Head Metallix Badminton Racquets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by black_knight006, Feb 15, 2007.

1. burr_ger

burr_ger Regular Member

For those who are thinking of buying a Metallix 10k its reduced to £40 at sweatband.com. Ive ordered one myself, has anyone got any views on it? Also is it worth buying the tour version?

2. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Regular Member

Bum
    40 quid is a cracking deal. To be honest I have no idea what the difference is between the Tour and regular versions is.

It looks to me like as you go up the range, they get more head-light and stiffer.

Even for the Tour versions, they're still incredible value from sweatband.com. I paid AUD160 for my M8k tour and it's AUD115 from sweatband.

3. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I believe that the tour versions have a thinner head between the 11 and 1 oclock positions to lower air resistance.
    I have recently ordered 2 M8Ks, I didn't want the Tours cos I always break rackets at 11 and 1 oclock positions.

4. Noobiee

Noobiee Regular Member

do they ship outside uk? what's the grip size of the M10k?

#124 Noobiee, Apr 13, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  5. weinsteinium

weinsteinium Regular Member

Nope, I asked them about that already :(

Btw, Amazon is still selling the Metallix 6K, 8K and 10K Tours at good prices: US$50, US$63, US$85. Those are the cheapest prices I've seen for the Tours but someone mentioned that international shipping to Asia was quite expensive.

#125 weinsteinium, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  6. parmar88

parmar88 Regular Member

Accountant
    Hey thanks.

Yeah I need to get a heavy badminton racquet that will train my wrist.
    Sometimes I use my brother's tennis racquet for training - it really does work.

How did you get on with the M4K? I've never used a Head badminton racquet before.

7. pablo285

pablo285 Regular Member

I had to get my Metallix 2k through a friend who lives in the UK, otherwise I'd have to pay at least twice as much for it here in Slovakia. Maybe you could get someone who you know there to get it and send it to you. As for the grip size:

Head grip sizing (in inches):
    G0 (3 1/8)
    G1 (3 2/8) - the 'Euro Grip size' at sweatband.com
    G2 (3 3/8)
    G3 (3 4/8)

Anyway, I had my first chance to play with the Metallix 2000 that I ordered and I really liked the racket. I'm only a beginner so I won't tell you how good was it for smashing, clearing, dropping or anything else because I really suck at every aspect of the game and no racket can help that. ;) But I really liked the response of the racket, it did everything that I expected, I had a good control with it, playing with it was quite effortless. I liked its weight and balance, moving it around was quite easy and after two hours of play my elbow and shoulder didn't hurt at all. :)

The only thing I don't like about it is the white grip. The grip itself feels good in my hand but after only one game some grey spots from sweat and dirt can be seen and I believe it's gonna look really ugly after a few more games. Since replacement grips and overgrips are really easy to get, I don't see this as a big problem though.

Overall I am really happy with the racket and I can recommend it for beginners like me...especially for the price at sweatband.com. And you even get a full racket cover with it. :p I'll see how it works as I (hopefully) advance in my game. :)

#127 pablo285, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  8. Wagtail

Wagtail Regular Member

Student
    Hi, I just bought the Metallix Genesis, it was cheap in the first shop I looked in and felt nice.
    Just wondering if anyone knows where abouts in the range the Genesis comes in??

I haven't played properly with it yet, just messed around with some friends, but it feels great, even balance as far as I can tell and i have alot more power in smashes. I just hope it will work when I start to use it properly.

9. ruby00

ruby00 New Member

teacher
    Problems with a large order of Head Metallix 2000

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. I just bought 20 Head Metallix 2000 raquets for my highschool team. The price point was about $35 canadian which I thought was a great deal. This is the first time the school has put some money toward the team we usually get the cheap $15 racquets so I was really excited and so were the kids. Out of the 20 racquets I bought the strings were broken on one before we even played with it and 3 other racquet strings broke within the first 30 minutes of play time. Is this a common problem? Becuase I have never had so many racquet strings break (with the cheaper ones maybe 2 or 3 racquets over 2-3 years). I am worried that I bought a bad set of racquets or that the Head Metallix 2000 is not a good racquet? Any advice?

thanks

10. jincongz

jincongz Regular Member

Maybe because it's tensioned at higher than what schools usually use. People who bother playing, a.k.a. people who spend more than $20 on a racquet, actually care for their racquets. Therefore, those strings are at a higher tension. Dollar store racquets have no point in restringing (it's cheaper to buy new), so they use really durable strings at low tension.
    Just a guess.

11. ruby00

ruby00 New Member

teacher
    I myself have a Yonnex that I paid about $75 for a couple years back and I have not had any issues with the string breaking. I guess that is why I am worried about the set I bought.

12. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

did you leave the strings on the rackets the students use after they break them?
    because then the rackets will warp, and that's a waste of 35 dollars.

13. ruby00

ruby00 New Member

teacher
    Strings are still on

I did. It just happened this week and I am taking them back to the store to exchange the racquets for new ones on Monday. I just don't know if I should ask to purchase a different set of racquets instead. Would there be something better that is durable and light weight? Or do you think I just got a few bad racquets?

14. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Regular Member

Bum
    It's not a good call to write-off a brand because you buy a bunch of the cheaper ones and some are not up to scratch. If one had broken strings prior to it even being used, that says to me they were either packed and/or shipped badly, and your dissatisfaction should probably be directed at the people who sold them to you.

A decent supplier would not let sub standard goods go out the door.

I'd suggest getting them replaced and see how you go. If the problem persists then get your money back and try something else.

15. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

the head metallix rackets are quite good. don't write them off too fast. If you can claim warranty, good for you. however, in the future, after strings pop during play, cut them and get them restrung by someone after. it is not the store fault if the Met-strings pop..

16. hduong

hduong Regular Member

Just picked up a Metallix 4000 and it's a great racket for the $80 cnd I paid. Good balance of control and power. The feel is verygood as well. This is using the factory strings at ~22lbs. For comparison, I have a Yonex AT 500 and ArcSaber 7 tension of 23lbs and play mostly doubles. You can't really go wrong with the the Metallix series for the prices being posted in this thread.

17. edwinlcw

edwinlcw Regular Member

I got my Head Metallix 8000 tour last week at around RM300 and only got chance to play with it today. I strung it with bb66 at 26lbs. Baseline clear is easy than my old racquet (RSL FirePower), smashes is powerful, net play is good, and accuracy is good too. I didn't make any miss hit by using this racquet.
    Personally i owned a YY Nanospeed 9.9k, is a nice racquet but not an easy racquet to use if compare to Metallix 8000 tour as i need more power to clear the shuttle from baseline and smashes due to the stiffness of the racquet.
    Conclusion, I like the Metallix 8000 tour more which costs lesser than YY Nanospeed 9.9k.

#137 edwinlcw, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  18. parmar88

parmar88 Regular Member

Accountant
    I second edwinlcw's verdict of the metallix 8000 tour. It's an excellent racket and it really surprised me with its performance. The price is decent and you will definitely get the standard of the £80+ Yonex rackets in the price you pay for HEAD rackets. The grip is great too, not too far off from the performance of the Karakal PU SuperGrip.

I really recommend HEAD rackets to anyone looking to upgrade to a more competitive game play, technique and performance.

I attend 3 badminton clubs and there are increasing numbers of players who have tested this racket and are ready to get one themselves!

19. Noobiee

Noobiee Regular Member

where to get head racket in malaysia?

20. edwinlcw

edwinlcw Regular Member

AJ Puchong has it, but I got it from the distributor...