Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Oh my. I probably wouldn't play one normal rally in a match anymore.... :D dives should be rewarded as well. Being considerably slower than I used to be I find myself on the floor quite often these days :D

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I play for taxi-generators!

3. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    @-msitpro

Think you are a very good player, shame about your camera angle as you can't see where your shots are going, saw your other singles match against Luke Pearce, you are a very bouncy player and good on the defensive. I would add a bit more variation with half smashes and use a faster swing for your drop as it will give it more disguise as I can tell when you are going to smash and when you will drop from your video. I think you can do the basics well but you need more variation and deception. You look like a better doubles player than singles. Guessing you've around a 60-100 ranking in England for doubles and singles? Maybe work on your tumble too, sometimes in the singles match you lifted from a net shot when a tumble could have put you in a very attacking position and limited Luke's smashing ability.

#2083 charliebadders, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Singles match from the same session. Great movement around the court, secure shotmaking and a lightning fast smash are what make my singles play so special.

[video=youtube;--3YtDYvKsE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--3YtDYvKsE[/video]
    For those irony-impaired users among us: the above statement is a joke.

5. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    #2085 msitpro, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

/off topic
    why Lithuania?

7. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Future Series = easy entry with no prior ranking / notional points ;)

Next time will look at International Series as well as there are so little FS around, think the Irish is cancelled.

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Another tournament already! :D Second match of the day, in a tournament with 2 groups of 5 with the best 2 advancing. We managed to get 2nd place in our group and advanced to the match for 3rd place, which we gave up after one game as I was spent and my legs started to hurt pretty much all over.

Any comments are appreciated!

[video=youtube;1PMEufULCPU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PMEufULCPU[/video]
    PS: It was brutally hot/humid in the hall, for Germany anyway, thus the sleeveless shirt.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Msitpro

Only watched the singles. All a bit tough with the travelling and unfamiliar environment.

You look tense and restricted. Can't get your game flowing.

You get coaching, right? Perhaps you can work with your coach on how to be difficult to beat when you are not playing well. How to play yourself into the game?

Your opponent has better movement than you do. Not sure you could have won even if playing well.

Just a couple of points to consider:

Return of opponents low service: very passive and not testing the opponent in the slightest. You mostly strike the shuttle at the same height from the ground. Didn't see you spring into the shuttle nor take it early. Your net game suffers accordingly. He becomes confident that he can predict your service return which is usually upwards and if you do try to play net, he has a lot of time to get to the net. With a spring in, you can put more options and variation into your game.

Forehand defence is a real weak point. You are losing your centre of gravity. Future opponents are going to hammer you on this area. Needs a lot of work.

From a comparison of a previous video you put up, your overall game looks better.

#2089 Cheung, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  10. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    You're right, I was very 'tense' in the way I played especially at the front court. My mindset was that I was just going to try and play very tight around the net and try and force a lift from him.

I have actually realised this myself and begun to try and improve my net play/return of serve by playing more 'casually' with deception and also like you say, mixing it up sometimes by taking it very early. With the time we have with a coach (1 hr per week!) it's a little bit too detailed for those, but I do notice things myself and ask him to try and correct it or point out where I'm going wrong.

You should have seen my net play a year ago ;) :eek:

The forehand defence I would say is actually pretty good when it's out to the side recently... but I do realise I really struggle when it's near my body... maybe I can ask why this might be.

Been playing singles 2-3 times a week, 2 hours at a time over the last few weeks during our 'off season' :) Domestic tournaments start again in mid-Aug.

11. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Completely agree with this.

Seem to go for the unreturnable shot every time, drives, smashes etc. from watching your latest video j4ckie. (trying to emulate Ahsan/Setiawan?!)

Should probably play more drops, pushes and soft shots, shots that will put you in a better position to play the winning shot.

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

So, what you're saying is that -basically- I should play more patiently? I totally agree with you on that - the last match shows quite clearly what can happen when I get impatient :S

13. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

im amused by your shot at 3.30

your opponent genuinely stops playing and takes the point in the middle of the rallye :D

definitely very tough to see but how can he just stop and grab the ball/point lol

14. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Obviously this is your first international tournament so it's alright to be nervous/apprehensive etc and that shows a bit in your game with the amount of unforced errors. I've watched some of the video and I've just got a few points that I'd like to make.

Firstly. The amount of unforced errors you make. You start off with a flick serve that's out which you could put down to nerves. At 0:48, you back off the net anticipating the lift, but your opponent noticed this and opened his racket face. Your momentum is going backwards so you don't have a chance of picking up the return.

Next rally, you're indecisive as to whether to play the shuttle (I think) and you've let it fall too low.

The next couple of rallies are all based around making unforced errors as far as I can tell. You need to apply more pressure to you opponent cause when you do this, it's him that makes the error.

At 2:08, the exact same thing happens as at 0:48 except you get lucky and your opponent makes the error.

The following rally, you slip trying to retrieve a net shot, I think possibly you were a bit slow returning to base, which might have had something to do with it. Still pretty impressive net shot all things considered.

At 3:45, there is a good rally. You defend well, and then force your opponent on the defence with a good net shot.

But then the following rally, you see into the net.

So, I think potentially you could have got closer to (maybe not beating) but challenging your opponent more. But there are a number of unforced errors which need to be addressed before your next tournament. Losing the point and actually being under pressure is alright, but I think you lost 8 points in the first 11 out of just unforced errors.

Return of service as well like already mentioned is perhaps too passive. Occasionally maybe you should have stepped in and taken a risk and put him under a bit more pressure.

The one thing that sets BWF tournaments apart from BE Bronze Events, is that the players in BWF tournaments are incredibly consistent. They can play a 15-20 shot rally and still find the ability to hit a winner right onto the line. Something you won't really get a Bronze level.

Still keep at it, if you can wipe the consistency errors and be more aggressive then you'll find yourself performing much better as you'll be challenging your opponent.

Good luck in your next event international tournament :)

On a side note, venue doesn't look that great, is that natural light coming through the roof? And the flooring also looks dodgy (underneath) all the events I've attended have had suitable flooring/lighting.

15. amleto

amleto Regular Member

which video are you referring to :confused:

16. OhSearsTower

the most recent posted one by jackyx

17. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

msitpro: Do you plan to play more international tornaments? What's your goal? How old are you?

18. amleto

amleto Regular Member

oh, then I'm confused by your reaction. what else is he meant to do?

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well at the time I wasn't quite sure, but watching it again and again I'm certain the shuttle went over. I'll remind him of that next time I see him :D Very rare for me to play those shots in the net, so maybe I should have insisted on at least repeating the rally.....ah well. Worked out in the end, so I'm not gonna complain too much about it :D

20. OhSearsTower

???
    j4ckies opponent stopped an ongoing rallye and took the point when there was no reason for it

this and his way of doing it (very confidently while being wrong) is funny to me

i dont know why you are confused

its also funny that it was caught on video so we can actually see that he was wrong

#2100 OhSearsTower, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014