2016 Rio Summer Olympics - Singles Maximum Lowered from 3 to 2.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by CantSmashThis, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    agree. Tanongsak, Sony, Sindhu, Nichaon, Mitani and others whom failed to reach top 8 will be out. they must thanks to bwf for not targetting ROW players

#41 Fortune, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Perhaps the new rule reduces the possibility of teams to deliberately give up matches that assist team mates?

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I think BWF have got it wrong this time.

They have denied an athlete who has very good chance of at least winning a bronze or silver medal a place at the Olympics.

If we had this rule in London 2012, LXR could have been denied a place at the Olympics.

Isn't that ludicrous?

4. mindreader

mindreader Regular Member

Getting thrashed by Lin Dan or watching one's countryman get thrashed by Lin Dan doesn't seem like it would achieve that effect. Let's hope I'm wrong.

5. phalanx

phalanx Regular Member

Olympia becomes with each event more weird.

The idea of Olympia was anti-nationalism and anti-discrimination.

It is absolutely absurd if someone is top 4 or top 10 and cant compete in oympia just because of his/her nationality. This is actually the definition of discrimination.

6. vixter

vixter Regular Member

It's not discrimination. If a world no. 3 is not eligible, it's because no.1 and no.2 is from the same country. Tough luck! If you want to participate as badminton player in Olympics, you better make sure you are top 2 in your country. If the competition in your own country is simply too strong, there is always the choice of representing another nation. Just look at Yao Jie, Pi Hongyan and Xu Huaiwen.

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    BWF has a choice. It can raise the limit from three to four per nation so that the best four in the world can compete.

It is not China's fault that they are the best. It's the fault of other nations in not catching up.

If the limit is raised to four or five, players from other nations can leave their home countries and represent China!!

Isn't that much better?:D

#47 pcll99, Feb 23, 2014
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Really? So that means you disagree with continental representation. I saw a South African pair play on TV. So they lost their match. It still gets publicised in their country. Canadians got a crack at getting a badminton medal. That's the chance you get. You can still get the best two in a country if they are good enough.

FYI, You are actually wrong :). Lin Dan has also lost in the first round of a previous Olympics (iirc he was no.1 in the world then losing to a Singapore player). So the best players in the world may not necessarily get to the finals. Kim Dong Moon and Ra Kyu Min were the most dominant mixed doubles pair for two years running up to an Olympics and they lost I think in 2nd round quite unexpectedly to a Danish pair.

#48 Cheung, Feb 23, 2014
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

that's right BWF have a choice and they chose to limit it to two singles players from any NOC (not only China). Therefore it cannot be discrimination if the same rule applies to the other NOC. Even Japan can't send more than two women's doubles pairs.

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon

So why would denying LXR a place in 2012 London Olympics for example be good for our sport?

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That decision actually rests with CBA, not BWF. Every national association pick their best medal prospects at the time. It doesn't mean those players will definitely win. Easy to say after the event has happened. LD was hot favourite in 2004. Whether the national association gets it right in choosing the players is another debate.

LXR may still have been chosen by CBA. How do you she wouldn't have been...? Only CBA can decide.

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I think WX had a better chance of being chosen than LXR because (i) WX had better head to head record against foreign players, (ii) WX had more experience, (iii) WX was ranked higher, and (iv) WX, ZN and LYB are all from the same province.

But that's not the point. The point is "why would denying the third best player in the world a place at the Olympics be good for our sport"?

The denial is done by BWF, not by CBA.

13. phalanx

phalanx Regular Member

Of course this is discrimination. This is really the definition. Olympia should be independently of the nationality as the reanimator Pierre de Coubertin wanted it.

What kind of event is that where you are world number 3 or 4 and cant compete because of your nationality? In particular because of this many people changed their nationality just to compete in Olympia. This makes no sense.

It would still make more sense to give seeds to nations which a big population.

Olympia is an INDIVIDUAL tournament as in the ancient and should be independently of the nationality.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

So you are 100% sure? :D

You have a reference for that? But I did find a few interesting quotes attributed to Pierre de Coubertin from this site.

"All sports must be treated on the basis of equality." - something I agree.

"May joy and good fellowship reign, and in this manner, may the Olympic Torch pursue its way through ages, increasing friendly understanding among nations, for the good of a humanity always more enthusiastic, more courageous and more pure." - Pierre advocates nations.

"The Olympic Games are for the world and all nations must be admitted to them." - Nations again, not individuals.

Olympic judo. As I wrote before, only 1 for each NOC in each event.

And sure. Changing nationalities is not confined to badminton alone - it happens for other sports.

15. mindreader

First of all, other countries/continents ARE represented at the Olympics. Secondly, it's not the IOC that is limiting the entries. It's the BWF that's limiting the entries while as I mentioned, violating the Olympic motto, so let's not pretend that the IOC is circumventing its own rules. In additional, why should I have to justify the contradicting values of the Olympics (Citius, Altius, Fortius) vs. participation?

Third, Canada had a crack at women's doubles in London. Did badminton take off after that? I must have missed all those Canadians showing up badminton gyms.

Lastly but most importantly, to claim continental participation would go up because what is in effect, an attempt to limit Chinese entries, is an outright lie. Those slots vacated by non-attending Chinese players is gonna go to a South African/Canada/Brazilian/whatever you claimed. It will go to a lower ranked Malaysian, Indonesian, South Korean and Dane, as in, countries already relatively strong on badminton.

You are referring to the 2004 Olympics. With all due respect to Lin Dan, in 2004 he was an inconsistent 20 year old player just out of juniors who quite frankly wasn't very good. Make no mistakes, the potential was there, but he wasn't named "First Round Dan" for nothing. As a matter of fact, he would remain inconsistent for another year or two until he learnt and, in my opinion, is the better player for it.

Neither is Ronald Susilo nobody. He qualified for the Olympics on his own merit. As a matter of fact, he was the flag bearer for Singapore.

#55 mindreader, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  16. mindreader

Once again, all nations/continents ARE eligible for the Olympics. They all participate in the qualifiers and there is ZERO rule that preclude them from doing so.

17. phalanx

phalanx Regular Member

Sure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination#Nationality
    The rules of Olympia are allowing the following case: In your sport you are in the top 3 but are not allowed to compete ONLY because of your nationality. And discrimination by nationality is often related to discrimination by race.

Ok, but let me give you the following from the same site:

"Racial distinctions should not play a role in sport." What whould be the case above.

You are agreeing on
    I think you intepreted this not correctly. All nations should included to it an so all individuals also the ones from countries with "strange" leaders or from poor countries.

Ok, so make qualifications but do not set limit by nationality.

Yeah, you want a friendly understanding among nations. And this does not mean, that you need a medal ranking (this in particular never official, it is just made by media) or national athems.
    In particular in team sport also international teams should be allowed. This would also increase the friendly understanding among nations like the international football teams.

Yeah which is really poor.

How nice would it be if we would see international double or mixed teams at tournaments? At the moment this is of course not possible due to lack of professionlism, maybe only in this Indian league, but not at superseries cup and so on.

18. vixter

vixter Regular Member

The word discrimination is not applicable here at all, in my opinion. All nations are playing under the same rules. If a certain country was not allowed participation at all, or allowed less spots than other countries, now that would be discrimination.

International double or mixed teams is allowed and existing, although not common I think for more practical reasons (training-opportunities). Nedelcheva[BUL] plays WD with Bankier[SCO]. Anastasia Russkikh[RUS] played WD with Nedelcheva and XD with Setiawan[INA].

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I don't think this is necessarily discrimination. But it sure is tyranny of the majority. BWF is trying to contain China.

Countless talents in WS and WD within China have been and continue to be wasted. Sad.

20. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

If LD does qualify but behind CL, DPY and WZM, is CBA going to pave way for LD by taking out DPY and WZM? :eek: