Li Ning Racket Reviews

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Blurry D, May 12, 2009.

1. Smashyvy

Smashyvy New Member

Confused N50/N50II/N55/N90II ... or?

Hi everybody,

this is my 1st thread here.
    I've read all the reviews several times and at the end I'm very confused. :eek:
    I'm looking for a new racket - my old one is a Yonex AT500, stiff and head heavy (which I haven't really noticed because I'm so used to it :cool:)
    Sometimes I play singles as well, but mostly I play doubles - offensively but of course here it is also included net play.
    Now I'm looking for a stiff and slightly head heavy (or maybe balanced, I don't know - maybe faster) racket. Although I first also watched the Brave Sword 10, I decided that it really should be a Li-Ning :D.
    But which one I should try? Maybe I could be disappointed, if I try a less powerfull racket. I'm a bit scared, if the N50II is too flexible or heavy? I could get this for a good price. I've nothing read about the N30 (ok the colour - wouldn't be my favourite)... but?

Thanks for your advice!

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, the AT500 isn't really stiff, but if you like a head-heavy or balanced racket suited for doubles, you'll want to try N50, N50II, N90II.
    So, as you didn't write all too much about your style of play, you'll have to decide yourself:

N50II (~90g, BP295mm)is the most powerful of the three, being the most flexible as well. Abt. as stiff as my Z-Slash - Yonex and Li Ning ratings of stiffness are different. Medium LN rackets are all stiffer than medium Yonex in my experience.

N50 (~88g, BP290) is the fastest around the net, not lacking power, but being more controlled than the N50II and more suited for defense&drives.

N90II (~85g, BP 305-310) is the hardest to master as it's very stiff. That also means it's very controlled, great touch from anywhere on the court. To get a powerful smash, you'll need good technique and a fast, powerful swing - it might take some getting used to, coming from the AT500.

As you mentioned the N55: it feels basically like a lighter N50II. It's slightly stiffer, a bit lighter, and has a higher BP. Playing with it, it felt like a 2g lighter N50II - to get a better feeling for the difference, I'd need to play at least 4 hours with it.

To wrap it up: all of the above are usable in doubles, and all are incredible rackets if they suit you. You'll probably be the happiest if you just try them all out, there are a lot of badminton shops offering testing rackets, e.g. http://bts-sportshop.de/index.php? - just mail or call him about testing the mentioned LN rackets. If you live in northern Germany, delivery will be fast.
    Obviously, we cant predict which racket will be best for you. I can just say I prefer the N50II, and use it in singles sometimes as well, although I favor the N70 there. It's also worth a try in doubles, btw :D

3. Smashyvy

Smashyvy New Member

Thanks for your response! Maybe I was lucky with my AT500, compared with lots of other, it really is what Yonex calls stiff - but not extra stiff :) I would be pleased, if what Li-Ning calls medium, is comparable. Thanks also for mentioning the weight of the N50II and N90II, because they aren't listed in the chart.
    Despite of its colour I'm also a bit curious about the non-mentioned N30. Mmh, on one side it is called "Flex:med" (like (N50+N55 etc) in the catalogue and on another they write it is flexible. Sometimes I can't understand, what's meant with "flex:med"
    Yes you're right, I should try out - but first I want to limit the rackets, which can anyway be a possibility.
    I know BTS - there I've bought the AT500 then :)

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

As I haven't ever seen or touched the N30, I can't say anything about it :D "flex:med" means the flexibility of the shaft is medium. I'd guess it's a flexible racket, as it's designed for women, who normally prefer more flexible rackets (easier to generate power). 'medium' is the most popular stiffness rating, there can be huge differences between to rackets with medium flex. :/
    Hm. You already know bts....any chance you're from Hannover?^^

5. alphapeta

alphapeta Regular Member

Designer/Typographer
    Hello. I was just discussing Li—Ning with an owner of a well-known sports store who happens to know the owner of the factory in China who produce Li—Ning rackets. The same factory make Monsoon and Fleet rackets from exactly the same materials and technology apparently. I'm told four years ago these same Li—Ning rackets were retailing for £40 in mainland China before they started their attempted tour of global domination/huge advertising campaign/were sponsored by Chinese Government/Sponsored the Chinese squad. Interesting stuff.

6. Smashyvy

Smashyvy New Member

Mmh - Nope. ;-) I'm from Frankfurt - I can't really remember, but I think I've found this shop by google. Today I've also asked a member of my team... anyway my selection of maybe-rackets gets smaller. N50 vs. N50II. I also think that the N30 might be too flexible for me - and by the way it is rather too pinky to suit me :) If it depended on the colour, I would take the N50II. I have to try them out, I think. I'm very curious.

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, let us know about your decision and how the racket performs for you. The N50II might initially a bit easier to adapt to as it's the head heavier of the two and thus closer to the AT500. Hope you'll be pleased with LN =)

8. justinpops

justinpops Regular Member

Sales Manager
    Anyone can compare v70 to any similar li ning's?

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hm, it's really a bit more flexible than the N-series rackets, but it should be pretty similar to the N70. As I've only played the 4U V70, I can't make direct comparisons, but the flex and head load are similar. N70 feels much better though - more solid (that might just be the weight), more control, more power. N50II is also similar, but with less head weight (=>faster). It's also more powerful&controlled - which is kinda weird 'cause my V70 is light and strung tightly, so one would assume it was the most controlled of the 3.
    I would guess the BP300B is similar as well (medium flex, BP@300), but I've not had a chance to play with that yet, so it's only a vague guess. Perhaps someone who used it can clarify? :D It's also one of the rackets I'm pretty interested in right now - just behind the N70II...

10. justinpops

justinpops Regular Member

Sales Manager
    I play a 4u v70 as well. Love it. Just that i have a chance to get a gift from someone in China. So Li ning is definitely on the list. Thanks for the tips. Most likely will get the n50II then. Any comments on the n55 or n77?

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The N77, I only tested for a short 30 minutes. It's the racket with the lowest BP in the N series, with a medium flex. Pretty easy to use, reminded me a bit of the Babolat X-Feel Essential.
    I had a chance to test the N55 for a longer time, and it felt very nice. I only played in singles, but it felt very similar to the N50II, maybe a bit lighter and a tad stiffer. Also, a very 'friendly' racket to use - easy to adapt to, forgiving with slightly off-center hits. Would be my 1st choice if I had to buy (another) backup singles racket (currently preferring the N70 over the N50II).
    Seeing as you have the 4U version, you might like the N55 better than the N50II as its lighter. The N70 is pretty close in flexibility, but noticeably heavier and more powerful as a result, and the N90 is just a whole other type of racket :D

12. MusclePower100

MusclePower100 Regular Member

13. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

Pretty sure there's no S type of either the N90-II or the N50-II, most likely it's a typo or some kind... unless there was a N50-II limited edition out there somewhere? Since type S might mean standard since N90-II had a limited edition so I can see them putting the S but I'm pretty sure there was no N50 special edition....

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I cant read a word of Chinese, so I cant even guess what's written there, but the N90II S-Type picture shows a completely different-looking racket. The others are all pics of the standard N90II.
    The N50II S-Type looks like a normal N50II to me - perhaps someone reading Chinese could check if there is any hint why this should be different from the normal racket....it's got the new logo on the cap, but that's also standard for the recently produced rackets. Only old (German) rackets still have the old one =_=

15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Someone asked here as well: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?93953-Hey
    There is mention of it on the badmintoncn forum but not 100% sure what the translator is trying to tell us :p. First impression was that they are supposedly lighter versions ...

http://bbs.badmintoncn.com/viewthread.php?tid=160216

And here are mentions of Asian Games edition or to introduce the new logo with these two models initially: http://bbs.badmintoncn.com/viewthread.php?tid=169413

Anyhoo will get some with old logo this week :). Should be quite the collector's items in a few years/decades :p. Even shorter period than old logo Yonex ;).

#555 demolidor, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  16. ikcud

ikcud Regular Member

student
    My n50 has finally came to me =3. All I can say is that it's defintely giving me a smile more in my defensive plays compared the the yonex arc z =]. I'll most likely let my others yonex racket go also and get a few more... I'm jumping aboard the lining club haha. Just wondering the differences between the s2 compared to the first one thank you.

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

If you refer to the S2 on the cap, it's the grip size. Li Ning chose 'S' for grip size and 'W' for weight...

18. ikcud

ikcud Regular Member

student
    I meant as in the SII as in the 2nd series to the n50. I just wanted to know the compared differences to the first series one which I have =]

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Ah. Well, the N50II is head heavier than the N50: according to Li Ning, the BP is 5mm higher. There are also some changes to material and technology, but the most noticeable in play will be the different balance. N50II feels much more powerful, the smashes will be harder, but at the net, I can sometimes feel the head drag behind a bit. N50 is a bit faster=>superior in that area.
    I like to use both in doubles, and currently use the N50II and N70 in singles. From all the Li Ning rackets I've tried, the N50II is probably the 3rd easiest to use, after N77 and N70.

20. ieim_17

ieim_17 Regular Member

Student
    How about N70-II? how does it compare with N70 and other rackets as well?