Chen Long ( 谌龙 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by robin7, Nov 6, 2007.

1. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Another rumour says he's after Akane Y, apparently the China government wants to make peace
    with the Japan over the island dispute....such a nice boy, always friendly and willing.

2. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

And how a relationship between 2 badminton players supposed to make it happen more effectively than all the diplomation effort?

3. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Because we are all badminton fans!!!
    Sports purpose is to unite the world!!!
    Peace not war/Sports not war!!!

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

One report related an interesting incident during the Chen Long - Chong Wei Feng semifinal yesterday when CWF was trailing 18-19 after a run of four points to close the gap.

When CWF was about to serve, a gentleman from the audience, presumably a Chen Long fan who wanted to urge him on, shouted,'Wang Shixian has already won !'. At this point, CWF turned to look at him as the spectators broke into laughter. Hearing that, Chen Long poised to receive serve also gave an amusing smile and then gestured to CWF to get ready to serve again.
    http://sports.qq.com/a/20131116/005888.htm

Yes, it's an open secret that Chen Long and Wang Shixian are an item. But the couple prefers to keep a low profile, never admitted it openly, and always refused to answer any interviewer regarding their relationship.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Here is a reporter (the second one) who annoyed Chen Long http://sports.qq.com/a/20131117/000236.htm -

At the Chen Long - Chong Wei Feng post match interview, a reporter asked:" This time there is no Lee Chong Wei, also no Lin Dan, is the tournament somewhat lonely?" Chen long replied with a smile:" I feel the tournament is still rather competitive, especially the first set (with CWF)."

Soon after, another reporter questioned:" Lin Dan's comeback, is it a hindrance or a boost to you?" Chen Long was heard to have responded:" How do you view this issue?"
    The reporter expressed :" I'm asking for your view."
    Then Chen Long retorted :" I'm asking your view," following which, he picked up his kit bag, turned and walked away.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sorry, I think the word ' boost' above should be better translated as ' shock'.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Despite grabbing seven championships during Lin Dan's absence, Chen Long is yet to be his successor. Every time Lin Dan's name is mentioned, Chen Long feels vexed.
    http://sports.qq.com/a/20131122/002183.htm

It turned out that Lin Dan's magnificent comeback dealt a big blow to Chen Long who not only lost the WC battle but also led to his self-doubt, waning confidence and demoralization. Subsequently it resulted in his abrupt loss of form suffering two stunning defeats in the Chinese National Games that followed, one to Li Yu, a coach and retired player of Jiangsu province, in the team event and another at the hands of his younger national teammate, Chen Yuekun, in the individual event at the QF.

But the rut didn't stop there; it reached a nadir when he was unceremoniously bundled out by an unknwon JPN qualifier, a certain Kazuteru Kozai, who stunned him at the JPN Open in the very first round, reminiscent of his previous R1 fiasco at the 2011 WC to a Panamanian, Kevin Cordon.

It seems that what Chen Long is going through in this most difficult period of his career and life is no better than what LXR is going through after her WC'13 failure. Both are/were depressed, for Chen Long it got so unbearable after the CNG debacle whereupon he could not eat or sleep well for a month, passing time as if counting the days.

However, happily, unlike LXR, Chen Long began to gradually get himself back on his feet, learning from that experience, becoming a bit more mature, his mind calmer. It was then during the recent CBSL (Chinese Badminton Super League) where he won some matches that he recovered the winning feel and regained his confidence which later culminated in the China Open triumph beating his archrival,Lee CW, in the final for the 3rd time in a row and following that up with retaining his title at the China Open besting his compatriot, Wang Zhengming, in a repeat of the previous year's final.

Great to see Chen Long, The Dragon, back with the winning touch. IMHO, I personally feel Chen Long is the only one at the moment who can challenge Lin Dan for a major title.

(The above is not a full translation of the long Mandarin article but selectively my interpretation of those points relating to the aftermath of Chen Long's WC and CNG disastrous results that impacted him.)

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

This very long article is worth a read for those who understand Mandarin http://sports.qq.com/a/20131207/004946.htm It relates mainly to Chen Long's ordeals and struggles recently, esp the impact of Lin Dan's comeback on him.

For me, two points caught my attention, one I find amusing and the other is revealing of Li Yongbo's demands from his players.

The first one is on Chen Long's fiasco at the 2011 WC where he was unceremoniously bundled out in the first round by Kevin Cordon. Ever since that humiliating and shocking loss which affected him very badly at first, nowadays whenever his colleagues tease or jokingly mock him about it, he would invariably respond :" Ah, it's all right, I know where Guatemala is." It was reported that immediately after that sensational defeat, a dazed Chen Long actually asked his coach blankly, " Where is Guatemala?"

The second has to do with Li Yongbo impressing upon his charges, the Men's Singles, that any tournament/title won without Lee CW's participation does not count.

9. Xamime

Xamime Regular Member

chen-long-2011-6-25-7-40-24.jpg 156577292.jpg

What is this racket Chen Long is using? It doesn't look like the standard Flame n55???|

10. shahkiz

shahkiz Regular Member

Student
    well it is n55.... same style with lin dan.. tape on top of the frame ^_^

11. Xamime

Xamime Regular Member

Oh really? is it the n55ii?

And why would he tape it? I am so surprised..!
    Thanks!

12. markuswair

markuswair Regular Member

Student
    The second one is mind-blowing :0 Have no idea that LYB is that demanding!

13. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Chen Long is still improving ever since he won the World Junior championship, time is with him!

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Personally, I strongly feel it reflects very well on Li Yongbo (harsh as he may seem) and CBA that a true world champion or titlist has to be the very best in the world or tournament by taking on all the creme de la creme (not just in the rest of the world), avoiding none unless unintended, as proof of his worth and mettle.

Contrast this with BAM or Lee CW who actually wanted to win the world championship without Lin Dan participating and raising a hue and cry about the latter's wild card entry granted by BWF.

Incidentally, going by LYB's exacting demand, only the following of his charges have won tournaments/titles where Lee CW participated, namely, Lin Dan, Chen Long, Tian Houwei (Aussie GPG 2013, semifinal clash), and previously, Chen Jin (Paris WC 2010 though the two didn't meet), Bao Chunlai (CHN Open 2007),and Chen Hong (MAS Open 2003, maybe too far back to count) - based on titles won, not H2H.

15. markuswair

markuswair Regular Member

Student
    BAM should note this. There's no point of them complaining on the WC wildcard handed to Lin Dan. If LCW want to grab the crown, he must trounce all players, including LD.

16. laivc

laivc Regular Member

Sales
    Exactly!!! No point for LCW being a hollow world champion without beating the current best Men Single player in the world and the current defending champion in LD.

17. Ferrerkiko

audit assistant
    Woo, Chen Long beat Lee chong wei again 21-14. 21-15 korea open 2014 final.

18. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

looks like Chen Long will be invinsible if Lin Dan & Lee Chong Wei officially retire from badminton career...

19. Ferrerkiko

audit assistant
    Although Chen Long do not have that type of fear factor that give to other players, or Lin dan explosive smashes. What I admire him is his determination, his footwork , smash, drop, net, drive, lobbing. It really seems that his training on drills , footworks, all training drills all paying off..Great!

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Wow, four successive victories over the mighty Lee CW, all in two straight sets to boot - the first person to do so, Chen Long, I salute you.

For those who have watched the CL vs LCW match earlier today, it may not be presumptuous for me to say you would probably agree with me that Chen Long always reserves his A-game for LCW and is content to do just enough to beat anybody else - intentionally so, I believe, not only to conserve his energy but also to keep his best 'weapons' for dealing with more difficult opponents and to prevent familiarity with his game.

Actually, Chen Long should count himself fortunate to be schooled by Lin Dan and Lee CW, the two leading maestros who are now at the tail-end of their illustrious careers - it will benefit him abundantly towards becoming a great player himself. In fact, Chen Long has often said humbly that he adopted a learning approach whenever he played Lee CW; that's the right attitude. Likewise, he admitted he still has a lot to learn from Lin Dan, wanted to emulate him and was aware there is a long way to catch up with him.