How long do your strings last?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ttktom, Oct 15, 2003.

?

how long does your string last you?

1. less than 2 weeks.

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. 2 weeks - 1 month

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. 1-2 months

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. 2-3 months

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  5. 3-6 months

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  6. more than 6 months

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. pasifik

pasifik Regular Member

enterpreneur
    I regularly play badminton 3 times a week and my string usually will last for 3 - 4 months and I use BG65 for all my rackets. Each time I play only 1 or 2 games. :D and tired...:eek:

2. vortex

vortex New Member

Hi there,

I'm an intermediate-advanced player with a Yonex NC-Tuff 9 - usually play 1hr per week, occassionally 2-3hrs per week. I'm a pretty hard hitter, enjoy smashing hard, doing slices, drop shots etc.

I have used this racket for around 1.5 years and despite some relatively negative reviews it seems to work pretty well for me and has a nice feel to it.

The trouble is I have noticed that my strings don't last beyond 2 months or so each time I string it and obviously is quite costly in the long run. I've tried "baby handling" my racket as well but I've noticed that my strings still break in around 2 months so I gave up and just play as I please.

I've tried different strings and tensions but it doesn't seem to make a difference:

BG-80 @ 25lbs
    BG-65 @ 25lbs
    BG-65Ti @ 23lbs
    BG-70 @ 21lbs

Out of the ones I've tried. the BG-80 had the best feel but it seemed to lose tension fairly quickly. BG-70 was the best overall as it seemed to retain tension pretty well until they broke. BG-65Ti was the worst at retaining tension and the feeling whilst playing was really awkward for me.

My most recent string break was one of the centre vertical strings, though a previous string break was a top vertical string on one side. Now I don't know if my strings are breaking because I consistently hit the same spot and wear the strings out or if its because of my occassional mishits.

Any one have any ideas or suggestions ?

Thanks in advance !

3. gulang1119

gulang1119 Regular Member

SAles
    I mainly use Ashaway Microlegend at 25-26lbs. And it lasts me 1.5-2 months playing 10-12 games (2 sets/game) weekly. Just recently, because there was no avail Ashaway Microlegend, I tried Finebraid (0.70mm) strung at 26lbs. and it only lasted 9 games (2 days). Now I just tried out BG-68Ti (Soft Feel) strung at 25 lbs (pre-stretched 26 lbs).

4. nutbad5981

nutbad5981 Regular Member

elementary grade tutor
    My first BG-65 lasted for more than 6 months @ 24x24. My second BG-65 still intact. A BG-85 (hard feel) @ 26x26 lasted about 10 minutes in a play as well as zymax 62 @ 24x24.
    Anyone knows how to make thinner strings durable when stringing?
    I love attacking play.
    I love the feel of the Zymax 62 but it's not durable. BG-85 is expensive.
    Or i should choose soft feel strings rather than hard fell + repulsion? tnx a lot

5. nutbad5981

elementary grade tutor
    Well i miss the power and repulsion of BG-75ti... sadly it is out of stock right now. I like its feel... but it has less durable too.

6. nutbad5981

elementary grade tutor
    sorry... should be "it is less durable, too."

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Once you have it restrung leave the racket for a few days, for the strings to settle, then use it.

8. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

smart idea
    i have a arc z-s on the yonex website they say that for powerful players they should use bg80 strings (i am a powerful play(smashing alot)
    do you think that is wise ?
    because i have bad strings bg6 strung at 24lbs but the strings are still not broken yet

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

For Powerplay BG80 is always a very good choice, you also may want to consider BG66, although it is not as durable, and you may wish to try Victor VS850.

10. drew tze en

ok ill look at it thanks but my friends has the same racket but nbg98 at 21lbs thats god right ?
    he said if i get like the same strings at the tension 24lbs it will break is that true ?

11. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    Hey vortex,

In general your thicker strings should be at a higher tension than the thinner ones. BG80 wont last very long if you're a hard hitter, The others should last way way longer. I've played with BG65 for a few decades now and its the dullest string but seems to last forever. I remember going a whole year without a restring and that was playing 6hrs a week in the local league

I bought 10+ sets of BG65ti for learning to string and have had very strange results;
    I got best results at 24-25lbs, really crisp shots but smashes at full power just dont work yet. Also it didnt lose too much tension
    @22lbs, smashes were great but its harder to control the shuttle.

So far none of my .7mm strings have broke yet, but the thinner ones have. I play around 2hrs a week

If its breaking in the middle, no where near the sweet spot then maybe the strings were damaged by clamping during stringing. I doubt you hit this area enough to cause it to snap.

12. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    Its all about personal preference and the level of play. You only use expensive thin strings if you dont mind spending the money on them. Then in that case, you might as well string it a higher tension.

Personally I've gone the cheap fat string/medium tension route, ie bg65ti @ 24lbs.

I still have 2pcs of nbg98 and bg80 but havent tried it yet as the bg65ti are performing ok. If I went out and bought a Z slash and strung it with nbg98 I would play better but to what avail?

Most of us here play for fun. Which is a compromise of how much we spend on gear and strings.

13. drew tze en

i play for fun but i also go into competitions but isn't our technique not the strings ?
    people said use thick strings strung at a high tension (controlled players) and thin strings strung at a low tension(powerful players)
    is that correct ? and how does this statement above relate to a players performance ?

14. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    Its all about what you play more comfortable with, which in turn increases your performance.

I prefer thinner strings and would play with them if I played more seriously. But after experimenting with these fast bg65ti, its a compromise.

To play at your best you need your perfect racquet/string/tension and grip/shuttle to a lesser extent. There are so many variables that most people just settle on one or two racquets, find a nice rough tension by chance and go with the more popular strings

Those who string their own racquets have a big advantage in this regard.

15. drew tze en

alright ?
    i have a Arcsabe rZ-Slash and i want to get Yonex Bg 80 strings
    what tension do you recommend?

16. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

24lbs+ thats when the BG80s work best.

17. drew tze en

are sure at a high tension ?
    i am a hard hitter but i still want control when i hit the shuttle
    is 22-23lbs good ?

18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

BG80 is actually extremely durable, there are many people on the forum who have used it @ 27lbs and it had taken about 3 months to break. You should at least try it at around 25lbs. I used to use it @ 22lb and it felt quite dull, but when I moved it up to 25lbs, I had better control, with no apparent loss in power. Of course these are my findings, yours may vary.

19. drew tze en

Thanks !! that helps me a lot

20. Agile_Monkey

Agile_Monkey Regular Member

Student
    I usually string my racket at 24-26 lbs with BG-65. and it usually last about 1-2 months.
    I play about 7-8 hours a week.

Smash all the way, loving the high tension!