Carlton Vapour Trail Pure

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Maklike Tier, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    image-2.jpeg image.jpeg image-1.jpeg

Okay, photos! This paint freaks cameras out. It's a pearlescent purple, that highlights in blue, which explains why some photos on the web look purple, and some look blue. Trust me, it's purple :)

2. Stephanus

Stephanus Regular Member

Hard worker
    Hi Maklike,

I also saw VTPure on sale, AUD 85, delivered to Sydney.
    What do you think of the built quality & playability compared to Victor racket (MX60) or Yonex (VT70)? I play MD using VT80, MX JJS and MX 60. I found MX 60 is fastest amongst those 3.
    I am looking for a similar-but-cheaper racket to MX 60. Unfortunately, I can't find any review of VTPure. Thanks.

3. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    I dunno mate. Honestly, the biggest problem is the size of the handles, they're MASSIVE. I'm a big guy and even I had to plane the handle down. It's not hard, but it does take some confidence because you don't want to mess it up!

If you planed the handle down, and added say an RKEP factory style grip and then added an over grip (or maybe two layers of .6 over grip?), then the Pure might be closer to the MX60 in spec. It would probably end up at the wet spec I mentioned above, which is very close to the MX60 I had. You'd have to be careful because the handle is super fat and the factory grip is super heavy, so if you remove them, the BP goes through the roof. If I did to the Tour what I did to the Flux, the BP would be pushing 320! That's Voltric territory.

As for the quality, it's good. Victor levels without reservation. The only difference I can see between the Tour and the Pure, is that the Tour has metal foil decals in a few places, whereas the Pure just has them in white. The Tour also has the 'V12 grommets' whatever the hell they are. Worth the price difference? Meh, I don't think so. The Pure is a star bargain.

4. Stephanus

Stephanus Regular Member

Hard worker
    The super fat handle might cause a bigger issue for me. I always play with 4u rackets without over grip. Those rackets have G4-5 handle sizes. Would you say it is bigger than yonex G3?
    It is cheap but potentially unusable for me if the handle too big/bp too high. I hope you don't mind sharing your experiences after playing with these rackets. Thanks.

5. TheNotoriousLIG

TheNotoriousLIG Regular Member

Student
    Its a big handle. A size bigger than yonex G4 by my estimation but I have forgotten what the grip sticker said when I bought it. Honestly I love smaller handles, G5 is my favourite for a mid balance or head light, G4 for head heavy but I only put one overgrip directly onto wood. I like it like that, but my VTE with its bigger handle was cumbersome to start off with, but now I honestly think that if the handle was any smaller, it would not be as great a racquet as it is. It needs to be held differently to how I usually hold my racquets and it took a few sessions to get used to, but now I can't imagine using it any differently. It works well for some reason with it but I know this may not be the case with the VTT or VTP. I still use a normal handle on my MX80 because it responds well to it, but I wouldn't consider a smaller handle on my carlton anymore. You need to have fairly strong fingers and wrist with a grip that big (I have smallish hands so I really feel this) but it does work well. Certainly ask to give it a try, you may be surprised like myself.

6. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    You will definitely have to plane the handle down then, no question. I dunno what the actual size is, but it's the biggest I've ever, er, 'handled'. :D

The BP can be changed easily by sticking some lead tape on the handle anyway after you've shaved it down, and the swing weight won't change significantly if you shave the handle, even if the BP seems crazy high.

My typical preferred Swing Weight is about 41g, and this new VTP is only 39g, even with the highest BP of any racket I've ever owned. Balance Point doesn't really tell you the proper story of how the racket will feel when swung.

For example, the lighter the rackets overall weight, the higher the balance point can be and still swing the same.

7. Stephanus

Stephanus Regular Member

Hard worker
    Hi Maklike, what do you think of VTP now? How is it compared to mx60 or bs12?thanks.

8. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Haven't used it for long enough yet. I'll do a proper review once I have a few more hours on it. So far though, it's excellent!

9. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Okay so I've had a bit more of a hit with the Pure, and whilst I can see the kind of player that would absolutely slay with it, unfortunately that guy isn't me. It doesn't have enough swing-weight for my swing speed (slow) and as a result I can't get enough power out of it. Swapping back to my go-to brought back my smash and my backhand, which I couldn't get right with the Pure.

It's a very nice racket esp for the money, but the 39g swing weight just doesn't work for me. If you're thinking abou trying the new wave of super light rackets and 39g works for you then you should definitely give the Pure a try.

For me now, I definitely know 41g is my sweet spot.

#29 Maklike Tier, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  10. meteor

meteor Regular Member

Sorry to hear you didn't get on with the Pure! Unfortunately Carlton specs are often misleading. I'm sure the Flux or VT Ignite would fit your preferred swing weight. My Ignite has 42g but feels faster than the mx70 - 41.5g.
    The flux now is heavily discounted in Uk due to new rackets being introduced. 33quid.

11. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Yeah I wish I got the Flux now. What I really want is a lighter Tour. The Tour feels very nice but I'm so used to light(ish) rackets now, that anything over 91g wet just doesn't work for me.

12. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

If anyone wants a vapour trail pure let me know, I have a couple of them I would be willing to sell. I was going to sell my apacs virtuoso performance rackets instead but I have started to play well with those now but something else has to go!

13. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Theyre nice rackets. Anyone wanting to try the whole 'superlight' thing should buy a Pure. Great performers and a packet cheaper than an FB.

14. Muhammad Amir Farooq

m getting a good deal on ignite but I
    Getting good discount on VT ignite, is it worth getting in comparison to elite and tour.

15. Muhammad Amir Farooq

Getting good discount on VT ignite, is it worth getting in comparison to elite and tour.