Lee Chong Wei Get 'datuk' Title....

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by reiko80, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    There's really no reason to get so worked up, pinkpuncheryfic ;)

And, er, I'm trying my best to figure out how a mad bull manages to insult people :rolleyes:

2. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    First of all, Singapore and Malaysia are different country with different approach, different style.

When Singapore won that silver medal (By FT from China), it's up to the Singapore Authority to recognise and show the appreciation on the hard-working of those FT that bring and give a chance for the singapore's flag rise and Singapore National Anthem to be played in Beijing Olympic Stadium. It is a great honour for Singapore and her country people for the achievement. I dont even bother abt it.It is none of my business simply because i am not Singaporean.

But when you talking abt mas, i am very concern abt it coz i am malaysian.

You claim that Datuk-ship is easy to get nowadays in malaysia. If it is like that, go and get one for yourself.

When i saying that LCW is not worth being conferred Datuk-ship, it doesnt mean that i am not appreciate what he have done for mas badminton sport and for our country. It's the matter of suitable or not.

When you are silver medalist, means that you are in 2nd place. In that final match, you are a looser. If it is like that, what to celebrate? for being a looser?

If silver medalist can get Datuk-ship, what abt being Cahmpion? Mohd. Hafiz Hashim won the ALL ENGLAND CHAMPIONSHIP in year 2003. Why he didnt get his Datuk-ship? Koo Kien Keat/ Tan Boon Heong did superbly in the year 2007. Why they are not given the title of Datuk? Yap Kim Hock/ Cheah Soon Kit also won that Silver Medalist. And Cheah Soon kit also a key player in the Thomas Cup 1992 Edition. Cheah is more suitable candidates to be given Datuk-ship than 'Datuk' LCW, if we are looking at the glory and achievements by the respective players as mention.

Please go to the library to find the old newspaper, select the old newspaper and start read from 09 March 2008 UNTIL 27 August 2008 and you will not why i am saying that LCW Datukship is a joke.

3. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Datuk-ship still has its value in Malaysia nowadays. But different race, different things. A Chinese Datuk and Indian's Datuk maybe do not have ''practical function''., and are only being chop as the rich man and force to give donation to various party. But different with a Malay Datuk, so many things and priviledges...(it might touches politics issue and race issue that are not allowed in BC)

That's why Mr. Robert Kuok (A chinese entrepreneur) denied to be conferred the Datuk title.

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

whatever it is, the DATUKSHIP had been given to lee chong wei..
    the decision is final..
    if we argue here also there will be no changes..;)
    thats it..:cool:

5. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    you're excused

I maintain that LCW should not be awarded. Reason 1. The Datukship award given was made under heavy political overtones. Reason 2. Coming second in a major event should not warrant a datukship. Reason 3. LCW's career is not over.

Not fair to compare it to Datuk Michelle Yeoh. 1. No political overtones. 2. She became a superstar worldwide, acting in many many many sucessful roles. 3. Datuk Yeoh's career is effectively over, if it is not, she is only taking roles spardically.

No one denies LCW's skill. Obviously, being the world number1 and reaching the finals of he Olympics is no mean feat. No one is taking anything away from his win. But his datukship is not justified. Datukships should not be awarded as spoils of war, more so if the award was made for obvious political reasons.

I don't get your point on the Cheah Soon Kit/Yap Kim Hock. So just because they were a doubles pair they cannot get datukship? What kind of bullsh*t is that? Doubles players don't work as hard as singles? Doubles badminton is inferior to singles badminton? A singles silver medal is not equal to a doubles silver medal?

You then talk about splitting the Datuk three ways instead of two ways. That got me cracking. Friend, do you know how many hundred Datuk titles are awarded every year? Whats wrong with giving one more Datuk?

Call Lee Datuk all you want, in my mind he is not a Datuk. I will not call him that.

But in the end, it all comes down to... I consider Datukships as worthless. I give little or no weight to Datukships. My grandfather is my Datuk. My grandmother is my Datin. My family are my Tan Sris and Tuns. The other so called Datuk, Tan Sris, Tuns, I consider with a pinch of salt, knowing how easy buying a title in Malaysia is.

Oh, and I think my brother is a bigger Datuk Wira than a certain Malaccan ex MB.

6. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    pinkpuncheryfic maybe is LCW's himself, or his bro or siblings.....

7. RevoWithin

RevoWithin Regular Member

pharmacy undergraduate
    VERY TRUE !
    no need argue la !

8. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Thread Closed??

9. CHC7576

CHC7576 Regular Member

Property Development
    Datuk Yes...But later

Chong Wei deserves to be recognised but not a Datukship at this age. A better way to reward young sportmen/sportwomen Datukship is to wait till he/she is older, perhaps when these sport personalities reach the age of 40 and above. Even Chong Wei finds it hard to respond to people calling him Datuk and humbly requested to be Chong Wei.

10. brianong

brianong Regular Member

Financial Planner
    Is this Datuk Asbullah related to the malaysian TV sport presenter Hasbullah Awang? Or ...........................:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Guess how many Datuks in the picture?

Attached Files:

12. RevoWithin

RevoWithin Regular Member

pharmacy undergraduate
    datuk has no value anymore

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hmm, so calling someone arrogant just to make yourself feeling holy than thou, how convenient and gutsy. Also, what singapore gov't awards to their citizen should have no bearing of what standard other countries should follow. I see vching and dato set a higher standard of a datuk than what award dished out by singapore gov't, what's wrong with asking for a higher, and a CONSISTENT standard than SG? I hardly say SG is a sport powerhouse so why should Malaysia has to follow SG's standard? SInce LYB earned more titles from his players than misbun and rexy, plus all of SG's coaches combined, shouldn't MAL be better served by measuring standard against china? LOLOL

To me, this is a simple issue however some of u got clouded with emotion.
    One has to distinguish between effort expended and goal achieved. LCW was awarded with money, that is enough to recognize his hard effort. However, he didn't achieved any exceptional milestone or goal, which was a gold medal, therefore, datuk title is underserving. If u think datuk title is deserving, there are many MAL athletes who have achieve equal or higher status than LCW. For ex., the deaf MD gold winners. They got zilch, nadda, didoly sqwat. Why aren't u defending these exceptional achievers?:rolleyes:
    LCW's datukship was just an exploitation of the MAL gov't, who in the end is the real benefactor of the lcw's silver medal.

you said "Your lack of appreciation of what LCW and Misbun has brought to your country appals me." Well then, by your standard, it would be appalling as well of not awarding datuk titles to those people who achieve all those boleh feats like the engineers who constructed the tallest flag, the longest pencil, the chef who cooked the biggest omelet, etc Why aren't u defending these exceptional achievers?:rolleyes:

#173 cooler, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  14. Lobeh

Lobeh Regular Member

Now it is becoming clear folks.........Pemuda is returning as Cooler!!

15. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    You Datuk, I Datuk, we all Datuk. Soon everybody will be Datuk. Then that will solve the problem :D:D:D

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    who's not datuk over there?:D
    ---------------------------------------
    In this undated picture made available Thursday, Oct. 16, 2008 by Britain's Natural History Museum, a giant stick insect named Phobaeticus chani, meaning 'Chan's megastick.' is seen. Britain's Natural History Museum says a Malaysian amateur naturalist has discovered the world's longest insect, the more than 22-inch long 'megastick.' The museum says the oversized walking stick bug was discovered by Datuk Chan Chew Lun on the Malaysian island of Borneo.
    (AP Photo/Natural History Museum/ho)

Attached Files:

17. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    datuk should wear baju melayu rite?not LCW...

18. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Hehe, you forgot abt the Datin beside the soon to be Prime Minister. And there're more Dato's than Datuks since there're more states with sultans that'll confer a Dato. So, you're from Sultanate state? :p:p:p

19. pauline

pauline Regular Member

students
    haha...not necessary,maybe he got it like how Dato Sharukhan did,by promoting M'sia.:p

20. singhzico

singhzico Regular Member

Postie
    Perfect example of multiculturalism

:):):):):):) U should not be surprised

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.