Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well Staffel is a different term - at the lower levels, there are several of them although all are the same league (2 Staffeln of the Bezirksliga, for example).

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yes I was just making clear to those who read the Google translated version that it was wrongly translated as "Season" (by Google translate) [​IMG].

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thank you. Yeah, Google uses the TV term as that is more common.

4. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    @drew tze en

Decent playing! I'm not going to go into detail on specific issues but the main thing (for the both of you actually) is that you frame or mishit a lot of shots. In addition, most of the points earned during the video are through careless errors and hitting shots out. Work on consistency and spend a lot more time warming up on clears, drives, drops, the whole thing. I also would suggest that you don't go for the full jump smash yet until you develop the other areas of your game to match your smash.

5. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

J
    Thanks for the comment I'm not going to make any excuse about how I play that day But when I have time to record another video you probably see the contrast of how I play

6. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

Wow, looking at that video, you've improved a lot.

7. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Haha I can show you 1 last year but I played really badly

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

U22 MS final of today's C level ranking tournament. These are tournaments where you gather points similarly to international competition - only regional. Despite my lack of sleep and the fact I got a bit drunk the night before a decent match - although both of us show that we breezed through to this match without problems. Stupid errors on both sides, and the pace wasn't really at our max. But we had fun (or at least I did :D) and that's what counts^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWVKNC1vbgI

9. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    Haha. Just noticed how you are spinning your racket around in your hand after each shot. I'm going the same thing. No idea why, it's like my hand is having a life of it's own. :p

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah I gotta stop doing that - already cost me dearly once in a MD match in training. The opponent got to the shuttle faster than I expected, drove it to me and I got tangled up and ended up hitting the shuttle with the frame - because I held it at a 90° angle :D

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

That's right j4ckie, if you miss the shuttle completely while putting in a full swing, just look up and blame the lights :p:p:p

Any idea if playing while slightly under the influence and Lacking sleep benefits your play ? My friend played in a tournament with me and he had went out the night before, got slightly drunk and returned at 3am, and went on to win the Singles event.:p seemed to play better than ive ever seen him, and beat me in 3 games (although at the time he was better than me, but I can beat him now lol:p)

12. visor

visor Regular Member

^^^ That's called the "drunken style" of badminton a la Jackie Chan. :p :D

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well there were extremely bright neon lights and although they were small (and thus amongst the nicer lights I've had so far^^), that particular shuttle was dropping down just in one of them. I saw a bright spot for the next 2 rallies!

Anyhow, I was not under the influence - I had to get up early and drive there, so I had only had 3 Mojitos the night before. Additionally, it was the last of the day for us and was played around 3pm (I had been home at 1:10am, and managed to fall asleep around 2:25).
    The lack of sleep was very noticeable in earlier matches (I let my first opponent get to a 11:10 lead before deciding 3 games were even worse than putting some effort in and won 21:14, 21:9), but in this one, the lack of proper warm-up (we did not have any idea when we'd play) slowed me down more than that. Actually I had some weird pain/hot feeling on my spine in the beginning, which is why I hold my back after some rallies, but it went away after a few minutes. Might be because of the destroyed dampening in my right shoe :/
    Anyhow, I think if you are drunk, the alcohol has a calming influence - which can be helpful for some. I discovered being too tired to get angry over errors improved mental stability and decision-making, but the side effect was that I couldn't seem to will myself to move quickly when I had to. I really played this tournament for fun and because it was my last U22 - next year, I'll be too old for those. Too bad, because with the next few I would've gotten enough points to qualify for A ranked ones :/

@visor: Stumbling around did not help confusing the opponents....it's less effective in badminton than in kung-fu :D

14. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Good singles, in particular I really liked your half smash at 7:32 off his short and low attacking clear. A lot of people can't get enough pronation fast enough to get half smashes that powerful. You had a lot of mistakes but you already explained that haha. Very enjoyable to watch you play as always =).

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks a lot - I don't think any of my smashes are particularly powerful, but I try :D Pronation is pretty much the only thing about my smash I'm okay with, all other aspect need improving. But I'm working on that :)

16. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    Hope you're working on consistency because it looked like you just gave that match to your opponent. Consistency is often the difference between a win or loss at your level.

17. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    so.. which one is you? (assume the white shirt?)

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yep, I sometimes forget to mention that. Although with the number of videos I've posted, some should recognize me by now :D

19. Tomus

Tomus Regular Member

Me at regional tournament

So this is me... angle is a bit unfortunate, because you can't see the whole court, but the quality I hope is OK.

It's the first game of semi-final match I didn't expected to win, but have won ;-)

[video=youtube;03YcTDMzWok]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03YcTDMzWok[/video]

20. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    Tomus,
    you totally should win that game.
    good consistency, good court coverage, and no dumb (lazy) shots.
    technique looks stiff and your forecourt movement looks like a mix of badminton and tennis footwork (or some other sport).