Zymax strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Lobeh, Jul 24, 2009.

1. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    I say try 23. Your choice though. I tried ZM70, 67, and 62 all at 24, and they all felt at least 3-4 pounds tighter than my BG66 at 23.

2. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

is this the characteristic of all 3 Zymax strings, to string approximately 10% lower tension compared to our normal prefered tension? i know for my Zymax 62 i had to reduce tension by 1-2 lbs to get back the same kind of feel compared to my regular string tension. i am tempted to try out Zymax 67 next...:p

3. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    illusionistpro told me 10 percent lower, and it does work out to be 2 pounds lower, and after testing it out, he was quite right. I got the same feel once it was 2 pounds lower than my usual tension, but ZM62 gave me more power than bg66 did, along with the same feel.

4. adonis

adonis Regular Member

DC Badminton Panda Power Australian Distributor, S
    haha easy tiger, didn't know you're trying Zymax strings. Where are you getting them from?

I'm currently fixed on the NBG98 and BG80. Will try the Zymaxs after I get my next few round of purchases done with :)

5. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Regular Member

Bum
    Stringer's World is the place for Ashaway strings and my favoured Karakal pu super grips. Delivery is affordable and quick - last lot got here in 6 days - and at ten bucks a string, you can't go wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the crappy advise people, now I'm completely confused lol

6. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    LOL easy there Easy Tiger. If you like BG80 at 24lbs (23x25), string ZM67 at 22 (21x23). Then adjust as necessary.

Most here move down 2 pounds when switching over (from what I've read), and a small fraction move down 1 pounds, and an even tinier fraction actually move up.

Also if you're paying ten bucks per pack, whether its aud or usd, I feel its overpriced. NRC Sports here in the US is selling ZyMax at 5 USD per pack, 90 USD for a 200m reel.

7. Easy Tiger

Bum
    Clearly you've never shipped anything from the UK to Australia. AUD10 [USD9] includes amortised shipping costs.

When you consider a string job here can cost anywhere up to 35 bucks, the 10 bucks for the Ashaways plus the 9 I pay for stringing represents very good value down here.

8. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    Oooo I forgot Stringers World was based in UK. Point well taken sir.

9. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

you can also get the string from this web, which offers free worldwide shipping.

http://www.tiopan.com/~badminton/index.php

However, I haven't tried them before, so I can't comment much about their service.

10. Easy Tiger

Bum
    Bugger, Dink has convinced me to go with white ZM67 rather than platinum. Apparently it plays better. It damn well better because the platinum looks cool as.

Maybe I should get another 900T and Z-Slash so I can string one with white and one with platinum so I can contrast-and-compare for myself. ;)

11. kenmiyake

kenmiyake Regular Member

Easy Tiger, May I know why Dink said white is better than platinum? Is it for all ZM 62, ZM67 and ZM70? Many thanks

12. Easy Tiger

Bum
    All of them. He reckons the dye effects performance to a noticeable degree, so not being one that spends all my time with my head up his butt, I've decided to see for myself if it's true or not.

I'm hoping in a small way that I'm that crap of a player that I don't notice, because the platinum is tres cool.

13. kenmiyake

kenmiyake Regular Member

It seemed that this is the outcome from Sir Dink's review in our Ashaway strings. Oh dear, I need to change my order as I was thinking to get platinum for ZM62 as well. Thanks for your reply. BTW, please let me know after you have done your test.

14. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    I also decided to check out if there is a noticable difference. I have three very similar rackets and I've strung each one at the same tension with ZM62, each one with a different color. I'll test out all 3, rotate the strings, test again, rotate one last time, test one last time.

15. jerby

jerby Regular Member

With ZM67 I like white best. Grey/silver feels 1-1.5lbs lower than white strung at the same tension. yellow is somewhere in between I think.
    Go for white I'd say... (just like micropower)

16. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Easy Tiger

You've asked a good question and it deserves an answer.

Zymax tends to string tighter. It's possibly due to it's tension retaining properties.

I had the same problem as you. I strung 1 racquet at 24lbs in BG80 but chose to string my other in Zymax 0.67 guage at 22lbs.

I can tell you now that they are very different and I wish I'd gone for a like for like test. That way I could measure creepage (tension loss) by rotating the racquets.

I have found that Zymax strings soon begin to move, moreso than BG80. I do accept I will get string movement anyway but I was getting more with Zymax.

I've had the string in my racquet since late August and it has performed well. I'm taking it out tomorrow and replacing with BG66 Maxima.

Would I use Zymax again? Possibly, although personally, I don't think it's as good as BG80.

To sum up. String the Zymax at 24lbs so you have a better comparison.

Hope this helps a little.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

17. Easy Tiger

Bum
    Thanks Paul. I find BG80 pretty much stays put with my current stringer. In the past it's dropped fairly dramatically but I've weeded out the good stringers from the not so good, so I have consistency there.

I'm going to stick with 24lbs, largely so I can compare apples with apples, and from there we'll see how things go.

There seems to be consensus that the 62 works better at lower tensions, so I might even try that next as I've never used anything under .66.

Curious to see how you go with the Maxima.

18. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
  19. huangxl

huangxl Regular Member

Student
    Tried briefly my zymax 62 on Superwaves 35 at 25lbs, string moves alot on cross and main. Never experience it before. Excellent sound and repulsion with good control. Might still to it long term. Just find moving the string back a hassle. LOL

20. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

my zymax 62 strung @ 22lbs on my Trixon 8, after 1.5 months usage, still moves alot on the stringbed after each game...:mad::mad::mad:
    guess we just have to get used to it lor....meantime waiting for my platinum coloured zymax 67 to come in soon.