New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Fzforze

Fzforze Regular Member

Chef
    MX80 review

Just picked up this racket today from centralsports.co.uk amazing service
    3U, G3, BG80 23 lbs, Karakal PU super grip
    My main racket before this was the Arcsaber Z slash
    When it arrived i gave it a few shadow swings comparing it to the Z slash and the MX80 felt more crisp had a higher pitched sound as it went through the air which i was suprised as i thought it would of been the Z slash that has a more aerodynamic frame thus creating a high picted crisp sound.

Spent 4 hours playing with my friend we are both intermediate ranked county players. During the warm up just the first few rallys into the warm up i off timed most of my shots specially on the smashes could feel a big difference as there was no flex to help me out like the Z Slash but saying that the smashes did seem to be faster just not as steep but that improved near the end of the session.

During the matches i was getting more use to the timing of the shots and i was winning quite alot of rallys from smashes. The racket it also very good when comming foward to finish a poor lift or block fast and responsive. Compared to the Z slash i found the MX80 to be more accurate on shot placement especially drop shots they came really easily.

The only thing i can think of that i can say as a disadvantage is that the i need to put more effort into smashes as i was not use to a racket of that degree of stiffness but the demanding racket was easily adapted to and i preformed some devastating smashes. Drives where also effortless the MX80 felt really fast and responsive when playing them. When i switched back to the Z slash during half way through a match just to compare the rackets it felt really effortless to smash with the Z slash but no matter how hard i smashed with it the opponent said that the MX80 still had a faster smash.
    During the last hour and 20 mins of the session i put the MX80 though its paces and did a routine where i could only play the smash down the middle of the court and my opponent would defend and could only lift or block anywhere on the court (i use this to help train for doubles) and from what people are saying about the MX80 causing vibrations and making your arm ache didnt really have an effect on me. Smashes where consistent and i could keep going for 10+ smashes till i closed in and the defender made an error. Over all i would say that the MX80 is on the same level or better then then Z slash, i never thought i would find a better racket in terms of power then the Z slash but i think i have found it, this racket is going to be a keeper :)

_____________Z Slash_______MX80

Drop shots ____8.5/10________ 9.5/10

Defence ______8.5/10________ 9.2/10

Smashes _____ 9.3/10________ 9.6/10

Net shots _____8.5/10 ________9.0/10

Drives ________9.2/10________ 9.5/10

Clears _______ 9.5/10 ________ 9.3/10

2. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

nice review. thanks for sharing :D

i assume you play singles but it would be nice if you'd mention whether you play singles or doubles though :p

3. Fzforze

Fzforze Regular Member

Chef
    Nah i mainly play doubles, its just when i play on weekends with my friend its hard to play doubles with 2 people. We play full court singles sometimes but we prefer to play half court singles or routines that can be used to help us in doubles, like the smashing routine i mentioned. ^^

4. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

Can someone kindly provide some comparison between yonex arc 8dx and victor mx80? in terms of smashing, swing speed, stiffness, defence, net shot, and drop shot...

5. shaz`

shaz` Regular Member

Had my MX80 for a few weeks now, can honestly say the thing is an absolute weapon. Bought it strung with BG80 @ 28lbs and it took a few sessions to get used to, but once I did everything felt easy, smashes were effortless, drives were solid, clears were accurate, net play was quick thanks to the racket speed. This racket is more about timing and technique than actual raw swing power. Once you get the timing down, it makes using this racket a breeze.

Unfortunately broke the BG80, not due to a mishit as the strings broke bang in the center of the racket, which is good in that I know that I'm hitting the sweet spot consistently.

Just had it restrung with my trusty BG65 @ 28lbs and it feels a bit 'off' ... though it may take a few games to get the string to bed in so we'll see after a few more sessions and I'll report back.

All in all, what a monster racket!

Not sure why people find it demanding to use and need a more flexible racket as a backup, once you get through the initial getting used to period the racket is relatively easy to use.

I'm coming from a NS9000 so quite a different racket, but I've been looking for something similar to my old Ti-10 for some time now and this is about as close as I've found!

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well if you're used to the 9000X, it's no surprise you like the MX80 - and you might be a bit too advanced to judge accurately how easy rackets are to use ;) If you handle the MX80 with a 28lbs BG80 effortlessly, your technique and timing are very probably above average. While I can handle it fine, I notice I have to put more conscious effort into smashes, not power, but speed. And that's exactly what makes this racket so hard on me - I get back problems routinely, and faster motions are the cause (actually the stopping of a fast forehand swing). Which means I have to get 3 instead of 2 treatments per year.

7. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    You are right, the MX80 is a great piece of kit. If my rotator cuff wasn't on fire for days after a heavy session I'd use it without giving it a second thought, but sadly that's just not my reality.

8. shaz`

shaz` Regular Member

Possibly, tho rackets do take some time to get used to. First time I used the mx-80 my timing was WAY off, but the few shots I hit crisp I could feel the power from them. After maybe an hour or 2 of playing I was used to it and ... BOOM!

I think if you have a strong wrist this racket will suit a lot more, as that's where you can generate a lot of swing speed without straining too much, rather than trying to swing your arm as hard as possible and end up straining something. Though, with this racket, timing is everything I feel. If you can get that, it makes it SO much easier to use.

You may be trying to swing TOO hard? Or trying to twist your back (rotation) too much to generate that extra bit of power/speed? Work on wrist power and speed I'd say. Maybe easier said than done, as I use my wrist a lot in my style of play, and this helps deception and swing speed... but it takes time to build this strength up... it's mostly forearm I guess?

9. shaz`

shaz` Regular Member

I can see why that would be an issue! Screw the rotator cuff! THIS WEAPON NEEDS UNLEASHED!

10. shaz`

shaz` Regular Member

j4ckie, I replied to your post aswell but need to wait for a moderator to approve it!

Damn being a noob on here. Lost my old account from years ago :(

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm fine using it, but the most of my speed&power comes from rotation. And the stopping of the pronation is what causes problems, as I get a high speed, but my back muscles struggle to stop the motion...the only thing I can do about it is build up my strength, but so far, it only helped delaying the next treatment. And because I'm still improving a lot and have the ambition to play higher I train 3-4 times a week, which doesn't help...anyhow, for now I've decided to go back to more flexible rackets as they're a little easier on the body and I really don't like the feel of lower tensions (which would be the other option).

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Curse Victor for not putting small handles on their top-end rackets - my kingdom for a G5 or G6 Meteor 80!

13. shaz`

shaz` Regular Member

You should follow through with your swing, rather than try to force the stop. Let your arm swing flow more. If you are taking a big swing, chances are you can follow through without the worry of the shuttle coming straight back at you, this will let your shots flow better rather than 'forcing' it all the time.

If you do this you'll probably find your shots will be a lot more consistent, or that is the theory!

Big fast swing will generally mean punch clears, smash etc.

When you need racket speed and short movements are the mid court drives etc in doubles, but there you don't need big swings, that's all wrist movement/power.

Rather than looking at the racket as a source of your pain, I think it's better in the long term to look at the technique and whats causing the back pain, rather than going for a racket that compensates for anything that's straining your body adversely.

If you do this, your game will improve a heck of a lot also! ;)

Sorry if i come across as preaching, just trying to give helpful advice on what I do and find useful!

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Curse Victor UK/Europe instead! There's tons of G5 in Asia. :D

Hmmm, what's included in your kingdom if I send you a G5 MX80? :p

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

In fact, they seem to have only G2....at least when I ordered mine, they didn't have any 3UG3. Which means I have two of them and don't use'em...*winkwink*

16. Brale90

Brale90 Regular Member

Student
    I still have problems with the stiffness of the x80 one @28lbs other @26lbs
    On good days i can hit powerfull smashes, but still problems with backhand-clear.
    On bad days i cant get any power out of mx80
    I didnt have problems with ns 9900 @ same tension.

Next two days i can test z-slash and n90...

17. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    That's because the MX80 is uber stiff and has 80 holes instead of 74(?) or so. I normally run 25-26lbs but with the MX80 I found that with the same string 24lbs was better. I also preferred it 2-3g lighter than I'd normally run, and the combo of those two specs for me is sweet.

Every racket is different and you need to adjust accordingly.

18. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

since you know your rotator cuff is prone to injury/fatigue, have you tried to improve its flexibily on top of you rehab?

try youtube-ing the "no money" exercise with rubber tubing and shoulder "stick-ups". works wonders for my shoulders :D

19. Fukudadude

Fukudadude Regular Member

So guys, you need to have a hell of a swing-speed to handle the MX80? Same with the MX70?

20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Not sure if you need that much of a swing speed, but it is quite a stiff racket, if you are used to stiff rackets, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem.:)