for those who are starting badminton...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Jan 10, 2005.

1. gatgeo Toribio

gatgeo Toribio Regular Member

Engineer(Civil)
    we have many videos of badminton for biginners here in the philippines available in our video shops and also MVP CUP 2005 FEATURING "TAUFIK HIDAYAT VS. bOESEN,ROBERTSON/EMMS VS. ASSUNCION SIBLINGS OF PHIL. IT IS GOOD AND YOU CAN LEARN A LOT BY SLOWING THE MOTION OF THE GAME

2. yumaoqiu

yumaoqiu New Member

Good Advices!espencialy

3. yumaoqiu

yumaoqiu New Member

Good Advices!espencialy for beginner!

4. ouijaouija

ouijaouija Regular Member

5. fuzzywuzzy

fuzzywuzzy Regular Member

Underage
    yeah... i am kinda new and I find this stuff all really good stuff for me to work on. Thanks everyone.

On another note, I find a lot of people look down on badminton as a sport where all you do is stand around and hit a bird back and forth. I find it quite humourous when they go and get training, and find out how complex it is and about all the different aspects you have to master.

(Don't know if this is the right place to post this)

6. adrian.sutikna

adrian.sutikna Regular Member

Sales Engineer
    I agree with all of this post...
    but I have one opinion that is left behind in this thread...
    Serve...
    Serve is one of one of the basic that has to be mastered...
    If we dont serve well, the more easier our opponent get the point...
    Trust me...go to hundreds even thousands serve practice to reach perfection...
    The most common serve is long and short serves...
    The criteria ... Perfect long serve is a high and long serves,done by a forehand serve, it's very effective to use in a single match ... you must reach the maximum height,and to the very corner of the court ... if you hit the ball high...the ball will dove down sharply make it very hard for the opponent to launch an attack ...
    The other one is short serve, very effective during double match...It's commonly done by backhand serve, the criteria for this serve is, the height must be as narrow as possible to the net edge...
    the placement is as short as possible from the inner baseline...If you already good at it...you maybe try to aim it to the inner baseline corner to make it as difficult as possible for the opponent to launch an attack...
    The serve technique must be perfected to win a match, cause it's a crucial one...it wouldnt matter if you have good smash...good stroke, good footwork...but lousy server..you wont score...
    Keep on practicing...

7. rwg05

rwg05 Regular Member

yeah, you wouldn't like to lose a point before starting a rally!:D

8. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I dont spend alot of time coaching beginners how to serve. An yes of course the serve is "the most important shot to do well", however every rally begins with a serve so this shot naturally gets practiced more than others. Theres plenty of time later to tweak the serve. More time needs to be spent in learning all the other shots. Unlike the serve all the other shots involve footwork and a variety of bodily skill. The other shots in my opinion take longer to learn to do well and must form the basis of the coaching sessions.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Practice makes permanent. If beginners have a poor understanding of service technique and tactical application, then their practice will be of dubious benefit.

For that reason, I like to deal with the service early on in coaching. You don't need to spend much time on it, but it makes sense to teach it early. It's nearly always the first thing I teach, along with warm-up and cool-down ideas.

Do it once, get it right, then move on to something else.

10. adrian.sutikna

Sales Engineer
    I have one more thing that i think must be mastered by beginners..it is about the right grip to the racket..
    It is also very immportant things to start..request the right grip from your trainer...

11. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i wish i could. i want a coach but not many coaches in ipoh wants to coach a woman who's not really trying to be the world champion. i just want to play properly with the right technique. but as i said, a coach is hard to come by. and some are just too expensive. so i am relegated to learning through videos found here and elsewhere on the internet. and i tell you, it is hard to learn from a video. :(

12. adrian.sutikna

Sales Engineer
    im very sorry to hear that...
    but one question is...where is Ipoh??
    Sorry to say but i never heard of your country before

13. Sze Huang

Sze Huang Regular Member

Unemployed
    @ adrian.sutikna
    Ipoh is a town in the state of Perak , and Perak lies in Malaysia. ;)

I learn alot from this guide here ! Thanks and cheers ! :D

14. UserBlade

UserBlade Regular Member

High School
    I play for Santa Rosa High school in California and I am ranked #9 out of 20 on the team and I recently bought a $50 carlton power blade racquet would that be considered to advanced of a racquet for me?

15. onzki

onzki New Member

Badminton Beginner

hi there.. im new in this forum, and in badminton as well. Do you know where to find (on internet) badminton resources for beginners showing pictures or videos of reminders qouted above and other helpful resources for beginners like me?

thanks!:)

16. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    1. Youtube. Nuff said.
    2. There are downloadable videos here. Do a search for Zhao Jianhua, Peter Gade, Peter Rasmussen, and Lee Jae Bok.
    3. Butch Oreta and Vip Malixi have published an instructional book. It's available at National Bookstore.

17. andrewlimch

andrewlimch New Member

Engineer
    I've only been playing badminton for a year, about twice a week, just as a recreation.

However, I'm really loving it despite losing all the time. I think it;s about time for me to bring my game to the next level. Anyone knows a good coach in Surrey, south east England? I think something is wrong with my grip/strokes as I cannot consistently hit the shuttle despite getting there early.

I have watched Zhao Jian Hua's video, to no avail, and I need someone professional to point out my mistakes to me.

If its of any help, I'm using an old Yonex Carbonex 9 SP racket that's about a hundred years old. Lol.

#57 andrewlimch, Oct 8, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  18. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    if i may just addon

FOCUS ON:

- focus on the correct grip - read the grip guide in BC
    - focus on the correct stroke:)Dnote full body balance)- ask a coach to show you.
    - focus on footwork :)Dnote full body balance)
    - focus on fitness - jog/swim/bike - or do footwork drills

keep this update people!

19. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Another tip:

Best way to learn is to practice, not read forums.

20. newkid

newkid New Member

consultant
    beginning

Read the tips for beginners. Great education.

Have started badminton for health and exercise purposes. Really fun and great sport to watch.:)

I started the game with my wife and we basically are worst than novices - no formal lessons and such. But we enjoy it so much we do an hour everyday in the morning at a nearby public park area - outside:p

Can someone pls give me advice on the following points.
    For beginning beginners:eek:what is a good racket without looking like a complete nerd and buying a racket just by the price? I am planning to buy a Yonex for the name value and cause I see so many tournaments with great players using them!

Second, I used to play tennis and got up to a low B club level. How much of a similarity is there is racket grips with tennis and badminiton - or is it totally different?:confused:Thks for any advice and comments. newkid