where do you look when you serve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Jan 31, 2005.

?

where do you look when you serve?

1. i look down at the birdie

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. i stare at my opponent

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. i look at where i am planning to hit

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  4. i look at empty space.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. i look all over the place

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  6. other.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

i look on the place im aiming to, and then on the shuttle ,after that on the opponent (to know how to serve) .
    And THEN i serve.

2. Furtil

Furtil Regular Member

student
    i glance at my feet and the shuttlecock, then look at the opponent, then stare at the net. but when a pretty girl is receiving then...heh...my eyes would take control of themselves O.O . i think looking at your opponent, disputably, can distort your perception of the shot because of all the psychology behind it, and again, disputably.

3. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    haha, well, even so.. I try to focus on how I do every serve... I think it is better to give them a good game instead of really going too easy just because they're pretty, or beginners, or whatnot.

^ hehe, here's me being cocky

As for where I look when I serve... i think i can update my statements:

1) check shuttle's feathers
    2) approach position on court where I like to serve
    3) check for opponent's readiness
    4) looking down but having both the shuttle and opponent in sight, I focus at the top of the net tape right before I serve, keeping note of what serve to make depending on the receiver's position and readiness.

*sidenote: I also sometimes check if my partner's ready during doubles and may also base what serve to make depending upon the readiness of my partner.

#283 chrisnchips, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  4. disney

disney Regular Member

psychologically+physically

Im a psychology student..sumhw i apply sum psychology in my play..psychologically, v will usually predict there the shulter might usually go..den automaticly our body and foot work will get more preparation to the direction that we predict especially to backcourt..
    So..usually i will observe while getting ready to serve..1st i will see where is the further distance from where my opponent is standing in the incourt space..2nd is the opponent's standing position..refering to gravity focus of the opponent..3rd is where is the opponent luking while im preparing to serve..
    this habit might oso change due to different situation..

5. Canonmillbilly

Canonmillbilly Regular Member

There's a chap I play against who, when he is serving, spends quite a long time on every serve looking (with his beady, devious eyes) at various spots around the court, and at my eyes.

After he's satisfied that he has (i) had a good look at all the places he's not going to serve to and (ii) convinced himself that he has intimidated me by staring wildly at my own eyes, he serves.

As a receiver, I just ignore all of that and wait to see which way the shuttle goes.

:O)

6. chrisnchips

Student
    LOL

ditto

for receiving i feel exactly the same way... just relax and wait for the serve. Although I may not be as good at charging a serve... at least I am ready for most of the services, whichever way they go.:D

7. Furtil

Furtil Regular Member

student
    i agree. it's much better when you only concentrate on one purpose at a time.

8. disney

disney Regular Member

as for reciving a serve..i used to focus on the frame and the shutle connection..especial 4 backhand serve..this is bcos chip shot easily happen in dis kind of serve n the speed is faster then forehand serve..is more easy to predict if observing the frame..from the movement of the frame in a split second u cn much or lease predict if the shutle is going back court of front court..

9. chrisnchips

Student
    That's true... but what if they use the method similar to slicing for their short backhand serves. For those kind of serves it almost looks the same as a flick serve until you see where the shuttle goes.

10. Furtil

Furtil Regular Member

student
    hypnosis requires that you focus on one object, so if you focus on the frame you will be easy prey to your opponent, considering he knows what he's doing. on the unlikely event that it does work, your opponent will know your motive from then on and he may easily deceive you.

11. okieoutie

okieoutie Regular Member

IT
    I look at the T and maybe my racket, where my opponent is standing, 3 or 4 spots where I can serve to, then the top of the net before I serve.

12. Pulish

Pulish Regular Member

Theocrat
    I look at my opponents stance and position. Just like in the Police Academy, we study the conscience of people whether they are criminals or not.
    But it is different in the real game when your opponnents are veterans and professionals, they know how to set and kick butts!:eek:

13. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    I look at my opponent , where he stand, once he not alert , i will flip high, make him off guard!

14. xyxyz

xyxyz Regular Member

I voted for all over the place cuz I really do look everywhere when I decide where I serve to, but I'll look at other places other than where I am to serve. Sometimes I'll stare at my opponent's head when I make a flat serve to the back (thinking hopefully that the shuttlecock will fly straight into his face hahaha)

15. gavinloh

gavinloh Regular Member

I look at my opponent stance (in double) and thinking of where the birdie should drop. If the opponent is too near to the net, thinking I am going to drop just cross the net, then I will punish them by pushing the birdie to the back.

Sometimes, I will serve the birdies to the corner to allow a subsequent net pay to deceive them.

16. loggietoh2003

loggietoh2003 Regular Member

Army Officer
    In all things, there should be 3-pts contact i.e. At the Net, The opponent stance, The place you intended to serve. Why this 3-pts? At the net, this is because, if you do not serve over the net, what play are you talking about. The opponent stance, you need to see how he hold his racket up or down, one leg forward, body lean forward standing near to the service line & centre line etc. before determine low serve or flick serve. Intended place to serve, you need to have your objective and sense of direction.

17. Cancelok

Cancelok Regular Member

student
    Recently I've been trying to make myself more consistent, and I've experimented with various ways of doing so.

I've never noticed where I look when serving, but I have noticed recently that for me to play consistently, I form a "before-image" in my head of myself performing an action. To do a short serve, I just imagine my stroke being completed. Then, when I do serve, my body makes all the right movements and the serve is good :)
    Or when I receive a serve, I imagine a "ghost" right in front of me, positioned to do a net shot into the corner.

So I voted that I look everywhere.

18. egibney

egibney Regular Member

wow, this thread has gotten a lot of attention, didn't realize this was such a popular topic!

19. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory
    For me playing for more 20 years, i look at my opponent eye, especially in double.
    look at his eyes to pull his attention away from the shuttlecock.
    cause normally our opponent will look at the shuttlecock,
    So look at his eyes, when the time he look back to you, serve immediately.
    Normally i serve to back court and serve has to be very consistent.
    Normally my opponent get trick one to two time, then he will know. useless to keep using this way frequently.

20. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    ''where do you look when you serve?''

i would assume the question is 'where do you look just before you serve'
    if that is the case, obviously one has to look at the white tap a second just before you serve. u need to visualize your shuttle going over it smoothly (self confidence!)

prior to that one has to look for the opponent, if he is ready - delay in your serve, where he stand, his racket height ..... the total time may take up to 4 to 5 sec and thats long enough for your opponent to tilt or even loose the mood to dash forward!

if one is to take the bird and just serve it would be an advantage to yr opponent as by the the 3rd or 4th of yr serve he or she will have an idea and where to attack you.