Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

LD leaked so many UEs, but that was probably because he was rattled by LCW's brickwall defence and super smashes. Plus LCW was reading LD's net shots and anticipating them.

but what I couldn't understand was the number of clears or half court+half pace smashes LD chose to hit when he was in a position to show some bravery, take initiative and make something happen (esp when the match had got to a crucial stage when it was clear LCW would not give LD cheap points) - the old LD would have been far more aggressive and enterprising at this stage and when put in such a position.

That's the mystery to me in this match - it's like LD just kept playing it safe and hoped for LCW to crumble. the above poster is right, LD's game has changed recently... maybe he's lost that half-step due to his lack of matchplay/ reduced training intensity?? After all, he's done it all... motivation surely can't be the same...

#1961 badders2006, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  2. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    couldnt agree with your analysis more badders2006... it was a very quite LD today.. and lately to be honest... it was like he was waiting for LCW to make UEs, rather than hitting it down when given the opportunity... very unlike himself...

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I think also playing in the German Open prior to the All England fatigued him a little. He did not seem as explosive and was a little slow reading some of LCW's drop shots. His legs didn't have it today.

4. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Yes, ld's game has changed over the years,

He just needs to, many are reading his game well and most important

he doesn't want to stress himself too much over the remaining time he is going to enjoy playing :D

Changing his game doesn't mean he is old or slow :D

Just look at how lcw pumped himself so much to win : D

Do anyone of us think if lcw just lost his focus for two minutes,

would he be able to win the final? : D

Anyway, credit should be given to ld for his splendid performance against lcw.:)

After the final ended we can see his facial expression he wanted that title as well

But despite losing, he still show great sportsmanship this time, hugging lcw :) bravo :)

5. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

[​IMG]

Cant expect the 28 yr old body to play like a 21 year old. The mind to play it might be there but the wisdom might say, hey I cant do this week after week. Got to conserve a little or change my game. Other wise I can beat LCW by giving him single digit reply in KO by playing my old style and then get bundle out by MZ in semis of AE 2011 (which is impossible to happen to 21 year old LD but very plausible for a 28 year old LD thinking he is a young man). LD is choosing the timing to get himself in explosive mood when he has to.

He wanted to be explosive in the 2nd in the match with LCW but there was self doubt as LCW kept control of the pace and he was out of position most of the time to hit a devastaing smash because LCW was making LD twist and turn. When LCW was returning smashes where lesser mortals would have fall flat on the court, LD was wise not to continue smashing.

6. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    The fact that LD hardly wins 2 tournaments in a row......wont be easy for LD to play full schedule as he was not like 4 yrs ago....

7. s3160717

s3160717 Regular Member

Lin Dan is legendary. LCW is professional.

8. bogensaebel

bogensaebel Regular Member

student
    wth??...both are living legends...dont compensate lin dan's loss by degrading others...both will hv good and bad moments..

9. flite

flite Regular Member

Very fair and sensible comments.

In fact I felt very fortunate to have witnessed these 2 players battling against one another throughout the years with many high quality matches. Without them, I dare to say badminton ms wouldn't be the same.

As for LD, he just couldn't operate in that super high level all the time. Human being human, everyone has his limit and he simply needs to change his style in order to adapt to his current condition and ability.

With that said, LD is still the man to beat.

10. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

LD has indeed change his playing style..and I was guessing if it could be a lack of motivation to win? So far he has won everything and its like there is nothing left for him to win? He looked sluggish yesterday and when he received alot of balls that he could have smashed or played a winning shot which he did in OG2008, he just lob back, drop or half smash LCW. I feel abit disappointed that he lost though..on the other hand LCW was excellent..in the zone..excellent defence and he learned to relax and not be so serious..he stopped staring at LD when he scored a point haha!

11. Zabee

Zabee Regular Member

Music Related
    yeah.. agree with filte

12. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Yes, for lcw, ld is the only player to beat till London 12 :D

13. mail43249

mail43249 Regular Member

LD was really not trying hard yesterday. At moments I thought he was still doing warms up. He deserves to lose. LCW performance was really exceptional yesterday.

14. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

I've said this before. The top 4 men's singles players will tap out after 2012, I guess. Their body must be begging them to slow it a notch but they still got it mentally to will their way, otherwise they wouldn't have been consistently in the top 4. So whoever wins the OG12 will have the final bragging rights before riding off to the sunset.

15. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    True, at this moment they are lcw, ld, pg and th :)

Before the ae2011, it was ld, lcw, th and pg :D

I could be wrong but nobody is gonna be right until London 2012:D

16. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

actually Im quite puzzled why people always included PG and TH when BCL and CJ are better than them? shouldnt it be LD, LCW, BCL and CJ?:)

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Why people always included PG and TH when BCL and CJ are better than them?

The 2011 Week 10 World Ranking Lists are just out.

For the top 6 Mens Singles players, here are their rankings;

1. Lee Chong Wei (MAS)........89197 points
    2. Taufik Hidayat (INA)..........76392 points
    3. Lin Dan (CHN)...................72474 points
    4. Peter Gade (DEN)..............69975 points
    5. Chen Long (CHN)...............67133 points
    6. Chen Jin (CHN)..................62492 points

Unfortunately Bao Chunlai was ousted from the top 10, dropping five places to No.13.

Source: http://bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=14955

18. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

hey but this isnt a good way to see if a player is better than the other..TH is 2nd and is higher than LD, BCL and CJ but he hasnt beaten them in dunno how many years..PG too..cant win against the CHN players..This system is just ranking points based on tournament performances..If LD and LCW don't play SS anymore and they ranks drop to like 14 and 15 respectively dont tell me you will exclude them from the top 4. LOLZ!

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    No one can prove that I am wrong

True. :):):)

This system is just ranking points based on tournament performances.

I have said before that I am better than LCW and LD. It's just that I don't participate in tournaments now, so no one can say that I am wrong to say that I am better than them. :p:p:p

But seriously speaking, it's useless to speak without action (just criticising myself :):):)).

#1979 chris-ccc, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  20. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

Could help but notice the similarities between the LCW-LD of today and the LD-TH of the past.
    In 2005/2006, Taufik just became Olympic Champion. Played very little tournaments but had done well on the big occasions (Anaheim, Doha). Lin Dan, on the other hand, won a string of Opens but faltered on the big stage.
    In 2009/2010, LD is the OG Champion now. Playing less and less tournaments but still manages to do well in "important" matches (Hyderabad, Guangzhou). LCW, following the trend, has been the SS circuit big winner, but has so far not performed well in WC and failed to capture AG.
    Interesting trend.