2014 Yonex New Racket (Voltric Z-Force II / VT-ZF2)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ZeroSOFInfinity, Jan 14, 2014.

1. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Paul, is that a 3U or 4U you are testing? From recent comments, perhaps you should be testing 4U hehe. I'd like to know what your thoughts are on 3U and 4U, since you have vast experience with coaching various people. Do you generally recommend children/teenagers (say age 8-14) use lighter rackets? Say 4U or 5U. And what about advanced adults? Does the weight of the racket matter a lot in your experience with regard to performance and injury risk? Do you think it's subjective and anecdotal (with an element of placebo effect) that certain people play better with a "4U" compared to a "3U"? Note that I'm not asking whether certain people play better with a 1kg racket compared to a 4U here - I'm talking about 5 grams difference, not 5kg difference.

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    You need a Thor to wield a jackhammer, but you need a more nimble type to frame the house. You fit the glove/tool -> to the man -> to the job.

3. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

There's no doubt that most people would play much better with a 100g racket compared to a 1000g racket. But I'm not talking about such differences. And sure, everyone should try to find "the right size fit", but playing badminton isn't just about "wearing a glove" - it's wielding a tool in the gloved hand with the right technique etc. I don't know, perhaps I'm seeing it wrong.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    ^ I grew up using steel and wooden racquets. I had no problem using them as a teenager and thereabouts. I was fit, fine, and strong. And my technique sucked.

Fast forward to 30-odd years later, 2 decades of cigarettes and other issues like an 8-hour desk-bound job, and I welcome 4U racquets like they are a blessing from heaven. Yes, I've tried (and still hang on lovingly to) 2U racquets but after one game at most, I quickly come down to earth. And my technique ain't too bad now. :D

There are no definites, but there can be general guidelines. And the exception proves the rule.
    My 2c. ;)

5. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Careful cobalt, in another 30-odd years, you'll be welcoming 10U rackets as a blessing from heaven hehe! I think at that stage, it might be time to consider playing table tennis instead!

6. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    I greup using steel rackets too with my first racket Carlton 4.3. It took me a while before i got a lighter racket in the Carlton 3.7 series.

I got my first Yonex racket in 1982, Carbonex 8 - oh now there was a racket!

The ZFII is a 3UG4.

Generally I let kids pick up a racket and use it. I remember many years ago when Talbot brought out a superlight racket. One of my students used it. In a tournament he broke a string. I took the racket and repaired it. He changed to a standard racket during this time and was progressing through the game very well. Once I returned the racket and he switched, he subsequently lost a run of points and lost the match. Lesson learned was that the lighter racket had, over time taken some of his power away and this is what concerns me with rackets like Flashboost. You get an initial boost because your muscles have been used to working hard and suddenly they continue the same work rate with amazing results. These results may wear off over time.

So for kids i tend to give them a standard weighted racket. in UK we are limited to what each manufacturer offers us. It's interesting this year that the likes of Yonex, Victor etc have introduced more 4U rackets into their range, partly to create better differentiation in the range.

With tolerances being relatively narrow, it's feasible to have between 1-9g difference between two differing weights in rackets. At the bottom end of the scale I doubt anyone will nottice the difference, however 9g is a lot.

I think you also need to be careful over weights. With head heavy rackets I've found 4U to be an advantage in terms of speed without losing too much in terms of power. Whereas some of the other frames can feel a bit thin and unresponsive compared to the 3U version. Depending on the experience of the player, I'm sure some would not notice the difference between the various weights, however players who really study rackets will have a better idea.

Whilst it would be great to have on offer 3U, 4U and different grip sizes, UK market is simply too small.

I hope this helps.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

7. swunk

swunk Regular Member

My 3U G4 ZF2 has wet BP of 300mm (strung with bg80, one RKEP G09 overgrip on the stock grip), which is pretty good news for me.

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    In another 30-odd years I will be in heaven! :p

9. visor

visor Regular Member

I sure hope there's badminton there... If there isn't, I ain't going. :p

10. picard500

picard500 Regular Member

Mechanic
    So, recapitulated> ZF2 got an more balanced BP as a ZF? My ZF (4U/G4 with BG80 and overgrip on the stock) got a BP of 310! My Arc11 with the same config, but 3U/G4 BP300! I know. that you can't compare this rackets really, but in my mind, that is the main difference between these two! So will ZF2 tend more in the Arc11 kind or will it be such powerful as ZF? The lacking of the netplay regarding my ZF in contrast to my Arc11 is all to obvious! So could it be the case, that ZF2 is a racket offering both qualities?? That would be heaven for me!!!
    Can someone compare the ability of netplay of Arc11 and ZF2??

11. nelson1990

nelson1990 Regular Member

student

May I know what string are you using? I found mine not so responsive as the shaft kinda woody.

12. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I found the original Z-Force kinda planky, too. Like the shaft didn't do anything except keep the head away from your hands :) It certainly didn't give you any feedback on the shot you just played, but I just chalked it all up to me not actually being any good ;)

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    From all I hear, its pretty boring and straitlaced. (Wait a minute- sounds like pro badminton tournaments!) You may want to consider the, uh, other option! ;) :p

14. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    Nelson1990

I strung ZFII at 26lbs using BG80 Power. The retailer allowed me to do this on the basis I have to restring at a lower tension before handing it back. I used BG80 Power because I have two reels of it and it's not a string most players will ask for.

Paul

15. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Lies! I have it on good authority there are not only badminton courts but also 42 virgins.

16. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

BG80P @ 26lbs on ZF2 is a good combination.
    I'm sure you will find it enjoyable.
    I would like to suggest you lay your hands on both 3u and 4u ranges.
    These 2 are both very good to play with.

17. f1rst

f1rst Regular Member

Can you do a brief comparison on the 3u and 4u particularly for fast paced doubles. Does the 3u suffer?

18. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    UK only has one weight in any racket. We never have the luxury of 2 weights and 2 grip sizes like many players have in Asia.

Paul

19. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    And yet you pay a 50% price premium! Sucks to be you guys. :p

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Oh no! Even a cynic like you fell for that one! :crying: