Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. jajvirta

jajvirta Regular Member

Programmer
    As for taking the shuttle early, I'm puzzled as to why the guy on the video who looks exactly like me let's the shuttle drop so much. I have to have a serious conversation with him. :)

I think it takes a bit more to make myself take the shuttle earlier in shots from the back court, but there's absolutely no reason to let them drop close to the net when I have all the time in the world.

About the pronation/wrist, I'll definitely experiment using less whole arm and more pronation.

Thanks for the comments!

2. Alapongtai

Alapongtai Regular Member

you guys are really good... i have some questions
    1. how long have you guys been training/trained?
    2. how old are you guys?
    3. how good are you guys compared to other players in your community/city?

sorry if someone asked these already :)
    i wish i were that good at badminton -.-

3. carpediem

carpediem Regular Member

finance
    good skill....good rotation, keep spirit on!:)

4. hn8790

hn8790 Regular Member

Business Systems Manager
    Hi Jonster thanks for the comments although I'm slightly skeptical that the average rally length is less than 5 shots. You only have to watch an international pair to see that the average rally length is much higher. To be honest we were perhaps less aggressive at the net with it being training, even being more aggressive I dont think the rallies would be any shorter because in a game situation, we're faster and give 110% effort to make every shot. In doubles I think rallies should be longer you have less openings and it generally comes down to who makes the first mistake to break down the rally. I always maintain that skills have to be coupled with consistency...put 2 consistent pairs together and you will get long rallies.

Alapongtai, just to answer your questions, I'm now 31 and have been playing since about 16 years old, unfortunately I have never been coached which is why its taken me so long to get to the level I am at now. We are all "county players" which obviously means we have to be the best in that region to represent. The other ages are 34, 19 and 18. Just keep training, put in the hours and always push yourself to play better players...you never know where you might go, good luck :)

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    hmm, sounds familiar!!

6. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    I think Jonster got it wrong, it is 3 shots from the attacking side in MD , but when playing higher level of badminton , the opponents defends are so good , that often their defends can turn into attack ,so this rule doesnt really apply (you just need to keep attacking and force them to make a mistake). Maybe if you got smashes like Fu Haiefeng then you can win the rally in 2 but for ordinary players like us , we just be glad to win the point in whatever many shots it takes in a rally.

Sometimes a defensive lift (with good height /placement) from the net is not a bad choice of shot if you know your your defensive play can cope with their attacking display ( i.e. weaker smashes) . Net shots are good if you can keep them tight , anything lose will end up in the net or it will get dispatch by the other side.

On the video , did you guys measured the height of the net ?

and would like to ask , how many times do you play badminton per week ?

are you all in the Shropshire 1st or 2nd team ?

7. hn8790

hn8790 Regular Member

Business Systems Manager
    Hi Staiger, didnt measure the nets no but I'm pretty sure the are just standard height we play there a fair bit, sounds weird but even if a post is an inch out I can usually tell.. normally something doesn't quite look right.

Unfortunately I dont play as much or train as much any more so at present I only play local league and county matches which cant vary once to 4 matches in a week...on average I probably play 2 or 3 times a week.

I personally have played for both the 1st and second team this season. Guy in pink and blue have been playing all first team matches. Guy in red like myself have played both 1st and 2nd. To be honest we're all very close in standard and can all beat each other in doubles, Guy in pink is one of our best singles players.

8. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Hey guys,

I haven't been able to play any serious badminton in almost 8 months due to an injury to my right shoulder. However, I did get a fun video of myself playing left-handed in a match against our rival university. I still feel totally uncoordinated when I play lefty but it's plenty of fun. This video is after about a month of "practice". I'm the one in the middle court, wearing the red shirt and black shorts (initially wearing white pants and blue jacket).

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg0mC0nfaBM

[video=youtube;Yg0mC0nfaBM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg0mC0nfaBM[/video]

9. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Wow. that is just insane that you can do that much within a month. It's not only just using your left arm, you have to change your entire footwork to match the left-handed style of play which is incredibly hard. That was an actual match, not a friendly one? What was the score? I'm curious haha =p.

10. thejym

thejym Regular Member

It was an actual match :) I think the score was 21-17 21-15 in my favor? I was playing their #6 though, I can't say I would've won if I played anyone else.

11. cck1609

cck1609 Regular Member

it's incredible that u can master most of the basic strokes within a month. anyway, your oppnent in yellow shirt is actually rather weak in term of skill and footwork.

12. jajvirta

jajvirta Regular Member

Programmer
    thejym, did playing left-handed give you any new insights about learning the basic technique? I guess it must have been slightly frustrating at times as you know how to execute the strokes in theory but the hand doesn't co-operate? :)

13. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

So disappointed.... I recorded a really good game over the weekend but because I mis-read my camera and accidentally deleted it :(

14. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Well, playing left handed gave me a good understanding about how a beginner would feel as he or she tries to learn the proper technique and footwork. For the first 2-3 weeks I felt really uncoordinated (as if my upper body and lower body were separate entities), and even after that I could still feel that some actions felt weird (like a jump smash).

Of course, it was easier for me to pick up because it was just a matter of mirroring my right-handed motions. I can understand how difficult it can be for a beginner to learn proper techniques on their own unless they have very astute observation skills and spend enough time on studying the techniques. I personally found it easier to pick up the finer techniques (i.e. net play) as opposed to shots that require more power. Even when my overhead stroke technique was satisfactory, the power still wasn't there -- it took a while to build up, but considerably less time to achieve the same power as someone who was using a less correct technique.

Also, after a few days of play I realized that it would be meaningless for me to proceed without spending time on fixing my footwork. It was easy for me to fix my front court footwork, but I struggled more with the rear court footwork. Ultimately, if you want to increase the level of play that you can reach, it is definitely worth the time to re-analyze your every technique and even start re-learning from the very beginning. I found that by learning to use more proper strokes and footwork, I was able to play at a higher level than some people who have played for years with the incorrect technique. Of course, I had the benefit of having no prior experience playing with my left hand -- from my coaching experiences, I observed that many people with a few years' experience really struggled to forget what they've learned and practiced for years. They try to make small adjustments to their stroke, without changing the basic mechanics, so their improvement is slow.

15. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    As always ;)
    gonna have to work hard to actually raise fitness ..

16. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    man we should post a vid when i am back:) hopefully cut down the 6 week recovery to 4? shud b ok for one of the tournaments? when is the tuen mun one again?

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Are you 2 from Bristol? Too bad I didn't know that earlier, we were there for a weekend with a whole group of Badminton players back in September! You could've joined us on one day (or more) when we were playing....this year, they're coming over though, so it'll be quite some time before I go there again.

18. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    More videos are on the way !

19. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Was the other guy playing with his other hand/arm as well, because he is awful !

20. jordanbryant

jordanbryant Regular Member

none
    heyy everyone i was wondering what sort of camera specs would be satisfactory for a decent enough video of me playing because i would like to take a video of some of the players at the club but the camera on my phone would be awfull, im not a camera wizz either so i just need to know basic specifications i.e megapixels etc. thanks