Differences between MS and WS...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by JustinG, Dec 24, 2011.

1. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I've been watching alot of MS and WS and I've noticed a huge difference in shot selection and as it appears to me, the overall strategy employed. Could someone shed some light on this topic, or is just me!? Is it possible that I am simply mistaken?

MS and WS seems to be a completely different game, when comparing the two. IMO

Let me know what you guys think about this.

Cheers

2. jajvirta

jajvirta Regular Member

Programmer
    I too think they're a different game, but to me it seems to be just a difference in explosive strength and quickness of the movement. The difference, to be honest, is worlds apart when comparing the best male and female players in the world.

3. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Even though the girls are superfit too the guys will always be faster and stronger, so there will be different strategies.

I think WS is more about out-manouvering the opponent and MS about patience, creating an opening for a killing smash

I think there is more use of clear in WS and more use of smash in MS

4. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Yes, it appears that WS tend to clear more, and I've also noticed there are alot more cross court drop shots. Also, I've noticed that the men seem to have better defense returning smashes.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    MS matches are more attacking/explosive because men are stronger and can move faster.

However, there is a trend for younger WS players to follow the attacking/explosive matches that men play.

Have a look at this video, and tell me what you BCers think;

The 65th All Japan Badminton Championships (2011) Semi-Finals: Nozomi Okuhara-vs-Minatsu Mitani:

[video=youtube;tkbLpIIoT38]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkbLpIIoT38&feature=plcp&context=C2fb08UDO EgsToPDskIspoDkeyUfwv28ylRu61jZ[/video]

6. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Great video! Looks like the girl in the near court is doing smashing drills. :p Not quite the explosive power in her smash to put someone away in one shot; however, I really like her set-up for the smash. How old are these Women?

7. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I think it's due to the camera angle which makes the shots seem more powerful. I think that's normal speed in WS nowadays. The camera angle of most TV courts gives a flat view like in Tennis which leads to an impression of a slow and boring game.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Nozomi Okuhara is only 16. Here is her thread;
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/103088-Nozomi-Okuhara-(-奥原希望-)

Minatsu Mitani is 20. And here is her thread;
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/87557-Minatsu-Mitani-(-三谷美菜津-)

The match was played at the The 65th All Japan Badminton Championships on 10-December-2011.