crouched mentality

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by mamapoko, Apr 10, 2010.

1. mamapoko

mamapoko Regular Member

Student
    hi guys,
    did u have this problem when u start playing badminton?
    you have this crouched mentality that the shuttle goes to the back,
    you position youself too much back during the return.
    However the shuttle comes near the net, you completely miss it..

Another prob,
    whenever you hit the shot,
    it always hits the middle when you're not thinking..
    & the opponent gets it easily and smashes u,,

Tks for ur help:)
    comment !!

2. bernboi

bernboi Regular Member

Duck ( U wan to buy?)
    Shuffle back to baseline, hit, run back to centre, u should be able to take the drop/net shots...

Try to get the shuttle before it lands and position yrself behind the shuttle..hit when u r ready...focus on the placement of the shuttlecock...anticipate where they will hit...focus focus focus...:D

3. Drgn01

Drgn01 Regular Member

Student
    I used to have the same problem where I wouldn't think about the shot and just clear it to the opponent's center rear or mid court. This greatly reduced the threat of my shots, since the opponent will already be at the center waiting for it..

To fix this, you have to develop a strategy off-court, and think about where you want to send the shuttle depending on where he hits it to and where he's standing. Then during a match, really focus and concentrate to follow this plan (or adapt it to the situation on the spot if your opponent is anticipating your shots too well.) If you want to be successful at a competitive level, you should be thinking about every single shot before you make it, even thinking about where you'll send his counter-shot to that shot at the same time.

4. mamapoko

mamapoko Regular Member

Student
    oo thx for advice:)
    er i ask u smth else.
    for example,
    sometimes if ur forehand clear is not far enough to the baseline,
    and you know opponent is smashing,
    how do you cover the whole court??
    very difficult for me...

5. Drgn01

Drgn01 Regular Member

Student
    There are a few things you can do to try and stop the easy point. The first thing is to make sure you don't give up the point without a fight.. Many times, if I was caught out of position and had to send a weak clear that would get smashed, I could still win the point because I knew the smash was coming, so I would get ready and do my best to return it, which worked because my opponent would just send a weak smash since they aren't expecting me to try and return it.

To get ready for a smash return, you first have to anticipate where they're going to smash. If your shot wasn't far and went to about mid-court then you'll want to stand a foot or two farther back than your usual center position, since you're expecting a steep smash that you'll have to dig up. I have a certain way of standing when I'm in smash-return position, but I'm not too sure how to explain it, or if it would work for you. For an example of how you should position yourself, you may want to check out some top-players singles videos (I would recommend watching LCW, who is renowned for his excellent defence.)
    The only other thing would be perhaps anticipating where he's sending the smash. You could think about whether they're going down the line, cross-court, or at your body.. But usually you'll only know where they're going after you've played them a bit and know that they prefer one spot over the others.

Just as an example, the other day I was in a tournament at my school, and at one point I was against an opponent who had was great at returning smashes. So rather than focusing on power, I had to focus on positioning of the smash. I noticed that he was anticipating my smashes down the line when I was near the side line, so every once and a while I would switch to a cross-court smash, and he was completely out of position to get it because he thought I was going one way. Although this anticipation can help with the return, I would recommend making sure you can return it from anywhere.

Anyways, hope that helps :p

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Good to hold firm when on impact to navigate the shots. Improve your footwork. Move faster. ;)