Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I've watched the first 3 mins of 1st video. Although the practice is based around the transition from a forward base to a two footed block jump with forehand smash, in a couple of respects the exercise is pointless. Your technique and standard of play is much higher than this easy practice.

1) You need to make the practice more open and game like.
    2) In a match you'll play too many loose shots because of what you do in practice.
    3) The first 3-4 shots in the practice where you return the shuttle to mid court with "nothing shots". This is a waste of time.
    4) Forehand block jump is the practice. You need to think when and where this should be done. It would be more gamelike if the feeder placed the shots into the forehand rearcourt corner so that you could practice varying your angle of return, straight smash, drop or clear, cross court drop etc.

First three shots/ blocks are for what exactly? Maybe trying to bring the opponent forward? Therefore you could try a sequence to block to the net to bring the feeder/opponent closer.

1) block, block, net shot, then your feeder would lift away to forehand rearcourt for you to practice the block jump etc.

Basically try to utilise the whole drill and make it more gamelike

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks! The first shots are supposed to be blocks to the mixed point, and the lift should be random, not always the 3rd or 4th shot. It's more of a mixed doubles drill, but I'll make sure to do harder drills myself from now on. :)

3. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    in these untrained eyes,
    I think, everything is fine
    the only thing I can recommend would be
    for net shot, try to use more wrist power, you tend to use your arms (you lift your arm instead flick your wrist) resulting the bird travels really slow (an instant kill if in double)

btw, not really about your training, but the court is pretty close with the wall
    and, is that a Tpro? :p

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Ah thanks. On my level, that is not a problem, but as I'm getting better every week, it would soon be a bother. Thanks for pointing it out.

The gym we're in is pretty bad, the ceiling is very low as well - but it's for free (as we're both in the club) and we have 5 hours available every Tuesday. There are only a few low-level players there who let us train in peace, which is nice - on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays you have to leave the court after one match and depending on the number of people there may have to wait quite a bit. Fridays are better but shorter.
    Yes, the racket at the end is a TPro :D

5. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    Two and a half years has past since picking up a racket and playing badminton... entered the hampshire bronze in uk for some experience, and got put in the same group as the number 2 seed :(.. anyway, here's a short video:
    im the one in black
    cheers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtRdEDeWYg8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUAEJW1wC14

still need to get some more confidence and discipline in the game.. i think tournaments can only help you adjust to the competitive level

#1025 Babyface, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Seems to me like you have very good basics - you split-step well and have good, solid technique (e.g. the backhand clear is nice&long). What I noticed is that you often seem to lack a bit of aggressiveness and fighting spirit. You seem to hold back slightly on net shots&kills and give up quite a few rallies when you're on defence. Your defensive stance is a bit high and relaxed at times - if your opponent is in a good position to smash, you'll need to be ready for that. You've got the necessary speed to get to his shots, just force yourself and try ;)

That being said - you play pretty good, very impressive. Better, cleaner technique than me :D

7. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    the only thing you need is to train more in game condition (not training)
    you have pretty good basic
    but unprepared against smash

maybe like j4ckie said
    you need a little bit aggressive?

8. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    thanks Jackie and Avenger... honestly, i dont train at all, just play for fun.. havent played in a couple of months... just thought id enter as it was close to home.
    Met a ex malaysian pro, Allan Tai, and he said similar things.. good basics, but i need to start working on drills and train for explosive power, be more motivated, dont give up, confidence, play in more competitions etc. he thought i was ok though for a person learning how to play from watching videos for 2 years lol..

thanks for the advice, will probably start training and workout to improve.. never really thought about getting really good at the sport as i started so late... but the more i play, and the more feedback and criticism i get, the more it makes me want to get better..
    thanks

#1028 Babyface, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Training ALWAYS helps - no matter how late you start. You might not become a pro anymore (although even that isn't for sure ;)) but in the vid, you look a lot younger than me...so why would you think it's too late? If you enjoy playing (&training), play. That simple :D And your basics are REALLY solid, you just need to change your mindset and physique a little to be lethal. Just a little training will probably reduce errors and increase your accuracy to a very good level...

10. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Hi babyface, not heard from you for a while, I can see that your badminton is carrying on improving. for someone who only been playing for 2 and a half year with such techniques it is a good achievement.

The next step you need is to have a quicker footwork around the court and play more games so you have more experience in reading your oopponent shots thus you would be split second quicker. Defensive skills needed to be work on , it seems like that you are giving up on some shots.......you always need to be ready and concentrate ......once you lift that shuttle , return to the base....look where your opponent is ......... watch his racket and his wrist just before the impact of the shuttle (not his arm cus it can be deceiving) ........read where that shuttle is going....... and return the shuttle to space if possible.

BTW , lifting it to their backhand side is always a + and crosscourt lifting is ok for singles as long as you get it close to the line !!

You need a coach , is there not a qualified university coach for you lots ?

11. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    dont go to university anymore.. finished, so moved back home.. therefore i dont actually play anymore... just thought id enter for fun... definitely need to move faster.. the thing is, i think its down to not concentrating, hence giving up on rallies etc... will probably start playing again soon.
    thanks for the replies

12. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
  13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Often it feels harder than it looks - e.g. a lunge which feels very deep looks pretty relaxed 'cause you're used to seeing the pros do it. You can't see how tired you were during the game - sometimes I also lack the will to fight for every shot, especially when I'm prone to errors and gift away rally after rally, mental strength lacking slightly. I don't know how to fix that - for me it gets better with playing more demanding matches, against (clearly) better players where I'm absolutely expected to lose, but can still get the rally going. Those matches improve my ability to cope with trailing behind (as I'm outclassed and very rarely get into the lead) and also my focus, blending out the last rally and just concentrating on the next is hard for me.

14. Densha

Densha Regular Member

Student
    hello everybody,
    this is my 2nd season in competition (3rd in a club), I play a lot but I don't practice enough.
    I've reached the lowest rank possible but I feel like I don't have improved enough and I'm trying now to practice against stronger oponents.
    here are some clips from my latest tournament.
    Unfortunately, my partner and I are facing club mates, so there's some pression because we know each other but they have not played as good as usual.

These are the end of the 1st game and the complete 2nd game. Please feel free to post comments on me and the other players and I'll tell them afterwards (I'm the tiny guy with the blue shirt):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKDCSMQ4GBM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUz21OCeVH4

Thanks !

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Densha

Some obvious points:

For you, you're probably the best of all four. But you have one major flaw that you need to quickly correct: you're starting your serves too low, practically below your belt line. By doing this, you've already disadvantaged yourself before the rally even starts. Your partner has the best serve of the four; ask him to teach you how to hold and serve it properly from just below the waist.

For your partner, he may be too old to change and already has developed this long term bad habit. But his forehand power shots eg smash/clear involves too much shoulder: he's trying to muscle these shots too much. Instead, he has to learn to use his forearm and wrist/finger power more. Whip it thru instead of trying to pound it thru.

16. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    Doubles match:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N1_ZEYOx2w

there are 5 parts.

this was after my singles matches.. just woke up after a nap in the hall (due to waiting for 4 hours!!) so decided to play defensive in the game.

17. Densha

Densha Regular Member

Student
    @ visor
    thanks, I've already noticed that I've been serving too low. But thanks to you, I have tried to serve higher and my opponents that my serves are too good to be attacked :D so thank you so much, works pretty well.

I've told my friends for their points.

Anyone else ? Opinions ? ^^

18. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I'll echo what others have said about your defensive stance. In the first game I noticed that you often let the shuttle come to you for simple shots, even if this meant taking it lower. You will make things easier for yourself, and also harder for you opponent if you move to the shuttle and take it earlier.

In the second game I noticed that your reply to a straight drop was a stright net shot 99% of the time. When you served forehand, you served long 100%. My point is that if you are predictable, its' easier for your opponent. On your return of serve in the third game you varied it quite a lot, lifts and net shots - a lot o fthe nets your oppo only just got to.

19. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    hey.. thanks for taking the time to watch... will definitely try and start training in singles as these points only adds more interest to me in the game. cheers

20. TKChai

TKChai Regular Member

Student
    Small world Babyface!
    I didn't know you knew Jamie? I swear his defence is usually much better than this though.