Alternative photos

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by red00ecstrat, Aug 21, 2006.

1. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    it's my favourite too! u know, i can eat a whole box of it within 10 minutes!

2. chehsi

chehsi Regular Member

Administrative
    whoa! in just 10 mins? That's crazy! You gotta take part in the fastest Ferrero Rocher popping contest if there's any.. :p

3. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Ahh..that's pretty cool.

4. budiraha

budiraha Regular Member

Quite a personality!!

Hope you can see the picture:

[​IMG]

5. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Richmond, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
    no, i cant see this pic :-(... i think you will have to re-upload.

6. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    Some interesting archery pictures

Is that pair of eyeglasses FITA approved?
    [​IMG]

A strange anchoring.
    [​IMG]

A decorated quiver. It has just reminded me Fu Heifeng's badminton bag!
    [​IMG]

Nice nails!
    [​IMG]

Unusual follow through.
    [​IMG]

I wanna do that there too!
    [​IMG]

A muddy range
    [​IMG]

That's artistic! But I m still figuring out what the background was!
    [​IMG]

#486 red00ecstrat, Oct 29, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  7. chehsi

chehsi Regular Member

Administrative
    Happy Deepavali!

It's Deepavali tomorrow. Wishing everybody who's celebrating, a Happy Deepavali.

Managed to snap pics of the 'kolam' at my work place with my P & S. For those who don't know, kolam is done using coloured rice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Marky

Marky Regular Member

I don't seem to have knowledge of Deepavali or Kolam. Would you kindly describe them a bit. What are they or what are the occassions for? Thank you.

9. chehsi

chehsi Regular Member

Administrative
    Hi Marky

Found the following that will help you understand more about the festival.
    Deepavali is celebrated by Hindus from all over the world.

from http://www.ikolam.com/
    Kolam is an auspicious art of decorating courtyards and pooja rooms/prayer halls in South India drawn mainly by women and girls. Some women use rice flour to draw a kolam, which is the traditional medium to be used while others use sandstone or limestone powder. Although it is known as Rangoli commonly in many parts of India, it is known as Muggulu in Andhra pradesh, Rangavalli in Karnataka, Pookalam in Kerala, Chowkpurana in Uttar Pradesh, Madana in Rajasthan, Aripana in Bihar and Alpana in Bengal.
    Generally, a kolam is drawn with bare fingers using predetermined dots. The dots are either connected together to make a pattern or loops are drawn encircling the dots to complete a design. Nowadays there are perforated rolling tubes, perforated trays and stencils available to speed the process of making kolams. During festivals and weddings, rice flour paste is used instead of the flour. This tradition of decorating with kolams is passed on from generation to generation.

from http://allmalaysia.info
    Deepavali [SIZE=-1]
    Commonly known as the Festival of Lights, the celebration of Deepavali (or Diwali) marks the triumph of good over evil, the victory of light over dark.
    Gazetted by the Government as a one-day public holiday, it is celebrated here in Malaysia by the Hindu community - mainly consisting those of Indian ethnic origin - during the seventh month of the Hindu lunar calendar, which usually falls in either October or November.
    [​IMG]
    [SIZE=-2]Lighting up to celebrate the triumph of good over evil[/SIZE]
    And it is not called the Festival of Lights for nothing, for it is celebrated with a joyful vivacity, with bright lights and even brighter smiles, as though to underline the traditional meaning and message behind it. Even the word "Deepavali" is etymologically derived from the Sanskrit word that literally means "row of lights".
    Let there be light
    Deepavali owes its origins to the epic stories narrated in the Hindu religious scriptures.
    Perhaps the most popular origin story is recounted in the Ramayana in which Lord Rama reunites with his wife Sita following a 14-year exile, and after having killed the demon king Ravana.
    [​IMG]
    [SIZE=-2]Hindu devotees visiting燼 Sivan temple
    [/SIZE]

In the epic tale, the denizens of the kingdom of Ayodhya celebrated the prince's triumphant return to his homeland and later, his ascension to the throne, by lighting up their homes and the streets with earthen oil lamps.
    This happened on the night of the new moon and is commemorated hence, as the celebration of Deepavali. However, the story of Lord Rama's victory over Ravana is only one out of many that is said to have given rise to this annual celebration.
    One other popular tale remembered during the occasion is that of the battle between Lord Krishna and the evil asura (demon) Narakasura. Krishna emerged victorious after a long and drawn-out struggle, and his victory was celebrated with the lighting of lamps.
    Yet others believe that Deepavali marks the day when the prideful and evil Mahishasura was vanquished at the hands of the goddess Kali.
    Variations notwithstanding, these stories share a common thread; that of the removal of evil, to be replaced by that which is good.
    This sense of renewal is reflected in the way Hindus prepare themselves for Deepavali.
    Spring cleaning

In anticipation of the celebration, homes as well as their surrounding areas are cleaned from top to bottom; decorative designs such as the kolam are drawn or placed on floors and walls; and the glow of lights, whether emitted from the traditional vilakku (oil lamps fashioned out of clay) or colourful electric bulbs, brighten up the abode of both rich and poor, signalling the coming festivities.

[​IMG]
    [SIZE=-2]Bank of Commerce staff completing their kolam design[/SIZE]
    Temples are similarly spruced up with flowers and offerings of fruits and coconut milk from devotees, becoming more abundant and pronounced as the big day draws closer.
    The spring cleaning and decorating are significant for they not only symbolise renewal but also prepare for the welcoming of Devi Lakshmi, the goddess of Wealth and Prosperity, who is believed to visit homes and temples on the day. It is said she emerged from the churning ocean only days after the new moon of Deepavali.
    Besides the cleaning of homes and temples, Hindus also prepare themselves by cleansing their bodies and minds. Many among the devout fast, or observe a strict vegetarian diet, and spend hours during the preceding weeks in prayer and meditation.

Celebrating goodness

[​IMG]
    [SIZE=-2]Indian delicacies[/SIZE]
    The eve is usually spent making last-minute preparations for the next day. This is also the time when past quarrels are forgotten, and forgiveness is extended and granted.
    On Deepavali morning, many Hindu devotees awaken before sunrise for the ritual oil bath. For some it is a symbolic affair (to signify purity) while others take full oil baths to remove impurities externally, as well as tone the muscles and nerves to receive positive energies. Then it's straight to the temples where prayers are held in accordance with the ceremonial rites.
    The rest of the day is taken up by receiving guests, as is customary here in Malaysia. Most devout Hindus tend to be vegetarian, but that doesn't change the fact that Deepavali is the day to savour the many delicious Indian delicacies such as sweetmeats, rice puddings and the ever-popular murukku.
    [/SIZE]

10. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Thank you. This is very informative.

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..any additional input from our taneepak on this??..;):cool:

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Bed & Breakfast at 2000 ft, anyone??..

..(a friend of mine sent this to me)..taken in Yosemite..:eek::p:cool:

[​IMG]

13. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: that's it. that's my response to the yosemite pic. :)

14. chehsi

chehsi Regular Member

Administrative
    OMG... I probably can't breathe already... let alone eat?!:eek:

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think it's grass.

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    This is really challenging. There are more pics like this. Some have even tents! Scary dude..

17. Whoopty

Whoopty Regular Member

18. AChan

AChan Regular Member

Rehabilitation
    Halloween

Taken at Lan Kwai Fong, HK

Attached Files:

19. Whoopty

Whoopty Regular Member

20. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    it might be grass. but maybe it is something else. usually the target board is made of packed hay. well at least in malaysia they do. and the packed hay is covered with a plastic sheet. here in malaysia it is mostly light blue in colour. i think that green background is also a plastic sheet covering the packed hay. but then again, i could be wrong. :D