Full-strength slice smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by wristworks, Jun 13, 2009.

1. 0bito

0bito Regular Member

Student
    I know what you are talking about, and I have done this before. I am not sure if its proper technique or not, but an easy way to do this is by holding the racquet with a backhand grip and just swing full power like you normally would with a straight smash. The shuttle will leave your racquet at the speed of a normal smash, then it will slow down tremendously when it reaches the net. It looks and sounds like normal smash, so if you can pull it off, it can be very deceptive.

By the way, if you are right handed, the shuttle should go crosscourt from right to left.

Hope this helps, try it out and tell us if it worked out.

#21 0bito, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  2. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Hmm....I remember I pull this off before, but that was pure luck. My grip was in a weird position for a forehand and I was like "what the heck, I'll smash anyway". Then it came out something like the slice-smash you're talking about. However, the positioning of the shuttle is a bit far off the sideline so it's out for me.

3. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

When I first saw that video it looked to me like what Paul Eriks describes as a "stick". A half strength smash which isn't followed through, except this one seems to have been sliced for the cross-court effect. With a full strength slice smash I would have expected a quicker and more angled result.

EDIT: After watching that video again, it seems to have had that effect because he jumped and hit the shuttle earlier, that way the angled shot had further to travel before hitting the floor and due to more velocity on the shuttle it looked like a full strength slice smash, that's as much as I can make of it.

#23 TedTheFarmer, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  4. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    anyone in here want to demonstrate the shots, "DROP slice" and "SMASH slice" and post it up to see the differences? especially the people who said it's easy to do it
    =)
    I really don't get what is smash slice

5. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Gamepurpose - I thought people don't mainly use slow drops , because they are so tight to the net , and give the opponent a bit more time that they can get their early and play a tight net shot to the net. Because the shuttle is already next to the net , they can make their tumble net back really tight!

6. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    no they don't do slow drops, but what if the motion of your swing is powerful. And If you know the slide drop shots, the slide drop shots goes faster than normal tight net drop shots.
    Explanation: normal drop shots has more distance travel, slide drop shots it goes less of an oval shape, and it goes down some what decent speed when it reach that stopping spin of the bird (not sure about is it the cost of the spinning of the bird stop thats y it all suddenly drop down.) But anyhow, the slide drop shot goes faster then normal drop shot, and it can be done with tight to the net as the normal 1.
    It's not very threatful shot but because of the strong swing motion, that can be a deceptive shots sometime.

7. Koolsan

Koolsan Regular Member

Company director
    I tried it last night , it does work great with the b/hand grip .Thks for the tip .

8. wristworks

wristworks Regular Member

I clearly need more practice. I think I got it to work once... it's hard to tell.

9. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkLIOLUmpsU

Check out here at 3:42, Peter Gade smashing crosscourt.

Later on, 5:56, Lin Dan doing another one.

Note, these are all slice smashes, not reverse slice smashes (which go crosscourt from around the head position)

10. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    2 of the shots that athelete show out, it wasn't that dramatic slide. And if we've been talkin about this shot as the one that the first post ever talked about. I do not see this shots as a full strength smash motion.
    The first post said it had the motion of a very powerful smash, but the bird only goes at a distance and drop down. The shots from this video is going at one speed from the point it left the contact point to the floor (maybe a little change because when it comes to the oval shape part, but that's pretty much all shots are like that, unless is a smash)
    Moreover, for super slide drop you can make the bird goes straight infront of you too.
    And yea really, now i still don't know what is the slide smash really are.

11. jbchiong

jbchiong Regular Member

I'm no expert but I do understand that once you slice your shot that's a drop shot. The main difference between a smash and a drop shot is through it's stroke. When you smash you move your racket forward. But once you slice your shot whether it is strong or light it is still a drop shot.

12. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    The problem with this is that most singles players want a smash they can recover from faster, so they dont' put 100% into it unless it's for the kill from a half court lift. The problem with that is that if they do go for the kill, there isn't any reason to slice it because you can put it away by just playing it as hard as possible. What is noticable in these videos is how sharp the smash becomes; the players have to defend these from just past the front service line because the spin makes the bird dip faster, as well as go crosscourt when the body language suggests otherwise.

13. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Would you thereby claim that only one direction for the slice is correct, in oppose to the claim that you can slice it both ways, depending on whether you want to increase or decrease the rotation of the shuttle?

14. monticore

monticore Regular Member

i use a slice shot alot but i try to desquise like a clear and add alot of slice and it turns into a drop. seems to be very effective just can be hard to control distance. the across the body slice definetly carries further so i slice a bit less and use more like a control smash.

cory

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No, I woudn't. You can certainly slice both ways ("slice" and "reverse slice"). Which way would you choose? It depends which direction you want to hit.

The direction of shuttle spin is unlikely to be a significant factor in the end result of your shot. Certainly it's not significant enough to affect your decision. The shuttle rapidly corrects itself after being hit, and establishes its normal aerodynamic axial spin (anticlockwise as seen from the hitter).

The main time you need to take spin into consideration is when your opponent just played a spinning (tumbling) net shot. To counter with your own spinning net shot, it's usually better to "match" your opponent's spin, rather than go in the opposite direction.

#35 Gollum, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  16. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    The way a Japanese coach taught me was that it's more or less a half-smash/slice shot. The reason you see it as full power is because it's suppose to be done with full rotation and full follow through. The deception is there for a full smash, but with half the power and slice added, the "cut" shot dies before where the reciever expects it to be. In my experiences, anything hit harder than a half-smash makes the angle go way too wide, or the length way too far (making it easier to return). But I guess, theoretically (factoring in the enormous amount of power and skill with slices in pros), they could hit it as hard as a full smash, but put enough cut into it to make it drop. Again, in my experience, if done right, I hit line every single time. And the placement should be:

Drop

Cut (Slice Smash)

Smash

17. amleto

amleto Regular Member

the biggest difference in how much a shuttle dies, is dependent on what you do with your fingers ime. If you start with racquet loose in hand, held mainly by thumb and index finger, then tighten with other fings on shuttle contact will increase shuttle spin a lot. This increases the shedding of speed and the shuttle seems to nose-dive more than a static grip slice shot.

18. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I find if you repeat the process for a sliced drop, provided you use the same action for a drop and sliced drop, except with the slice in the deception. You just speed it up, and over emphasize the slice (really go for as much slice as possible). Reverse or straight slice is the same.
    Ooh and It cannot be done with a tight grip. As amleto says you must remain with a loose grip till the last minute or the shot will be rubbish.
    Eventually you will end up doing a smash that seems to become a drop shot as it passes the net.
    I know exactly what was meant by the smash becoming a drop, and it's true, the shuttle seems to die during the shot and the opponent/s are left stood waiting for a smash.

19. betazone

betazone Regular Member

20. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

I would have thought that a slice drop would be easier to learn first, then the slice smash after that. Took me a while to figure out slice drops at first until I saw somone do it. For both you need to learn the right angle and really go fo it without being afraid of destroying the shuttle!