Is CBL killin off SS?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by extremenanopowe, Dec 10, 2010.

1. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    yes, i know what you mean.

as i said it looks like at first the cbsl will, sort of, go hand in hand with bwf ss or ps.

the rules says only top 8 players (correct me if i am wrong) will be invited to participate in cbsl

so here indirectly top players will have to be active in ss or ps to maintain their ranking.

now the question is, what happen later if that rule is abolished, say top 20 players can participate?

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    at times it irks me when some said, he played in cbl and tired in jo.

how come people like th, pg not complaining? They also play day in and out. ;) excuse, excuse and excuse.

I hope they will be 'true' professionals which I doubt. ;) Credibility gone. Same goes to their officials. ;)

3. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    lets hope the new ruling of minimum 9 ss/ps will leave them no time to complain lol

4. well-son

well-son Regular Member

So what conclusion do we have so far regarding the question of this thread?

Or may I ask another questions?

Is CBSL good for
    1) badminton in general?
    2) Chinese players who compete in it but skip some SS?
    3) foreign players who compete in it say TH or others?

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..for a 2+ - months event, it sure is putting a bit of competition to the BWF schedule..of course, the ones who benefit the most are the CHN based players and the sponsors..

It's good for badminton and BWF in general because it shines a light that badminton can still thrive, esp. in CHN, even without BWF..In other words, if one day BWF decided to close shop, guess what, badminton will still be popular and played competitively all over CHN..
    It's also good for the Chinese players who don't have enough chances to compete internationally to play against some of their better compatriots..Reality is, most of the top CHN national players compete in the reg. BWF team events tourneys or have enough pts to qualify for certain major events (OG, WC, AG) or if Li-Ning is a sponsor of a certain tourney..
    It's good only for foreign players who are at least in the same level of TH or LCW..

#25 ctjcad, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  6. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I thought all the answers were already in post 1618 of Lin Dan thread?

Its getting to be like old wine in new bottles.

7. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I heard that CBL may chnage the policies to allow top 16 or top 20 in near future..
    I do not think CBL will kill SS at all...the reason CBL has Feb to April this year to allow chinese players to compete more for Olympic qualification.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    money talks.

and it is payback from LYB to the BWF, the BWF for years has tried to undermine the strength of the Chinese team, either by changing the scoring system or limiting the number of entries in the Olympics. now Chinese players are self sufficient and starting to draw in bigger names to their own internal league. if there is enough interests, no one will care about the BWF sanctioned SS events anymore and everyone will bow to the CBSL. they will only care when it is Olympic years or once in a while for TC/UC/SC.

LYB's master revenge plan.

9. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Why not reserve 3months of the year for domestic leagues, After the German and CBL we can have others like

Msia/Singapore/Ina/Asean league, or South Asian League or Pacific League etc, it could create a lot of new industries and much needed jobs.

Trouble with China is that it is too bent on economic progress rather than the down to earth task of helping less developed nations in badminton unlike

BWF, maybe leagues and BWF can share roles? The Chinese public does not like to see Chinese domination of sports, that's why

TT is been overshadowed by Badminton. With strong leagues and big money badminton can be in the big league.

Of course then fans will have to accept that the world has changed from that of the 80s etc and think out of the box

just as the scoring system has changed etc.

At the moment is there an issue? 3 months for CBL and 9 months to play SS for players.

10. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    post # 1618 lin dan thread?

rather confused here....

11. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Does EPL kill off England's performance in World Cup 2010? It's all about money... :)

12. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    yes it is lyb vs bwf

and its going to be a long match!

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    CBL is business, pure and simple.

These types of leagues are set up to generate huge incomes for their clubs, and for the organizers. They are holding this festival in the country with the largest number of players and the greatest popularity of the game. No surprises so far. It always goes through it's "we are the most important thing since salt" phase and reality settles in later. The SS and BWF will survive, and they will be forced to adapt and change and re-invent themselves in their response to this challenge. They will do it because they are representative of the playing countries of the entire world. In the end, it is likely everyone will win.

14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Sure? LYB was the first to regret that his players would spend more time in the league

rather than playing for the country.

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Would there be more David Beckhams or even Eric Cantonas (who never played for France) if England did not have MUs etc and leagues?

Would EU clubs be such big business and have so many aspiring pros if not for pro football.

It is actually worthwhile considering the positive impacts of badminton pro leagues. It is aready like that in Table Tennis.

16. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Agree. Taufik is the 2nd foreign player (the 1st player is Tan Choon Fok of MAS) playing for the CBL, and he was reported earning RMB$100,000 per match (appearance fee)... I hope more foreign players will join the CBL and earn more $$$... end of the day, it's all about survival and MONEY :)

17. renbo

renbo Regular Member

For me, 6 months for the SS and six months for the national leagues. But not only the CBL, other nations must organize the same way. And then the two top clubs for each nations get into the international club league, much like the Champions league in football.
    The thing is, for the SS and the TC, SC, etc., each nation only have 2 or 3 players in each discipline. But for clubs you need much more. Even in one club having a star is not enough, you need some back up. So for me this league business is great for players, as it gives chance for good players but not good enough to be ranked among the top 10 worldwide.

18. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    hahaha, a guy like you believe lyb?

well, not for me.lol

19. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Great ideas... Let's hope the "Romans" and "Shieks" got bored with soccer and fall in love with badminton...

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    they still get to play when it matters, ie. on all the team and world championships + olympics, etc.

not really any different than what they are doing today, skipping a bunch of tournaments. perhaps 2010 was the testing year, see how players will perform without much international matches.

then they will play more and more CBSL, players earn more money, they don't complain, and i am sure LYB gets more money as well from the wealthier sponsors.

then everybody is happy. even the other international players are happy as they get more chances to actually win tournaments instead of China taking all of them.

seems like a win win situation.

oh, except BWF, but LYB don't really give a damn about them.