New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Yeah, buy an MX60

2. meteor

meteor Regular Member

The stringer this time would be the Central Sports shop stringer - they offer free stringing on mx80 :) I trust they do a good job - or so they did so far on my previous purchases. Trying another stringer in my area is big fuss, expensive, miles to travel and I dont trust them anyway! :)
    Unfortunately there's no Zymax on offer, only NBGY98, BG80, BG80P, BG66UM - of the ones I'd be interested in...

I will go for BG66UM@25.

J4ackie: I had nbgy98 and bg80 at 26lbs on the mx80 and bg80 at 26 on the bs10 - all felt ok except for the nbgy98, quite planky.
    The higher the tension the smaller the sweetspot...
    It is possible that 24-25lbs is a threshold for sweetspot generosity on most strings.

3. whenry

whenry Regular Member

Actually I did, and the pain gone, but, I still love to play with MX80. Since they have different personality, and I can not stand the pain any longer. That's way I ask is there any way to lessen the vibration on MX 80, so that I still can keep playing with MX 80

4. Cillu

Cillu Regular Member

Racquet Tech
    An example of a soft string and a thick grip would be BG65 and Karakal PU Super Grip respectively.

5. whenry

whenry Regular Member

Thx cillu, will try the soft string and thick grip

6. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

Took it for a spin today and dang, this thing is powerful. The factory grip is shoddy though and it started moving quickly. Apart from that, brilliant racket. Smashes were dead on, no problems with placement and netshots are precise. A whole different world, considering I play a Zslash.

I do feel my elbow though. I'll soon find out how that goes since next week ill be playing 4 days in a row.

7. 3radius

3radius Regular Member

change stringer. i had this problem b4.

8. 3radius

3radius Regular Member

i hear ye... 27lbs with Bg66UM...hope it won't be a pingpong bat...

9. whenry

whenry Regular Member

3 radius, are you suggesting that if I change my stringer than the vibration will be gone? sorry, didn't quite catch your saying

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

There is the possibility that the stringjob is subpar and that the racket vibrates because of that. However, I would guess it's an issue with your timing or point of contact - my racket only vibrates if the shot is hit outside the sweetspot or timed incorrectly.
    Or perhaps you meant that the shock is hurting your elbow? In that case, only softer strings and/or a softer racket can help. Some off-court training can also help strengthen your muscles to absorb the shock better.

11. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

I agree with j4ckie, it could be the stringer but I guess it may be more to do with your timing and technique. Off centre hit will product more vibration than a properly timed shot.

Apart from stringjob quality and the player technique/physique, you can also:

1. use a lower string tension
    2. use a softer string, e.g. BG65
    3. a combination of 1 and 2

12. meteor

meteor Regular Member

Whenry, my mx80 is curently strung with bg65 and has low tension. The grip I use is Karakal Kushy grip - one of the thickest around. Still, it tends to hurt more than my mx70 with bg66UM@25lbs...

Arm strength is paramount - both for keeping your tendons in one piece and for utilising the full potential of power of this stiffster.
    I don't know if you do any strength building or not, but if you don't, have a go! It helped me a lot.:)

13. 3radius

3radius Regular Member

my bad, i had a seriously painful tennis elbow last time. strung only at 26lbs on my at900t. i almost accepted the fact that i couldn't take high tension until i decided to try another stringer, 26bs also on same racquet. it was then i realised that the vibrations disappeared and so did my tennis elbow. can't really be stringer fault as both were quite famous here in bc. i can only nail it down to their different stringing patterns. fyi, now i been tensions at 28lbs. so far no pain :)

14. 3radius

3radius Regular Member

15. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ could it be possible that stringer A's 26 lb and stringer B's 26 lb are not the same? ;)

16. whenry

whenry Regular Member

Thanks a lot guys for the advice. The way I see it now:
    1. Subpar Stringer that causes vibration. I don't think so because I have elbow problem only with MX 80. I played with BS10, which many people considered stiff, BS 09, MX 60, Armortec limited, and VT 80. VT 80, which is classified very stiff, only tiring my arm not causing pain. Another argument is that my stringer is quite popular, he is sort of an official stringer when there are events, national or international in my city. And lastly, there are some people that also have elbow problem with MX 80
    2. Strong muscle. I don't do any strength building (guilty). Maybe J4ckie and meteor could elaborate more on how to do off-court training and strength building.
    3. Lower tension. I tried to lower the tension from 24-26 into 23-25, but I don't like lower tension. The feeling is difference. I think I will try again to go straight 24 lbs (without main and cross difference) with soft string.
    4. Thicker grip. I used to use thin overgrip. I'll try thick overgrip to dampen the vibration
    5. Soft string. I don't know if this is correct, with thicker string, such as BG65 (0.7 mm), you need a higher tension to yield the same result as thinner string with lower tension. I am considering BG68ti, BG 66 ultimax or nanogy 98. They all have high shock absorption rating when I saw from the yonex 2011 catalog
    6. Technique. I don't know if I have the correct technique or not, LOL. So far, there is no problem with my elbow with other rackets; my nanogy 95 at 24-26lbs lasts about 1.5-2 mo (3 rackets on my bag) and snap in the middle, indicating I hit at the right spot, however I don't know if I hit the birdie flat or a little bit slicing.

Once again, thanks a lot guys. Hopefully, I don't post on the wrong thread, it is MX 80 thread, and I want to have my MX 80 as enjoyable as my other rackets again, as well as other people who have the same elbow problem when playing with MX 80.

Cheers, Henry

17. Cillu

Cillu Regular Member

Racquet Tech
    I think thicker strings do help because it generates a duller feeling than it's thinner string counterparts which generates better feeling, inducing more feedback to arm.

Mind you thicker strings won't help if you always mishit or hit the rim.

18. whenry

whenry Regular Member

@ cillu
    I see, will try for the thicker string. Thx cillu

19. 3radius

3radius Regular Member

yes, that came up in my mind but since then i have tried many other stringers, pristine new ecp victor/lining stringing machines. pretty sure they are at least within 0.5-1lbs of the actual tension specified. also, i have gone up to 28lbs, neglible vibration. most importantly, no tennis elbow.

20. meteor

meteor Regular Member

I had (the second) mx80 with 66um at 25 lbs delivered yesterday and had a 3 hours club night with it.
    BG66UM on x80 is obscene! Incredible sharpness and power.
    Thanks Yonex for supplying the best string for mx80.:D