Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Then you need to do more drills! :D Sounds stupid, but you really need to do the drills so much that moving that way around the court becomes instinctual. Of course there'll always be certain situations that you haven't practiced beforehand, but if you're able to adapt even the slightest bit there should be no problem once you get the correct footwork patterns down.
    Most important thing in footwork: split step. To get it right, you need to practice, practice, practice. It does not come naturally, so you need to remind yourself to use it in training, and long enough that it becomes subconscious.
    I can only agree with Footwork - watch the Peter Rasmussen video, and start with that drill. At least 15 min per training of footwork!

2. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    Thanks for your advice. I´m really not using my height good enough. For singles i gripped my racket with the LD style to force myself gripping lower. Seems to help a lot. I try to work on these points you mentioned in the training :)
    We play in the Verbandsliga in BW.
    Where do you play / which level?

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Verbandsklasse Hannover in Niedersachsen. So far, pretty successfull individually (MD&MS) :)
    Goal for next season is Niedersachsen-Bremen-Liga as MS3/XD and MD2.

4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

that's 100% true!
    unfortunately, footwork is really hard work. you need to really automatize the correct footwork pattern and establish a good rhythm. especially in singles, it is maybe the most important thing to have proper footwork! if you don't get to the shuttle in time, you can't hit it properly. sounds trivial, but it's true...:rolleyes:

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

A fact I'm bitterly reminded of every time I play singles :D

6. |_Footwork_|

that's a problem all of us face all the time...:crying::crying::crying:

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

#1567 amleto, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  8. |_Footwork_|

red&black or black? who are you?

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

sorry, yes red & black
    start at 01:05
    [video=youtube_share;uOIydWDMy3g]http://youtu.be/uOIydWDMy3g[/video]

let's not mention split steps - I know they are missing everywhere :(

10. |_Footwork_|

you have decent strokes and a pretty good understanding of the game, read a lot of strokes quite well.
    but you lack agility/fitness/speed.
    you often hit the shutle behind the body in the rearcourt or too low at netplay. when you have to change direction (like when the opponent plays a crosscourt sticksmash for example) you get into trouble.

you know the solution: footwork drills, fitness training, running, jumping, you name it...

hard work for sure and not what people love to do, but that will boost your standard to another level as you have a solid foundation concerning strokes!

11. amleto

amleto Regular Member

thanks. The speed/fitness is definitely in-part due to injury, but even before that there is definitely space for improvment...

here is collectors item:
    [video=youtube;-VURvEhR78w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VURvEhR78w[/video]
    I break some strings! :eek:

12. fauci

fauci Regular Member

your racket arm looks very restrained. move faster... to create room between you and the shuttle so that you could extend your arm.

13. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Hello, i finally got the chance to record my matches and here it is. We played against the other which are higher level but we managed to win the match :)

[video=youtube;7FHUq7Q0eQQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FHUq7Q0eQQ&feature=share&list=UU3QjwZH-zhzKti4-X5zEFlw[/video]

2nd game

[video=youtube;ArWY1v6q7JY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArWY1v6q7JY&list=UU3QjwZH-zhzKti4-X5zEFlw&index=5&feature=plcp[/video]

and 3rd

[video=youtube;a8XQ1ggmtoI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8XQ1ggmtoI&list=UU3QjwZH-zhzKti4-X5zEFlw&index=4&feature=plcp[/video]

Any tips, advices are welcom :)
    (I'm the asian one in yellow shirt)

14. amleto

amleto Regular Member

The dude in orange is one of these guys that never plays at the net, isn't he? You do pretty well moving around him but he definitely isn't helping you as a pair by playing the way he does.

sorry, don't have anything useful for you! :p

15. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Any tips, advices are welcom :)
    (I'm the asian one in yellow shirt).....

Maybe is time you take the sport up professionally :D

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Dont quite understand what staiger's getting at but here are my 2 cents :D

The two things that need rapid improvement are a) your serve and b) your choice of partner.
    The way you play is quite net-oriented, as you don't get very good angles from the back and don't have the cleanest smash either. You move rather quickly though, and seem to have good vision for where the gaps are. As every other net-oriented player, you'll have to buckle up and practice your serve. It's the best way to dominate a game, as you're in your favored position already, and a good serve can put your opponents under some serious pressure (provided you play with a better partner than this).
    Another thing that needs some polishing (though not as much) is your footwork around the front, when your opponents hit the shuttle, you should split step and explode towards the shuttle to take it as early as possible. You run towards it, which gives you a slightly more balanced position after you hit the shot, but if you want to play higher level doubles, it's much better to play the shot that split second earlier as it gives you more options (example would be 2:58, 4:16 in the 2nd vid - you get the point at 4:16 and show good awareness, but would've had the chance to kill if you had pushed off with both legs and committed to the shot).

Also, get a different partner. This one has no technical abilities or tactical awareness to speak of - a few times he takes a shot you're in much better position to take and plays a clear or makes an error. Also his overhead play, which should be strong as you're clearly net-oriented, is rather ineffective and has major technical flaws. A suitable doubles partner for you should have a decent smash and secure overhead play, tactical awareness and good mid-court play would be a nice bonus (to play those softer shots from the mid court to get into attacking formation).

In conclusion - you play very decent doubles and would benefit greatly from getting a partner that's more smash-oriented and also on your level of play ;) Only real weakness on your part I spotted from my somewhat hasty (over-)view was the serve which should be worked on.
    Hope to see more in the future :)

17. akatsuki2104

Thanks for your comments!

I don't quite understand what staiger said either xD.

J4ckie, I agree with about rushing to the net to be able to kill the shuttle. I should do some drills to get that extra power in the legs ^^.
    About my serve, what should I improve? I think they are quite close to the net and few people here can really attack it. Maybe they are a little bit slow?

I played with another guy last year which has much more power than my current partner but sometimes I got annoyed with his hot temper.
    You can see there :

[video=youtube;kpJIsBCsaxM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpJIsBCsaxM&list=UU3QjwZH-zhzKti4-X5zEFlw&index=17&feature=plcp[/video]

18. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I noticed that your serve was inconsistent (e.g. too many in the net). Maybe that is what jackie refers to as well?

5.40 - You are caught out to backhand biased. You should be defending biased to forehand if anything here - you should be concentrating on down-the-line defense, and your partner should be primarily concentrating on 'channel' defense.

#1578 amleto, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  19. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

watch how many times your racket drops below the tape after u serve and / or when u'r in attacking formation :)

3:14 in the 3rd game. you serve, and just stand there watching the bird. Had you been ready with the racket up and got into a good ready position, that would've been a point in which you took control by doing a net kill judging from the height of the return.

That's probably the biggest issue I see, is you'd lift ur racket up at the front when your PARTNER is hitting, and then drop it after that. At which point it doesn't come back up. A LOT of chances were missed simply because the racket wasn't up.

Having your racket up puts pressure on the other guy to not hit such loose net shot returns, because he knows if your racket is up, anything loose results in an instant kill.

#1579 Borbor, Nov 21, 2012
  20. akatsuki2104

Oh, yeah if it's about consistency, yes I need more pratice for sure ^^

@Borbor : Yes, I noticed it as well but I keep my racket head down :(. Sometimes I think about it and lift my racket up but ended as usual after some rallies :mad:

#1580 akatsuki2104, Nov 21, 2012