coming in who is basically going to bet the entire administration on a fiscal stimulus hand that is at best two jacks.”

With a report from Marcus Gee

© The Globe and Mail

11. silentheart

Master Cooler,

Great dig. I think his bluff is not going to work.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

As per thread title :D

California running out of money
    By Ben Arnoldy Ben Arnoldy Wed Dec 10, 3:00 am ET
    Sacramento, Calif. – California lawmakers just got a Henry Paulson-like ultimatum from state officials: If they don't act, the state could be forced to suspend road, bridge, and other public-works projects as early as next week. Come March, California will be out of cash for even day-to-day operations.

A confluence of the national recession and years of legislative budget games is squeezing the Golden State as never before. Although it's not the largest budget gap the state has ever faced, this time it will be harder for California to get help from private lenders. Standard & Poor's now ranks it lower than any other state except Louisiana, which shares the same rating.

The question is: Will lawmakers finally make the tough budget decisions they've put off for so long?

"Because California does have a perennial budget crisis, it's very easy to fall into the 'boy who cried wolf' syndrome," says Dan Schnur, director of the Jesse M. Unruh Institute of Politics at the University of Southern California. "This time the sky is really falling."

13. silentheart

I would like to ask any one who major in Political Science. What can CA do right now? Any current CA resident like to share their opinion?
    Thanks...

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

u mean chartered accountants?

15. silentheart

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

A good CA would say we need more CA's to audit their books:D

well, bailout leads to more bailouts. The GM bailout of 15B is just a tip of the iceberg. I believe the congress would give bailout to GM but looking for a reason, any plan so they can give the money to GM, even if the plan is drawn out by homer simpsons. So far, GM's plan is worst than what homer simipsons would come up with. Some experts think a real bailout to preserve the auto industry is closer to 125-150B. Right now, AIG is a blackhole sucking up most of the $700 billion bailout. Feedback so far is that TARP is not doing good job of tracking who and where the 700B is going to.

#556 cooler, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

look like the 14-15B GM bailout didn't pass the senate. Asian market is tanking already. I heard they were ~99% in agreement, the deal breaker was UAW refusing to take a wage cut to match their japanese auto worker counterparts. Amazing, those UAW workers rather see their company goes bankrupt than having a steady job.

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..do i hear $20 billion? do i hear $21 billion deficit??..let's have an auction..

just want to throw in my 3 sens, as a CA resident:p:
    ..not a poli-sci expert nor majored in poli-sci:p, but as i heard it through the Napa Valley grapevine, this whole "California is going bankrupt talk" is repeating itself. Power of compounding? State takes less money but at the same time govt. is still spending at a high level & they're doing the spending with money they don't have. And a great deal of the spending has to do with all the unions (there goes that word, again:p) that are in CA; esp. the teachers' union. The unions don't want to be cut, the teachers union doesn't want to be cut. Compound all of those contracts with all the borrowing by the state lawmakers (yes, made up of Dems), no wonder CA's deficit has kept on growing.
    They think by taxing the people more, to make up for the deficit, it will solve it. But in effect, it'll slow the economy.

Here are a couple of links to read:
    http://www.boncherry.com/blog/2008/12/01/state-of-california-going-bankrupt-by-feb-09/
    http://whiskeyandgunpowder.com/is-california-going-bankrupt/

What can CA do right now? Well, unfortunately, imo, there's no magic pill to this problem. One thing they can do is, the govt. can stop the high spending. But will they? Now, even if all the lawmakers/the govt. up in Sac-town try to hide the problem, it's gotten so big they probably couldn't lie their way out of it. As an anology, it's almost like one is looking face to face with an elephant. How is one going to ignore the elephant??.:p
    Maybe one way is to completely overturn the lawmakers from the Dems to a more conservative GOP lawmakers?;)
    :p...aahh, the union, again, eh??..just as i mentioned about them not too long ago..And they'll probably come back, even if the companies go bankrupt..:p

Speaking of the so called "car czar", as part of the car bailout plan & who's supposed to control those auto car companies, should BWF hire a "badminton czar" to control/investigate all the supposed walk-outs, withdrawals, match-fixings etc.??..:p...Heck, maybe we can have a "BC czar" to solve all the arguments..oh wait, we already have kwun..;):):cool:

#558 ctjcad, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  19. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    well... things happens... u know... ;)

20. silentheart

Did you know that UAW worker get pay average $70 per hour to assemble cars? Did you know Toyota, Honda non-union worker get average pay about $35 (may be $40) to do the same job? Did you know that UAW worker get pay 90% when small 3 shut down the factory and retool for new model year and they do not work?
    Why can't UAW take a 40% pay cut and keep 95% of jobs for their worker while you want to keep 95% of your pay and cut 40% of jobs and hurt the other union brothers/sisters from the suppliers?
    Lots of people are happy to have a job that pay $20 per hr right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.