Rexy cancels one-week holiday for shuttlers

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Jessica, Aug 21, 2007.

1. thiery

thiery Regular Member

China players train consistently 8hrs/day for ages, perhaps the moment a player joins the badminton academy.

Some other countries only do it for 2-3 years or only do so when the tournaments are near. How can every nation that implement 8hrs or more can produce WC consistently like China? It's surely not as simple as that.

If you think 7hrs for Malaysian players are the best of the best, you win. Argument ends here. :cool: Only the coaches and players know what are the best. Anything that they do beyond the 7hrs is an extra bonus.

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I was ready to concede that one additional hour may add some marginal advantage with extra time for training but I cannot accept it being the key ingredient that differentiates between the quality of players from MAS and CHN.

As with every other sports in the world, talent is inborn - you either have it or don't. You can train on the physical aspects to take advantage of the talents but you can't do the reverse.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this, then. :cool:

It's not that simple indeed.

To be honest, I don't know how many hours is good enough for Malaysian players but I'm pretty sure it differs to other coaching setups at other places depending on the situation, culture, politics, management et al.

I'm quite sure China's blueprint isn't without flaws too - their powerful and speedy men's doubles often get outwitted by smarter and more tactical players.

My take on China's domination of world badminton lies in the fierce competition for places in the national team. They can probably find 5 Lin Dan-type players every 10 years or so while probably just one or none for other nations in the world. We have not seen the likes of young players like Peter Gade from Denmark for a long while, neither have we seen an equal of Susi Susanti from Indonesia with the exception of Mia Audina, many years later.

That is just by talent alone. What about the additional factors that I mentioned a earlier? 5 Lin Dans become 2, while others stay at 1 or often, becomes 0.

I'm pretty sure LCW would do a lot better if he had players of his calibre or better competing for places as the nation's number one, knowing that the kind of outburst against YKH may just push him out of the picture in favour of his local rival.

Again, how to deal with this? I don't know. Make more babies? :)

3. 4evercool

4evercool Regular Member

May be this is the good start 4 kkk n tbh coz practice makes prefect so hope them can "recovered" soon

4. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Quality is assumed. You think Rexy would give them dumbo training? What is crucial is to reach threshold duration. To find out, they need to experiment.If they are not getting consistent results with 5, 6 or 7 hours, then try and match CHN's 8 hours and see what happens.Hope MAS MDs survive 8 hours!

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Here's a thought..

:p..instead of 7 or 8 hrs of training/day, any M'sian players up for a 9 or 10 hrs training/day??..let's see if that training method will produce the desired effects..:confused::rolleyes:;)

6. olympic

olympic Regular Member

Hi, everyone! I am new here.
    Hopefully the doubles player could buck up after tough tough tough training.

7. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    yeah, couldnt agree more. making babies.....hmmm......:p:p:p:p

8. meiying

meiying Regular Member

The players' leg were sore. Most of them walk very funny(today should be better) maybe still not use to the 3 sessions. Haha

9. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Could it be too early for LCW & WMC :rolleyes::rolleyes: They aint married yet :p:p

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Tough training is a recurring theme with MAS players. There are always reports of tougher training. It is well known that elite athletes will actually taper off the tough training towards a competition. I don't expect this tough regime will last for long.

11. thiery

thiery Regular Member

hahaha......love this funny comment. LD & XXF aint married yet too.

BTW, i saw a news on ESPN channel today. It was said that the 3 sessions per day are not final yet. The coaches and players will meet with NSC (National Sports Council) next week. During the meeting, they'll all discuss abt this matter. And then, the NSC will make the final decision. So weird, why should NSC be the one to make the decision? They know nothing!!!

this is also the first time in so many months that ESPN has a news on Badminton. there surely is an increase in publicity. good for badminton.

12. aaron_11

aaron_11 Regular Member

student
    if they practise so much(even 10 hours a day) but their mind is somewhere else, then wats the point of practising?? if they can fully concentrate n train hard for tat 7 hours, i don see y they cant compete against china players... n mas players should buck up n don be so money minded.. they should be more consistent in winning more tournaments.. n also don over proud of wat they have achived..

13. USAfan

USAfan Regular Member

NewsMedia
    Just like what's being said by Rexy, you can't make the horse drink !!! Its up to each players' desire to train hard or wanting bad to win. Tiger Woods doesn't need his trainer forced him to train, he has a regiment schedule to get up early before dawn to work on his game. He hits over 1000 balls every session and go over to the putting green and putt again and again until he could putt into the cup three times in a roll before moving from the spot. That's determination from an inner-self. Our players need to acknowledge that by achieving good results comes with hard work and pure determination. Vijay Singh is considered the hardest working player in the tour and he realized for his age he have to train twice as hard, there's no short cut to success. Its high time the players start growing up and take responsibility. Don't led any outside be a hinderance, you will always be under scrutiny and critised as long as you are in the highlight of the public. Turn the negative to positive and set the mind to only the positive thoughts. Discipline the behaviours to do well and at the end of the day, you can have the satisfaction that you gave your best. Respect the game and the game will be kind to you.

14. aaron_11

aaron_11 Regular Member

student
    yeah tats true.. but the prob wit our players is that they just wouldnt work hard if theres no reward or some other incentives.. i think if u offer them certain amount of cash or rewards for winning each tournament then i think MAS badminton team will be as strong as CHN..

15. anr001

anr001 New Member

Executive
    From my opinion, Malaysian players may feel too comfortable with their status in the National team...until now...we can see there's no new junior player that show a great performance (or can beat the existing senior player). In other words, Malaysia has no potential back up player.

Senior player already know that they are in the comfortable zone (no worries of being kick out)...there's no spirit in themself to play & struggle so hard..coz winning or not... they can live richly.

Lets see other team such as China & Indonesia..I see their player play really hard and play for themselves... there's a number of waiting list of junior player which can replace them if they r not perform well.

16. aaron_11

aaron_11 Regular Member

student
    players such as roslin, lee tsuen seng, sairul, yogen, james etc should retired n give their places to more potential young back up players such as arif, chun seang, kwong beng etc... tis young players are more energetic n more determinant then their senior players.. they have passed their supreme time n its time for our junior players to shine in international arena..

17. USAfan

USAfan Regular Member

NewsMedia
    I 'm not familiar with the junior players, maybe its high time that BAM replace some of the seniors for being complacent. What do we have to loose, I see more experience for the juniors plus the seniors are not winning anyway !!!!! Who are the juniors that we know that will give us the winning glory in the near future ??????

#37 USAfan, Aug 23, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  18. thiery

thiery Regular Member

these players are no longer in the national team.

19. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I think Rexy is fighting a loss cause. You can cancel the holidays or install additional training sessions, but if the core is rotten, it will be an uphill battle all the way.

The problem we have in Msia is mentality and the sports associations being managed by politicians and their band of yes men. Mentality wise, our players are weak. They are not professionals. They get distracted easily and are pampered.

So, I believe Rexy is fighting a losing battle. Sooner or later, he will have enough and will pack it in. A top notch coach like Rexy can do wonders in S Korea, Japan, England.

20. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    So, Pemuda, any good ideas on how to deal with this then? I don't believe in sitting down and doing nothing either.