Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Its time for others to be more proactive to reproduce more children. Quick, do it every night to beat china population. lol. ;)

2. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    China has to watch out for these two players: Tago and Santoso. I will say these two are the favourites to win the gold medal.

If Lin Dan does not perform like how he did in Asian Games, he will be overwhelmed by these players' energy and speed.

3. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

with respect to Simon and Tago, i think the two are also unstable. so it will depend on how they perform in OG, same as LD's case now.

and i still hope that LD can bounce back from his off-form performance now at OG later. remember what happened early in 2008 (especially in TC), but finally he can perform well in the OG. hope it can repeated this time. :)

4. repentedboy

student la
    Current Lin Dan cannot win the Olympics

What am I saying is if Lin Dan never regains his old form and plays like how he played in Thailand, I can put all my money lay bet (Lin Dan won win at all).

Even if he produced the same performance in Thomas Cup 2012, I still say he wont win because a lot of players are younger, faster and more determined than him to win.

Lin Dan's lack of jump smashes when he should have executed them and his number of unforced errors based on match record statistics will be his undoing.

The winner will be a player who is younger, energetic and powerful in his attack. Tago or Santoso fits the bill. It's the Olympics, so with the assumption they will step up their game.

Initially I thought Lee Chong Wei will win this hands down. Now that he is injured....this event will be the most open competition ever.

5. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

but it's not a sin to keep a hope i think? hehe :D

about LCW's injury, didn't the coaches said that it would heal before OG?

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just watched the replay of the 16th Asian Games 2010 MS Final Lin Dan vs Lee CW - one of Lin Dan's masterpieces in my view for which we must also thank his great rival Lee CW. It's worth watching and again for those who've seen it. For those who understand Mandarin,the commentaries made it even better as one of the two commentators was none other than the legendary Zhao Jianhua, and you would catch more than a glimpse of Grand Master Tang Xianhu with Xia Xuanze. What a magnificent match with a number of brilliant,thrilling rallies.

If Lin Dan can play to that level for this coming LOG,let alone at the level of his Beijing 2008 OG pinnacle,he will undoubtedly win gold again.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8pgzxRRqd8&feature=related

#3186 Justin L, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  7. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    This is why I'm a fan of Lin Dan, he is just so unpredictable. I personally have no idea what his chances of winning the Olympics will be. I think the biggest question is how much Super Dan(Olympic Final LD) is left or is it completely gone or he's just been hiding it all this time? Along with not knowing how good LCW will fare post injury. I hope and have a feeling this is going to be great Olympics, because I think both LCW and LD are going to surprise us one way or another!

8. repentedboy

student la
    Compared to what you watched, this current Lin Dan is far cry way too different.

Slow, too many unforced errors and you see one/two jump smashes in each set which is not a good thing.

LCW on the other hand is one year older, fitter, FASTER and he smashes like a crazy person when he is forced to.

Each rally you definitely see a big smash from LCW. As for LD ? If he delivered one big crosscourt smash in one set, consider yourself lucky to even watch it.

9. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

What makes you believe the current form LD displayed in is representative of the form he usually bring to major competitions, unless you believe the Olympics is not a major competition? I'm pretty sure you're aware that LD has a history of sub-par performances at SS and Open events and also has a history of brilliant performances in what most people consider the majors of badminton. By your logic LCW should have won every major available, but he didn't.

10. repentedboy

student la
    Well I hope I am wrong about Lin Dan's form which he will bring to the Olympics. As time goes by, regardless of what tournament is it, Thomas Cup, All England, or Thailand Open. My assessment or anybody's who can verify this says Lin Dan's current performance will not win him/China the gold. His jump smashes are rarely executed, he prefers to play long rallies even though that is unnecessary, he only starts injecting pace at the crucial moment and most importantly, his number of unforced errors have dramatically increased since god knows when.

If LCW is not injured, his statistics of unforced errors is beyond comparison. Lin Dan's unforced errors will be the main source of points for his opponents. And I am talking about Lin Dan's current form in 2012, before that he is still good enough to stop LCW in a fierce contest. Right now, I am beginning to doubt Lin Dan's ability to do so because his decline is very apparent.

It's a pity because he is only 28 and already let that number affected his game so much. If I am in his shoes and still remind myself I am only 28, glory hunting will be the last thing in my mind as long as the body allows plus with CBA to design special programme for me to maintain my fitness level. I am not asking too much from him to be honest. If you want to play badminton, then play seriously do not have a laugh at it.

Lin Dan should realise the business in London is a serious thing. He shouldn't think of just having fun and playing around for the sake of it. A lot of people will be really pissed if he goes to London with that kind of mentality.

While other players like LHI, Sasaki and especially LCW are playing the best badminton of their life at very late stage but they cannot win big prize.

#3190 repentedboy, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  11. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Now Lin Dan is not taking the Olympics seriously? :confused:

12. repentedboy

student la
    We will see if he is lying or not. His body language is not the same as his once in 2008 before the Beijing edition

13. Satoshi

Satoshi Regular Member

Thanks, and just I was about to look for a badminton video to spice my day up. :)

14. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

What are you talking about? What did he lie about? :confused:

15. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

What the hell,

Have you seen LD play the big matches? Do you not remember his form in the world championships? He showed us a glimpse of his abilities and the greatness that he has. He WILL preform on the big occasion. I know he slacks off in the smaller and lesser tournaments... but heck its lesser tournaments, I don't know even why he enters them to begin with.
    I wish for a finals between LCW and LD as it will probably go down as one of the greatest matches of all time. LCW desperately fighting to obtain a gold while the great LD obstructing him. :p

16. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

i remember that LD didn't won much too before Beijing. but when Beijing started, he perform quite well i think. so i hope he will perform well again this LOG, despite his off-form performance till nowdays.

about LD not smashes, yes, maybe you're right. but somehow, he still reached the final of AE2012 and didn't lose a match in TC. so i don't think that he is that bad.

just hope he now prepared well for the OG, can advanced through the final, give us amazing match to talk about, and would be better if he can grab the gold again. :)

17. repentedboy

student la
    He needs those smashes again to prevent his opponents from narrowing the score gaps. Too many cheap points he has given away from his attempted long rallies and trickshots that failed to work.

LCW at his best would have caused a major problem to LD. Now that he is injured, reaching the semifinal is already considered a miraculous achievement for him. Should he meet CL/CJ, i swear they will make his injury relapse by stretching the match to three games on purpose.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It seems to me many of Lin Dan's ardent fans expect nothing less than LOG gold from him,that's natural. For me,no less a fan than any of you,it's OK really whether he wins it or not for reasons I've stated a number of times before.

The OG is held once in 4 years, so many things can happen in between and 4 years is a long time - you're 4 years older, 25 or 29 years of age is a big deal for a top athlete. Apart from the physical condition is the motivation - if you haven't won anything big, you would probably psych yourself up and give it your best shot. In the case of Lin Dan who has won practically everything there is in badminton, it's more of the same - yeah,double gold medallist is special but the motivation is not the same as winning his first OG gold or 3rd/4th annual world championship,if you know what I mean.

And I will go so far as to say,after the OG, whatever the outcome,the more so if he wins gold again,Li Dan will never be the same again. What else is there to strive for, other than answer the call of national duty in team championships? Badminton is Lin Dan's life but his life isn't only badminton,that's how I see it.:)

I believe his sport psychologist and coaches are aware of his situation. Yes,he's still their main hope for OG gold, but I somehow feel they have prepared another trump card, just in case, Chen Long,perhaps? I suspect Chen Long hasn't been playing to his true potential lately, he is working very hard and biding his time to unleash it all during the games;hope I'm right. Don't forget,Chen Long beat Lee CW three times when the latter was at his prime with no considerable injury nor beset by family problems, at least not as serious as when he was playing Shon Wan Ho. Just my two cents' worth.

19. repentedboy

student la
    You harbored too much expectation on Chen Long. My concern is he will disappoint you again in the group stage. He is not as great as you thought he might be. He isn't Bao Chunlai. I predict Chen Long to exit the tournament without any medal as expected. He can lose to anybody the same as he could beat anybody. Another Wang Xin case here.

Chen Jin is China's real backup plan but does he have what it takes to win gold in Lin Dan's place maybe. All talks in end boils down to Lin Dan as the main trump card. At the age of 28, his game should never have been on the decline. Instead he should be on the same par or even better than LCW. Watch how and what kind of player LCW has become in the past two years? Again I am comparing him with LCW simply because LCW in the late 20s has reached the echelon of his game.

LCW can dive, smash, do trickshots, and move so much faster than his opponents in every rally. Right now, you have to agree LD is unable to execute these moves consistently. This will be potentially a big problem for him in London.

Why Chinese players always complain about fatigue? Aren't they supposed to be fittest athlete in badminton ?

Seems to me only Chinese players are the only ones to highlight they have poor stamina among other players.

20. yves.

yves. Regular Member

Student
    LD isn't unable to execute these shots, he just doesn't want/need to. You're right that his performance in recent tournaments has been somewhat lacking compared to his abilities, but it's still been enough to win every single of his matches in the TC, and that's saying quite a lot. I'd say he's been at 70% of his capabilities in the TC, but we will see a completely different LD when the OG start. I'm sure he's putting all his effort into training right now. I expect him to be at least as good as in the 2011 WC.
    Another thing worth considering is that he has won Gold before, so I believe there isn't as much pressure on him as in 2008 when he was playing in front of his home crowd, trying to win his first medal after a terribly disappointing performance in Athens 2004. We all know he's probably the strongest player mentally, so for me, he's still the big favourite to win the title. I don't see anyone except LCW in the form of his life (which isn't the case as of now) causing him trouble, so I gu (which isn't the case as of now) causing him trouble, so I guess LD can only beat himself.