Malaysia Legend Punch Gunalan Passed Away

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by danielwong, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Heroes never dies, they turn into legends

RIP Datuk Punch Gunalan.

2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Ever the gentleman. Was an honour and privilege to be in your company. Rest well, my friend.

3. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

don't know much about this guy, are you sure its 1992?
    He must be in his 40s then.

4. flite

flite Regular Member

That's always been the case for the ignorant ones. His infos are all in the provided link. Anyway with some common sense one could figure out what role a man in his 40s would play then.

5. racquetor

racquetor Regular Member

racquetor
    Datuk Punch was diagnosed with liver cancer stage 4 in April. His passing surprised many as not many know he was battling with cancer. Many officials and former players paid their last respect today including DLCW. RIP Datuk Punch.... U will be deeply missed.

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    RIP a legend and a good human being. The memories will endure, as will his legacy.

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Hartono remembers Malaysian great as an uncompromising competitor

By RAJES PAUL
    http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/8/16/sports/11865778&sec=sports

Some excerpts:

“I’m truly very sad that he has passed away so soon. I have lost a friend,” said Rudy when contacted in Jakarta.

...“As a friend, he was true and dependable. He was also a great motivator. What drove him was his passion for the game..

“He was an excellent administrator. I don’t know where he got all his ideas but he always came up with something new. I often came away mesmerised by his brilliance after each discussion.

“He was the brains behind the change of format in badminton that has made it such a success and one of the most watched sports on television. Of course, there were a few who resisted his ideas but he got his way because his arguments were always sound.”

Hartono hailed Punch as a perfect role model for sports administrators.

“He was a success because he knew his sport. Hopefully, his talent has been tapped by others,” said Hartono.

8. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    He was pivotal in 1992 win for thomas cup. No he was not a player... but many who remember that victory recalls that. I dont know about his feats as player cause i wasnt born yet.. but vividly remembers as a great coach and administrator.

9. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    Blurry D is right. Punch Gunalan played the role of chief coach and team manager in helping Malaysia regain the Thomas Cup after a lapse of 25 years. Moreover, he was also instrumental in bringing in 3 Chinese foreign coaches to help strengthened the Malaysian team.

10. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    Yea Yang Yang, han jian and someone else i cannot remember.. he was also the one together with morten forst that picked LCW as one of the inductees for BJSS.

11. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

RIP Datuk Punch Gunalan... :(

12. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    The other Chinese coach is Chen Changjie.

"Razif pointed out that it was Gunalan's strategy and vision to recruit China's coaches -- Han Jian, Yang Yang and Chen Changjie -- that culminated in Malaysia's Thomas Cup success."
    Source: http://www.nst.com.my/nation/general/brilliant-strategist-administrator-1.125631

13. John JY Wong

John JY Wong Regular Member

Businessman
    My best memory of him is seeing him celebrate the 3-2 win vs China in the 1992 Thomas Cup semi-final.

RIP Punch Gunalan.

14. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    Yep, at that moment, he leaped in the air with amazing joy and immediately rushed into the court along with others to hug and celebrate Cheah Soon Kit & Soo Beng Kiang win over Ricky Subagja & Rexy Mainaky (15–12, 10–15, 15–8)

15. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    The Late Datuk Punch was a player, administrator...his contribution to the sport for Malaysia and the world cannot be overstated. Rest in Peace

16. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    What to do before you 'leave'

Women, what is the first thing you grab if your house is on fire? Children? Lipstick?

Men, what is the thing you wish to do before you 'clock out'?

Well, for Punch Gunalan, it was to watch his last glimpse of LCW vs LD Olympics final.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/8/16/nation/11867667&sec=nation

I'm just only finding out now that his name 'Punch' sticked to his name after he beat Tan Aik Huang, supposedly a giant killer in his heydays. Unfortunately I never had the golden opportunities to really view their playing styles like Eddy Choong, Teh Kiew San, Ng Boon Bee and the likes. Videos then were so dark and black and white. Not suitable for keen learners. I saw Boon Bee while having bak kut teh last week. :D

#36 Pakito, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  17. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

'thats my father, badminton always brought him joy' ...Dr Roshan (Punch Gunalan's son).. thats it right there.. thats how i want to go when my time comes also...