Is Gosen R4X 110 worth the shot?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Warlock86, Feb 7, 2014.

1. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Mark

Yes, it's a first! I was so surprised by this as I was expecting great things from this string. That's why I had another player test the racket and they commented about the vibration before I mentioned it.

Perhaps this is just a simple issue that the MX90 and this string are not compatible. I'm now testing another Gosen string to see if that plays any better.

I'm really disappointed as I was looking forward to this string being the answer. Oh well, back to testing.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

2. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    If I may quote you from another thread, does this mean you get the larger sweetspot of lower tension, but without it feeling soft? Or doesn't it work like that?

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Interesting question, but I think only the racket is responsible for the size/shape of the sweetspot; I can't see string tension enlarging it as such.

4. wguan126

wguan126 Regular Member

Disagree. I think it does to some degree. Lower tension leads to a larger sweet spot.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Well, anybody out there with a Babolat RDC can test it for us:).

6. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Edited for truth. You must have a very consistent and good aim/timing Mark!

I've no idea how the rate at which the size changes varies with tension though. Eg 23vs24lb compared to 29vs30. If you're interested I'll start a new thread and try to explain it with science and words. Or my interpretation of it anyway! It makes sense in my head.

7. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

So I got a few sets from mybadmintonstore and I strung it up to my usual doubles tension of 24.5x26.5 in my MX80. After my first session of play it seems to feel way tighter then BG80 at the same tension. I string my singles rackets to 26.5x28.5 with BG80 usually and this practically feels the same as R4X 110 at 24.5x26.5. Anyone else got this experience? For the playing with the string itself, the texture is really rough a la BG80, so slices are obviously good, as well as net play (tumblers). I couldn't quite find my power yet, however it improved as my session went on. Also something that caught my eye was that the string was moving around more in my racket than BG80. The stiffness of this string seems to be on par with if not exceeding BG80. Will report again after another (few) session(s).

8. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Are reviews of the Zymax and other series welcome here? I'd like to see the progression as I try more and more strings.
    Zymax is a lot more powerful than I remember. It has been one day since stringing so maybe tension loss hasn't happened yet, but I never expected such a stark difference between Zymax 67 and BG65ti. I found Zymax to be very grippy, too. Drives were so powerful! perhaps I have not unlocked its capabilities, only stringing at 22x24, but how did I leave this string?

9. visor

visor Regular Member

^ If you're playing feather, wait till you try ZM62 at 23x24 lbs or ZM65 at 25x27 lbs.

10. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Of course I play feather :p
    I suppose there is an "activation tension" for the Zymax line? I recall MarkA identifying 30+lb for Zymax 70 for the best results! I read reviews about the Zymax 62 having devastating slices- I may have found the perfect racket to match it but this isn't the right forum to post it in.

On another note- how quickly does mybadmintonstore restock ashaway?

On another note- can the vibration from R4X110 that paul mentioned be harmful to the arm while playing?

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Of course it can. Especially if you already have some tendinitis and trying to do power smashes with a panhandle grip.

12. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    Yes the vibration can effect tendinitis. I could feel pain in my elbow and I don't have any injuries.

At this point I think we should all exercise common sense with regard to string tension. Mark is unusual as he likes and can play with high tensions. The majority of players are unable to play at such high tensions which could result in injury. Mark has got to this level over many years of trial, increasing tension by 1lb when the time was right. He also trains frequently in the gym and has a very good technique. All of these contribute as safety factors.

I have tested 29/30 lbs in my racket and it doesn't suit me. I have subsequently reduced by tension to 25/27 which is comfortable to me.

Paul

13. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Sorry, I think I'm confused.
    Is the vibration that you felt a property of the string or the tension, or both?

Personally, I don't train at the gym often for the arms, so I must be careful to avoid injury. I have been coached for good technique, though.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Agree with Paul.

Put a high tension in the racquet without getting used to it and you are likely to get tendinitis. Have a hard feeling string in it and you might feel it worse. Third is the property of the racquet itself and its damping characteristics.

One time I was playing around 4 times a week and I had 30lbs on BG65 (very stretchy string).

Now, I am on about 28lbs with 0.68mm strings - usually fine for me. But as Paul says, YMMV

15. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    My regular tension is 25/27lbs so it must be the string. I use other Victor strings without any issues and certainly no vibration.

Paul

16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I don't think I've ever used a string that gave me too much feel:).

17. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Other than the Ashaway Zymax 67 string I've been telling you all about, I have actually been testing a .66mm string with lots of control and feel, but it's really not rough. The string properties are pretty different from any other string I've tried. Would you like to hear about it?

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I've noticed that R4X110 is sensitive to gripper marks. I've started to go around my diabolo twice, and the effect seems to have gone away; self-friction takes a lot of the load away from the gripper plates.

Good to 30/31 PS, we now know;).

19. wguan126

wguan126 Regular Member

Is it worse than 66U?

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Open another thread on it ;)