what type of badminton fan are you?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Dreamzz, Mar 18, 2008.

?

what kind of badminton fan are you?

1. 1) play badminton but are not interested in international badminton tournaments at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2) play badminton and do follow the pros and the international circuit religiously

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. 3) something in between 1) and 2)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4) those who don't actually play badminton but do follow international tournaments

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. No one

No one Regular Member

yeah slightly off-topic here, but totally agree with Mark A. The worst thing about DH is, he repeats what Gillian Clark has just said. So if GC says "do you think, Darren, that X has lost steam in the 2nd set?" DH: "Absolutely, Gill, X put so much energy into the 1st set that he's got no energy now...."

Another thing DH loves to say: "yeah, he's taking it so early Gill....."

2. No one

No one Regular Member

btw I know this is just a fun survey, but it's kind of biased from the beginning, isn't it? Basically, only those who are either 2 or 3 are going to be logging on here, which is mostly for those interested in the players and the tournaments....those who want advice or tips will only 'stay' for the advice and then 'leave'--they don't want to read about the latest hairstyle of XXF (much better than her last one! and don't get me started on Zhou Mi) or whatever....

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

ah, well, i guess it is a little biased. i did expect between 10-20% to be in categories 1 and 4 though, i'm quite surprised it's only about 5%. it doesn't matter, it's just a poll, and like you said, it's just for a laugh.

4. No one

No one Regular Member

hey sorry I'm a complete pedant.:eek: well you're totally right though: I have a couple of friends who play like mad but were surprised to hear about the All England last week, and showed little interest in going. They don't make any connection between the game they enjoy playing and watching the professionals.:confused: I wonder if this is the same for other sports?

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i'm guessing it's less so, especially for most of the more popular sports here in the uk. football, cricket, rugby, tennis, snooker, darts and even lawn bowls get more coverage here than badminton. if they were to show it more on terrestial, i'm sure more people would get into it.

6. Xinguy

Xinguy Regular Member

Part Time Club Player...
    I guess i would pick no 2 i play 5 times a wk, n whenever if i am not playing my hand would get itchy:D & usually i also do follow up with the tournaments:)

7. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    Hes still better than some commentators though. Some commentators, everything they say you already know, and you can pick up errors in their commentary. I heard from somewhere that one even marvelled that the players weren't waiting the shuttle to hit the ground before returning it (ala tennis)! :eek::eek::eek:

8. No one

No one Regular Member

:rolleyes:true....honestly, I wish that whoever was in charge would either a. provide a decent, knowledgeable commentator, or b. don't provide one at all, because a bad commentator is even worse than than not having one. It drives me crazy: it's almost as if they don't trust us to be able to enjoy a game without someone providing us with commentary:crying:--a bit like a laugh track.

ok rant over.....:D:D

9. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

I m type 4, seldom play badminton, but follow tournament closely.....I m good at mopping the floor....hahahahaha

10. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

don't you get the urge to play after watching your favourite stars on court?

11. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

errrrr.....I have racquet, but, I m really lousy....my baddy partners are my niece n nephew....really beginner....

U sure get bored, if we have the chance to play badminton together....:D

12. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

haha, oh well, i'm sure you can find kaki in kuching if you really wanted to. i've only ever been to kuching once, like 10 years ago or something now. what really surprised me was how similar the hokkien in kuching is to the hokkien in penang. and we're so far apart as well. the seafood was amazing!

13. BlankShot

BlankShot Regular Member

Same with all sports I play, I rather spend my time playing the sport than following the professionals, who have close to no effect in the realm of badminton that I play in. Though, sometimes the matches can be amazing :O

14. deadman85

deadman85 Regular Member

Student, P/T roulette dealer, P/T waiter
    before i just play badminton, now i watch tournaments as often as i can
    so...can i change my poll? =P

1. it's fun to watch pros play because they usually have amazing rallies
    2. it's interesting to observe how players move, react and play shots, and often we learn from them

15. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

I'm the second type of fan xD

16. kingmarioxv

kingmarioxv Regular Member

graduate student
    Being in Jamaica, and communting over 100km per day makes for very little badminton but I do get in about 2 days a week. However I don't follow international players... if only badminton was more accessible I'd play every day. There are times when I dream badminton (sigh)

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Gotta give a thumbs for you..

...boy, i must say you are 1 dedicated and passionate baddy person!!...:cool::cool:

18. kingmarioxv

kingmarioxv Regular Member

graduate student
    Got to get it whenever I can! :D

19. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

100km a day?
    how's the traffic though?

20. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    i love badminton and almost everything about it. gets me good exercise and good lungs. i enjoy smashing those birds. i can't enough of it. but however i think it's a boring sport to watch and thats why it's not so much popular.

anyone here in minnesota?