Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Pictures are better than 1,000, err make it 100,000 words;)...maybe Chris can post a video of himself demonstrating good footwork that he learnt from The Thing for us to see, hopefully I can better my concrete footwork:D

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Not as simple as you have mentioned. ;););)

Pictures and videos only show us how things were performed.

But, we also need to get into the players' minds (to know what they were thinking as they were performing).

If we get into LCW's mind (as he jumped up to smash), there are so many options he could do, like;

* Smash as hard as possible (which I call the 'KILL')
    * Smash as hard as possible down the line.
    * Smash as hard as possible cross-court.
    * Smash in a way to expect a certain reply.
    * Smash with a bit of slice effect (to deceive/wrong foot his opponent).
    * Smash softer so that LCW can have more time to play his next shot.
    * etc, etc, ......

The possibilities can be so many. LCW can have an endless list of options.

Therefore, it is not easy to explain (with just words or with just photos/videos).

#7162 chris-ccc, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

BTW, at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, why had Lin Dan performed so well against LCW? It's because Tang Xianfu reminded Lin Dan what to expect from the replies from LCW after certain stokes.

How do I know? After knowing Tang Xianfu's philosophy, I can only guess what he had told Lin Dan before the match. And also how he had trained Lin Dan at the 2008 OG (in anticipation for him to face LCW at the Finals).

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I am very happy to see that you are very interested to learn at your age. Got beaten by some female players lately?

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The Chinese have for sometime now identified LCW's weakness. Hence it will be extremely difficult for LCW to keep up with LD and CL. I am afraid it is only more of a downhill battle.
    You will note that whenever LCW plays against these two Chinese players they will attack LCW's forehand deep into the backline. Just look at the speed such shots to the backline are executed by LD and CL. This forces either a net return or a short of a full length clear. If it is a net return LCW will have problems because both CL and LD are much faster at the net than LCW. A less than full length clear to the backline will be met with an aggressive smash. Also LCW almost always loses in any encounter with these two Chinese that involve flat drives/shots.

6. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Not yet, those matured hens have a long way to go to catch up to this old fox:D:p

7. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    well, on paper china have it all.
    skills, strategy, sparing players, facilites...
    Msia got nothing but only rely on msia boleh spirit...
    LD got his wife to provide enough motivation that he should fight for...

We need tap into things that china dont have...toyol or bomoh kinda things...hehe
    things out of box or baddy court...

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Nice to see you back Ee Pak. :)

Let's hope LCW somehow got your feedback and work hard to counter his two most dangerous rivals.

He might yet become the first Olympic gold medal winner for MAS!

MALAYSIA BOLEH! :D

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

So many BCers have given up on LCW?

OMG... So many BCers have given up on LCW? :eek::eek::eek:

But I have not. Let's find LCW prove me correct. ;););)

10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Looks like some full blown politics in play now huh? ;)

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Sometime ago Malaysia's high performance coaching director James Sevarage (?) came near to pointing out the reason why LCW is being increasingly upstaged by China's No. 2 CL, but James did not get it quite right, only partially.
    James's suggestion that LCW should counter CL's persistent attacks to LCW's two backline corners was to return crosscourt instead of straight. That is easier said than done, simply for the reason that LCW was never behind those deep shots and was forced to take them on his back foot. LCW's stance when taking a forehand high shot at the backline is both his strength but at the same time a tragic weakness against LD and CL. His strength against other opponents bar CL and LD was his rotational cross court smashes, with his classic stance of facing the side/back in the initial preparation. LCW's recovery from here is slow for him to reach the net. Just compare his stance when dealing with a deep high forehand shot with LD's and you will see why LD can reach the net from the backline so much faster than LCW, to the extent that LD can afford to stay almost a hair's breadth away from the net. You will see LCW a few feet away from the net. In such a situation you are in dire trouble. If you lose control of the net it is a hopeless situation.

12. KillerQT

KillerQT Regular Member

Let's expect less games for LCW next year... and maybe more loses. At the time of OG2012 he will be at peak and win the gold this time.

Well I'm just thinking of their strategy... I hope I'm correct... :)

13. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    Hopefully some Malaysian friends can help me(American) understand BAM a little more.

How is the top position(s) i.e. (President/Council) of BAM appointed? How does BAM acquire it's funding? To my understanding clubs like KLRC are not under BAM, what is the dynamic between large Clubs and BAM? What do you think the chances of a top player like LCW becoming one of the leaders of BAM, could he even be effective ... why or why not?

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

To understand BAM a little more

You might expect that BAM to be an organisation formed in the interest of Badminton. Unfortunately, BAM is formed in the interest of the nation. Read this article for more info;

http://nssdc1.rssing.com/browser.php?indx=2237540&last=1&item=25

You could also go to the BAM website to find out the answers to your questions. Read this thread for more info;

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/79261-BAM-website-link

15. viver

viver Regular Member

I think Lin Dan surprised Lee Chong Wei with his play at OG 2008. LCW probably did not expect LD to go 'all out' from the start. But what is a bit surprising to me, was that LCW did not recompose during the break and did not have an alternative counter plan.

I agree that Tang Xinfu was heavily involved and probably the master strategist behind it. But what does this tells us about his philosophy, his training methods and how he changed Lin Dan's perspective?

The tactics displayed at OG 2008 match was a one time only. LD did not repeat that dominance and LCW also able to beat LD a few times after that. So, from your perspective, what was the change in Lin Dan's technique that enabled him to convey out the tactical gameplan when playing LCW in OG 2008? What were Tang Xinfu's training methods that changed LD's playing behaviour?

#7175 viver, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  16. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    LCW post-game interview, LCW said he had no clue how to play LD, LCW looked at MS hopelessly. LD was too fast, his reflex and anticipation of where the bird land was amazing, and you can see Thing controling LD emotion guiding him to stay focus until the last point was won. That probably tells us why 'LCW did not recompose during the break and did not have an alternative counter plan' cos there was none.
    LD was lean, very fit and muscle with no fat in OLY08 final, after OLY08 LD basically took a sabbatical even losing to Choi EAG and basically not played much. With OLY12 closing in, you can see LD in the last 3 encounter with LCW was looking fit, fast and lean, looking very much like the LD in OLY08, that to me means LD is peaking up for OLY12 and the majors along the way.
    Chris said 'Tang Xianfu reminded Lin Dan what to expect from the replies from LCW after certain stokes', IMO, LD played a game plan that simply outplayed LCW with LCW no clue how to respond.
    Now, which LD will show up in OLY12? LD was 4 years older in OLY12, I say LD in OLY08 was LD best performance as a baddy player, to exceed or equal that feat, I would say not possible, but looking at LD played recently against LCW/CL, his face is lean, his stamina and speed are back, the smashing power still there, and considering that LCW is also 4 years older as well, that 2nd gold is looking good.

17. viver

viver Regular Member

OneToughBirdie,
    Wish you a good year in 2012, improvements in badminton and all other aspects that matters, especially health.

I agree with all that you said and I also read LCW's post OG 2008 match interview. As for Tang Xinfu's role, was he there only to control LD's emotions and provide indications on court positioning? If that's the case, what are Tang Xinfu's training methodologies and game philosophy? No improvements in LD's technical aspects after being trained by Tang Xinfu?

18. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Hey, happy new year to all people here at Badminton Central! :)

19. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Happy New Year to all in BadCentral. May your idols achieve Olympic gold in 2012 (not at the expense of my idol, hehe) and most importantly good health for many many years to come.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I like to think not everything is lost for LCW.

Remember he managed to beat both CL and LD in AE 2011, albeit 9 months ago. I don't have the video to take another good look but someone here may be able to analyze his game to highlight his strengths then over his two CHN rivals.

Was LCW faster, his strokes sharper, his smashes more telling than now. Was he more confident and more focused?

Or after their defeats, the CHN coaches looked deeper into the reasons why and came out with a better strategy to counter LCW. Now it is unlikely that Tang XF was involved in such discussions or feedback. He has long retired and out of the scene, unlike in Beijing Olympics 2008.

With his win in AE 2011, LCW showed he was technically and mentally superior than both CL and LD, even without coach MS. Does it mean that LCW is completely useless in the nine months that followed?

Of course not! For he still maintained his WR1 position until this day.

So both LCW and LD are now without their mentors to guide them and act as inspirations.
    What LCW needs to do is to replay his two AE victories and visualize his moments of triump over LD and how he was able to beat him into submission. And meanwhile to brush up his fitness, both physical and mental and his strokes.

Having seen how LD was transformed in the presence of his master Tang XF during the Thomas Cup in Jakarta, during which we BCers who gathered there had so much fun together, and read reports of coaches, I would say that the mental strength which provides the confidence to win and that extra ingredient to stay on and fight to the end, surpasses them
    all.

LCW has a chance to take the Olympic title just as LD has.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody!