Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Super Dan just wants a break

The New Paper

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012

He is considered one of the greatest, if not the greatest shuttler to ever walk on this planet.

And now that China's Lin Dan has successfully retained his Olympic men's singles title - a feat that no other shuttler has achieved - what more lies ahead for the 28-year-old they call "Super Dan"?

"I am really, really tired and I would need a break from badminton after this," he said on Sunday night (Singapore time) at a media conference at the Wembley Arena, about half an hour after beating Malaysian Lee Chong Wei 15-21, 21-10, 21-19 in a thrilling final.

"If I am to continue after that, I would need a training system that works for me, along with a clear target, otherwise badminton will become a burden for me."

Lin Dan had added another Olympic gold medal to his collection - which included four in the world championships, two from the World Cups and five in the Thomas Cup Finals.

He is the only man to have completed the sport's Super Grand Slam by winning all of its nine major competitions - Olympic Games, World Championships, World Cup, Thomas Cup, Sudirman Cup, Super Series Masters Finals, All England Open, Asian Games, and Asia Championships.

And Super Dan was clearly emotional after winning a tense match against Lee on Sunday night, a repeat of the 2008 Beijing Olympic final where the Chinese shuttler won 21-12, 21-8.

After Lee had sent the shuttle wide at the final point, Lin Dan dropped his racket and ran wildly towards the crowd, away from the photographers, even as Lee sunk to his knees and buried his face in his hands.

Lin Dan was then wrestled to the ground by his coaches and also covered his face with his hands.

He later threw his jersey into the capacity crowd, who included a large contingent of flag-waving China supporters, and broke into tears.

Graciously, he hugged Lee twice before circling the arena with a China flag draped on his back, to the cheers and applause of an adoring crowd.

Clean sweep

Shortly after his victory, China created Olympic history by claiming an unprecedented sweep of all five Olympic badminton gold medals after Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng won the men's doubles.

The Chinese pair beat Denmark's Mathias Boe and Carsten Mogensen 21-16, 21-15 to complete the domination of the Chinese in the sport.

But for now, Lin Dan has set his eyes on the biggest match of his life - his wife Xie Xingfang, the former women's world No. 1.

He said: "I have a big problem, I hope I can give my wife a good wedding soon.
    "Of course I will invite Chong Wei, Taufik (Hidayat) and (Peter) Gade, but I don't know if they would be free to attend."

Turning to Lee in the media conference, who was seated to his right, Lin Dan addd: "But there's no need to bring big gifts to my wedding. A large hongbao (red packet) will do!"

(Sorry for this late posting as I just returned to the office after taking a week's leave to watch the LOG on TV) ;)

#3384 Loh, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    a large hongbao will do!! hahaa!!!

6. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

what a joke about the big hongbao. :D

thanks for the article, Loh.

btw, after winning the 2012 OG gold medal, Lin Dan make himself still deserved to be called 'the reigning Olympic, World, and Asian Games champion/gold medallist', at least till next year WC. only 2 players managed to be called like that, isn't it? One is Taufik (2002 AG, 2004 OG and 2005 WC), but he just managed to maintain it for 1 year. Lin Dan at least make it 2 years. let's see what will happen in the next WC. :)

7. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

yes. but only Lin Dan can be addressed as 2 times Olympic Champion, 4 times World Champion, 5 times All England champion and World No 1.

8. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Gangster Lin will play WC13 in Guangchau. CHN needs him as CL is not dependable to face LCW. That's my prediction.

9. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

but, will LD still dependable enough then in next year? he's said it, he is tired. :D

10. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

you really think MAS is a big threat to the thomas cup?
    3 points are required to win, where will those 3 points from MAS come from?

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Friend,why do you call him "Gangster Lin"? Because he looks like one to you or he's done something to deserve it? Or merely said tongue-in-cheek? Still name-calling isn't a very nice thing to do. Besides, we shouldn't judge a person by his looks just as we don't judge a book by its cover. :)

12. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    tongue in cheek...;)

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think he's referring to the WC next year, not the 2014 TC/UC.

14. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    WC13, that's what I mean. If LD retires now, CHN is not sure fire to win MS title. Also, CHN is hard pressed to qualify 3 players in the top 4. With no LD, LCW and the other non-CHN top players will be 'mentally stronger' (i.e. bolder).
    As for TC, MAS has 1 safe point...even if CY/FHF retires, MAS is iffy to get 1 MD point. Actually, forget about TC title, MAS would be hard pressed not to get demoted, so forget about TC.

15. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
  16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Must clarify that I heard next month as the wedding second hand from somebody who has been invited.:)

17. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student
    No problem, just can't wait to see that moment if it's really happen :)

18. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I never once believe Lin dan will retire after London Olympic because money in badminton is at its peaks now and also badminton is getting more popular

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Or too many tatoos? :eek::cool::D

20. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    There may be $$$ in pro badminton now but LD has to train hard to play to win to cash into the prize money. Too much work lah, like playing 5 nights to win $25 to $40K.
    LD has won everything, better to retire on top and cash into the endorsements or play exhibition and make money the easy way, i.e. by not playing and still make more $$$ than playing. To continue playing after having everything there is to win, risk losing and tarnish his name.
    But with WC13 at home in Guangchau, I can't see CHN retiring LD, unless CHN can bank on CL winning. With LD out, CHN may have only the 2 Chen qualifiers for WC13, I won't even want to bet a dollar that they can win with the huge pressure playing at home and a hungry LCW awaiting and getting bolder with LD MIA.
    You have read the kiddie story, Little Red Riding Hood..with LD out, LCW is like the wolf salivating the meal:D