Yonex BG 66 Ultimax

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Badominton, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

The broad consent seems to be that BG 66 UM is the best string ever, despite it's durability problem.

I've ordered 10 m for testing it and can't wait to try it and see if I like it more than BG 80. :D

2. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

Its actually the drop in tension that I am moving away from 66UM. 80P retains tension much better.
    For fresh strung strings, nothing touches 66UM.

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Since I got my own stringing machine that's not much of a problem for me... If I like it more than BG 80, I will definitely switch to UM.

4. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    BG80P is a horrid string. It might be okay if you string it at over 24lbs, but at 25 and under it's dull, hard and slippery IMHO. If you're not breaking BG80 there's no reason to change to P.

Ultimax is a strange string in some ways because if you're a clean hitter, at 24-5lbs it's a reasonably durable string considering the performance, making it keenly suited to intermediate club level plays (like me) :)

Oh, quick comparison to regular BG66. I had my go-to strung with BG66 @ 23x25lbs recently and played for an entire session with it. Compared to BG66U it's not as 'bright' and lacks just that little bit extra repulsion that 66U has. Also, with 66U it seems to bed-in and settle after a couple of games, but 66 didn't and the strings were still moving all over the place even after 6 hard games.

For me, 66U is well worth the upgrade because it's a clear improvement over the regular 66. The extra crispness and repulsion is noticeable.

Oh, also a note on the new colours. The new green colour is not particularly green - only a couple of shades 'greener' than flash yellow - but still definitely a green and not a yellow. It would be an awesome addition to the FlashBoost, VZF1 or NR900 though.

5. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

I strung 80P at 24 and while its definitely harder compared to 66UM, I dont find it dull at all. The entire NBG series are dull but not 80P. And its indeed slightly more slippery compared to 66UM, but manageable. It holds tension pretty well even when it starts fraying. 66UM drops after 2 weeks. Given I only play twice a week, the tension drop becomes annoying as I would use my rackets on 4 sessions and tension drop becomes noticeable.

6. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I've just measured mine after a week off and the tension has gone UP. How is that even possible?

7. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

So if I'm using BG 66 UM three times a week (about 12 hours) means I would have to restring every week? :confused:

8. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

Mine snaps on avg after 30hrs of playing and NOT from mishit. Keep that in mind..
    It always fray before it snaps.

9. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    It depends on you. I don't care if there's a gradual drop in tension because you adapt to it without even thinking. If you insist on fresh strings all the time, then yeah, you'll be stringing every other week. I only play two sessions a week so my 66U lasts a good 6 weeks.

10. okooko

okooko Regular Member

Student
    My 66U on the ZF2 was strung at 26lb and eventually went down to about 22-23 (or felt even less tbh) and snapped due to fraying. Had it for about 3 months though, now restrung with NBG98 in blue

11. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Tried BG 66 UM yesterday on at 29.7 lbs (13.5 kg) and really loved it! It really feels like an elite string, I already ordered a 200 m roll. Very nice feeling and awesome crispness in shots.

I also noticed that given UM itself feels softer than BG 80, it feels harder comparing both strung at the same tension.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

No way it feels harder than bg80 at same tension.

13. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Maybe not while playing, but the sound hitting the racket on the hand is higher...

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Of course, it pings higher frequency at same tension, because it's thinner.

15. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

correct, high pitch but definitely softer in feel relatively. Have both on same rackets with exact specs. The 80P definitely harder feel, quite a bit harder. Some says 80P softer feel than 80 but I find them very similar. Both 80 and 80P hard feel, 66UM medium feel.

16. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Question:
    1. Is it true that BG66UM, if strung beyond 26Lbs... will snap easily? My stringer insisted if i ever wanna string beyond 26, say 28-30Lbs, i must use BG66 and not BG66UM.

2. I bought 1 dozen of BG66UM white color, let's say my string snapped once in every 12 sessions or 1.5 months then used my backup racket until the string snapped too before re-strung. At the current breakage rate, i estimated will use up all 12 strings within 2 years time. Would it expired, hence affect its durability?!

Thank you.

17. madcarrot2007

madcarrot2007 Regular Member

Im shocked my BG66U string snapped after only 3 sessions.. Was strung @ 24lb. Love the string but not so much on it durability.

18. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Hard hitter??? :000

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Stop hitting plastic birds and your thin strings will last longer... ;)

20. madcarrot2007

madcarrot2007 Regular Member

Not really a hard hitter..I wonder if I should give this string another shot...