Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Nokh88 post #1897 is what I said but I am just blunt while the writer articulate eloquently, the writer must have ace his English exam while OTB has only a credit:D

That post said 'BAM under the leadership of Tengku Tan Sri Mahaleel Tengku Arif (holly molly, what a long name) are in a mess because the roles of the coaches and officials are not clearly defined'.

I believe Tengku does have a plan, he saw the rot in BAM and the status-quo cannot continue, brutal changes has to happen...fast. His plan involves TAM but Tengku (nor us) did not see the rebellion derailing his plan and ousted TAM. Neither he saw the power that crybaby WR1 has. Without TAM, Tengku has no plan, no clue, helplessly not knowing what to do, result in BAM still in 1 big mess as the writer wrote.

Whether TAM is right for the job, that we will never know as he was not given a chance. Tengku must be a nice chap to takeover this Titanic and getting blame now that MAS badminton is bleak once LCW retires, as if Tengku created this mess. Are everyone blind and stupid to blame this 1 chap for this mess which is decade in the making?

LCW winning his 10th MO should be big news but over-shadowed by his retirement hint. That may be a blessing, now the attention turns to MAS badminton future - hopelessly bleak. The writer #1897 post smoothly summarized it (somehow I think the writer has been reading my posts and stole them, hmmm...any chance of a commission? Just asking):p

BAM (I say it is Tengku) offering MF full authority to run BAM, this is the right move. MF, a foreigner, his reputation, past BAM experience and (I think) he spotted LCW, IMO is the right and authoritative person to right this ship. Note: Malaysians like to blast fellow Malaysians, that is our pasttime in the kopitiam, and we are very good in doing this, believe it or not:D

MF gets to do what TAM would have done, but under better circumstances and the timing is right. Clean house and remove the dead wood. I am reading different news, media said MF coming, Oldhand posted he is not..I hope MF does take the offer.

#1901 OneToughBirdie, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    why would PJB ever leave Japan? in Japan, he has a team who are disciplined, respectful and hardworking, and he is seeing the result from his hardwork and their hardwork. honestly, i think Japan has passed many nations already, including Malaysia. The rise in quality and consistency in almost all disciplines can clear be seen. MS, WS, MD, WD.

Malaysia has tried to hire many foreign coaches, MF, PJB, RM, LM (what happened to him?), all left within a couple of years. there is too much politics and too little job security, if the players don't like you? you get booted regardless of how good you are!? i think the bridges has been burned and the reputation of the management has been tarnished.

3. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I do agree with you, tengku and tam do have a plan but gone messed up after crybaby asked for help, tam has the balls to change it but not the right person to do so. "Who are TAM to change all these?" After all these people has been living under such condition for so long, like leeches and they don't want to be cut off from their life supply.

frost might be a better person to change it because he is a foreigner, foreigners bring a sense of mystery and respect which local don't, especially a blonde one. I believe malaysia has capable personality like yap Kim hock, to run the show and for reason unknown, was not given the chance.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    OTB,

Agree with your statement. Looks like the way forward for now pending Morten Frost.

It's a no lose situation for Frost. Even if he takes it and fails to produce a player, everybody can point to lower level development as the problem.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The bigger picture is Frost's present employment circumstances.

6. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    This time may be different and the right time for MF/PJB as theres a new
    result orientated Oxford graduated Sports Minister and of course Tengku
    the BAM President also is into Change Management as he tried with TAM,
    who had unfortunately good intentions but very poor man management skills.

7. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Late last year, I spoke with a celebrated foreign player who was a coach with the BAM.
    To say that he was bewildered and frustrated would be to severely understate it.

Before he signed on, he had been assured of 'a free hand' in all on-court matters.
    However, once he had moved in, things turned out to be very different.

Firstly, he was told that he couldn't use his own coaching plans but would have to stick to the BAM's coaching plans. At best, he could 'suggest changes' and it would be up to the BAM to agree or not. Well, what use is a different coach if new elements cannot be brought in and the old coaching plans cannot be modified?

And, of course, none of his suggestions were found 'suitable'.

Secondly, he was 'advised' to change his picks (which were based on skills, potential and fitness) and spread out the selection to include an equal mix of races!
    It was horrifyingly bewildering because he didn't even know who was what race... and in most cases, he was too foreign to even make out anyone's race.

Thirdly, he was told his new picks weren't eligible to spar with the established players!
    What was more distressing was that it was OK for senior players to invite their 'friends' to come over for regular games but it was not OK for them to play with youngsters prepping to represent Malaysia!

I'm no pessimist but, IMHO, Malaysian badminton is heading for a nasty professional demise.

8. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Yep. We've seen that coming a long time ago. At this moment I can tell what exactly going to happen for the next 10 years. Its gonna be exactly like Football Asociation of Malaysia ( FAM ). Cease to exist from the face of the earth.

9. SibugiChai

YAB
    Crybaby has to go... And for bam to change, someone strong must come in...

10. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

Oh, this isn't new to Malaysia..... in fact, such thing have been practiced since God knows when. :mad:

For example, my cousin was previously in training as a national bowler, and was among the highest scores amongst the trainees. When it came to selection time though, he was discarded aside - not because he wasn't good enough, but because there was ENOUGH QUOTA for the "C" (almost all the high scorers were "C"). They have to let the "M" included so that there would be an equal mix of races. And the "M" were in the "low scores" category - not even getting about 120+ (out of 300!).

So when you brought this up, I am not surprised. Such bull has totally destroyed sports in Malaysia. You are leaving out the top performers just because you want "equality"? Now BAM is reaping what it sow, and I am afraid if they do not change anytime soon, there WILL be no more BAM.

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    no worry,B(adminton)AM had transform into B(usiness)AM
    stay calm and eat kangkung:D

12. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
  13. honeong

honeong Regular Member

management of a bunch of old kangkung is no easy business.. hard to swallow....in Japan, everything starts from grass roots. every child has a particular syumi (hobby) that they commit their time and love to. well trained, very discipline, competitive, sometimes stressful (being watched by strict coaches and senpai). give them something they will excel, just the matter of time. creating such environment is important, be it in BAM or schools.

14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Meanwhile in Malaysia (BAM), one just got to

Attached Files:

15. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    even if bam can get morten frost its just finding the tip of the ice berg.

the rest goes down to the very bottom grass root level.

without them doing the 'proper' job, even 2 morten frost would get any result.

as I have mentioned several times before, the problem starts from that level ...

to cut the story short

when a chef get **** ingredient, what comes out?? :D

here's one scenario (again):

there was a clinic conducted by then, a newly recruited china coach (left hander and now still in bam/bjss).

during the show (through a translator), he wanted all state coaches

to emphasize on the 'proper' hitting techniques covering the very basic of badminton.

this was through his observations during the tournament earlier.

after nearly an hour, I heard this from the coaches.

"we have a renewable yearly contract for our players performances and if we do like what he wants, players won't get fit enough to win (12-18 years old) and there goes our contract."

isn't that a funny system? :D

I know this can't be fixed because in Malaysia, everybody knows somebody who can fix thing :D :p

#1915 pBmMalaysia, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  16. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Hi pBm, I have said many time when it comes to Malaysian management, 'mana ada sistem' 'where got system'?. That is why I said the top manager cannot be a Malaysian, including OTB cannot apply:D.
    The current status quo does not work, to continue this path is suicidal, I think we all agree on this. BAM has to do something fast, if MF comes, hopefully BAM finds 'the tip of the iceberg' and should be positive. If MF has full authority, again hopefully that is true, maybe the grass root system can be improved. I hope MF reads this post, and hire you to run the grass root.

17. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    if morten frost does come to Malaysia

all he needs to do is privatised the grass root.

be it a club or an association let them show their work or produce

and share whatever fund accordingly.

in the end those who sit on the state association chairs

getting no results will automatically be removed! :D

18. SibugiChai

YAB
    Sounds like a legit plan. It's working in Thailand and with other sports too like EPL.

When it's your own money, people tend to becareful with spending.

Yes, no more state funds. That's sound good

19. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    See, I say you are hired:D

20. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    YKH was given chance but he blew it. Actually twice :D