China Masters should be scrapped and get replaced another country to host a SS

Discussion in '2012 Tournaments' started by Miqilin7, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hey Krisna, INA Open sounds attractive to overseas BC members especially if some incentives are laid out before them ... Haha

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

The problem with other countries is that the sponsors are most likely not passionate enough about badminton and make it an event to remember. Most of them just provide sponsorship just for the sake of having a badminton event in a particular country, but they don't really spend the time or effort to bring badminton to the public, which I believe is one factor that will spark badminton's popularity.

Forgive me for saying this, but the HKG SS has been a pretty dull event with minimum publicity and virtually zero participation from the entertainment sector here, despite the fact that many artists do play badminton leisurely. Even the free-TV (TVB) only broadcasts the MS & WS Final typically.

So, the key is PASSION! In my opinion, no sponsor is as passionate as Djarum in trying to make a badminton event as lively as possible. Maybank/Proton and Aviva come close and I applaud their effort in that!

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

OSIM, as the title sponsor of BWF SS, should also do more, instead of providing mere sponsorship!

Andy Lau and Joey Yung (two of the most famous singers) are the spokesperson for OSIM. Imagine if they are to be present during the HKG SS, just a couple of hours each for 1 day. It will do the event a lot of goodwill and bring more young people to watch the celebrities and know about badminton!

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Andy Lau will charge OSIM a fee of HK$50,000 just for showing up! haha!

5. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    What? They have Andy Lau and Joey Yung yet they did nothing?!?!?!? :eek: I'm baffled. If I were OSIM, I will arrange a XD match: Lin Dan+Joey Yung vs. Andy Lau+Wang Shixian as a promotinal event! :D

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

And why not....HK$50k to OSIM is a piece of cake (at most four to five of those high-end massage chairs). But imagine the goodwill that it will bring. OSIM and Andy Lau will now be associated with badminton and vice-versa. That could only be a positive thing for all the parties involved.

Right now, I don't think the ordinary HKG knows that OSIM is the title sponsor of BWF SS.

7. badMania

badMania Regular Member

That's the thing! What a disappointment! Honestly, I don't even know why OSIM wants to be the title sponsor when in fact, the only thing that I know is that the prize winner gets an OSIM chair each. Apart from that, there's no indication that OSIM is related to badminton whatsoever.

8. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Yes...it is related to badminton....after playing for fewbgames....I need a massage ...that's what OSIM can do...hehehe...

9. badMania

badMania Regular Member

In that case, they should promote this message (not massage!) more! In that way, people will be able to relate OSIM to badminton!

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

What kind of reasoning is that??

Does smoking make you a better player?? :D; You should be glad companies that have nothing to do with badminton want to sponsor it (there aren't many that are related) ...
    What does KIA have to do with tennis or Amstel Beer with football?

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly in the previous post.

Both KIA and Heineken are successful in associating themselves with Tennis, Football and Rugby; despite the facts that their products are not-sports related. That has to do with lots of advertising campaigns and efforts from the respective companies.

This is an example of a Kia ad that heavily features tennis:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EqW9EH5sPY

Correct me if I am wrong but I have yet to see any OSIM ad that features badminton. So, I cannot relate OSIM to badminton except for its title sponsorship for the BWF SS.

An example of a company that has successfully become associated with badminton is Fedex (the major sponsor of the Chinese team). Until now, whenever I think of Fedex, I will always think of its sponsorship of the CBA. And others who may not like badminton may also be intrigued as to why the ad features badminton players! Take a look at this ad:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxxmdRIgY8

That's how I hope other sponsors can do to try promote badminton in their products!

12. event

event Regular Member

Speaking of sponsors, the Korean sponsor loves this event. It usually comes at an otherwise slow time in the schedule (i.e. not alongside the Hong Kong Open) and they get the entire Korean national team to come to Suzhou Victor Sports Centre to train and do some publicity stuff.

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    how about this: Tax the rich; redistribute to the poor.

the PSS and SS countries should pay 15% of the their revenues to the BWF and BWF can use the money to help other countries.

#93 pcll99, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    After hearing this, I am shocked! I didn't know this:( Faint :(

Who to contact in OSIM to talk to them about arranging?

I was sitting with a couple of well known personalities at last HK Open. One of them had brought his son to watch. They shared their snacks with me. haha.

But yes, OSIM and BWF are not helping themselves in promotion. Totally agree with Krisna and badMania with these points of arguments.

#94 Cheung, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You are assuming revenue is higher than the costs - which is not necessarily so...:(

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

LOL, just been hearing about some of the things. Sounds good!

17. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I am just guessing, but i imagine that Hosts have to pay BWF to host these events? This may already be more than 15%. Again I am not sure, but i also think most events would be loss making,with the balance being made up by the home body. If they werent loss making they probably would be if they had an extra 15% to pay out.

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    :eek: shocking!!

if an organizer can't make ends meet, it shouldn't host a PSS/SS event.

19. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    "Tax the rich, redeistribute to the poor?!?" :( Penalize the smartest/most dilligent students in a class [with the best score, say 90 out of 100 points] by distributing their grade to the dumb/lazy students [with low scores 30 out of 100 points] so that everyone get 60 points?!? "Communism at its worst!!!" :p

Cheung is right, most PSS and SS are cash-flow break-even activities for the organizers... but the organizers understand that a PSS/SS is very good for badminton in their country and world badminton as a whole.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That would definitely cut down the number of events to near zero. Unlike some other sports, much less revenue is generated from the selling of TV rights.