Yonex Nanospeed 9900 Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Please see posts 169 and 176 :)

... and 180 too!

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Yes, it's extremely light... something surprising for a stiff-shaft racquet.

I don't know if you have used the Nanospeed 9000X.
    If you have, you'd have difficulty calling the 9900 a 'new' racquet :rolleyes:

3. z3048018

z3048018 Regular Member

(un)fortunately i have not...after what friends have been saying, i thought it would be a waste of money

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i thot the 9000X is not head light, more closer to balance and x-stiff.
    could 9900 be like 9000S but x-stiff like the 9000X ?? I haven't tried it but rather trying to extract your thots online:p:p

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

With the ArcSabers and the Armortecs still going strong, it will be tough for Yonex to hawk this 'new' Nanospeed. There is no niche (as indicated by the chart) that this racquet fills... except maybe the craving forsomething newer ;)

6. szekt

szekt Regular Member

Actually am thinking of getting either arc 10 vs nanospeed 9900; have used nanspeed 9000S before but felt it is abit too head light for my liking... smashes are less powerful..... any advice?:)

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Try using a 3UG5 or 2UG5.

8. szekt

szekt Regular Member

Hi ants, the nanospeed 9000s i used is 3UG4; do you mean to get a 3UG5 or 2UG5 arc 10 or nanospeed 9900?

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    NS9900. YOu can also use it for ARC10.

10. stjsx

stjsx Regular Member

hey guys, i am wondering if the nanospeed series, such as the latest ns9900, are able to generate faster smashes than armortec, such as at 700.
    how does ti-10 come into the picture.
    like the yonex chart, armortec's are head heavy while nanopeed's are under repulsion which both yonex claims to generate faster smashes.
    i have played with all rackets in the past but at different levels of my game so am not able to compare them.

11. z3048018

z3048018 Regular Member

i've used both racquets and i can tell you that it's hard to say which one generates the faster smash. it all depends on your timing and technique i guess.

12. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    haha.. makes you wonder whey they dont may a head heavy racket with repulsion :cool: :rolleyes: :p .. sigh.. marketing graphs are utterly meaningless ;)

/Twobeer

13. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Review

Extracted from ajc00's larger review in another thread:

--------

Following many requests from friends eager to find out about these two rackets before their official launch here in the UK, I’ve been granted “permission” shall we say to post the reviews: (Normally my employer does not allow me to do this!)

Apologies in advance for the rather generic-style of review but when I get rackets to test, I send back a report on them, so this may read like more like a report than a review.

Yonex NS9900:

Summary:

What’s the fuss all about? Behind all the technological jargon and black/orange paint lies a racket that has a very stiff flex with an even-balance – very similar to NS9000, if not the same racket with a better paint job and a new CS cap!

Flex:

Advertised as being extra-stiff and it certainly is – without a doubt the stiffest racket in the current Yonex line-up.

Balance:

Advertised as head-light but I dispute this claim. It feels even-balanced to me, on a par with the Arcsaber 7 in that respect.

Performance:

Good head-pick up for over-head shots. It feels pretty easy to manoeuvre in that respect but no more so than most of the Nanospeed range does and less than others. Response time for defending is good but again no real difference from previous flag-ship models like the NS9000X, NS9000S or NS8000. Control is impressive; very easy to accurately place a shot exactly where it’s intended to go, especially when lifting into the back corners of a court. Smash trajectory/repulsion is impressive, the head snaps back nicely when the shuttle is struck with strong force.

Conclusion:

A nicely balanced racket that performs well, I like it. However, I have to take issue with a couple of points. Firstly the advertising claim about “the fastest Nanospeed”. If, by this claim, it is meant that the NS9900 is a racket which glides through the air faster than any other of the Nanospeed range, then something is clearly wrong. The NS6000 and NS7000 are distinctly faster through the air than this racket and although from a different range, I would argue that the AT900T isn’t that far off either. Secondly, to many who purchase this racket, I fear that they will be a little disappointed, especially if migrating across from using the NS9000X, as the NS9900 feels and performs in a near identical way.

--------------

14. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    mini mini review

I got e few NS9900 fresh from Germany (GP coded :cool: , not GR :D )

I played with it a few session, and I have to say I am really impressed with this racket.

To me it feels like a big improvement over the NS9K. It is more similar to the feel of a stiffer more powerful version of the NS8K.

If I would compare the responsiveness/repulsion of the NS9900K the closest match is really my TC700 (closer to that in feel than the yonex line).. I would say this is the mixed/double version of TC700 :D lighter but still packs a good punch..

The repulsion and stiffness of NS9900 is nothing short of amazing.. Getting angles, placement and doing flat-play offensive blocks is a joy..

I am really impressed with Yonex effort on this one, and would highly recommend this racket!! I would go so far to say this is my fav. racket in the yonex lineup right know.. And I was a bit sceptical on Ants review, but after playing with it I agree very much on most of what he writes about it..

I only got the 3U version, but I dont really see much point in going 2U, as that would take away a little bit of the speed of the racket (which is its major feature, imop)..

This is like a little brother to the TC700.. Also great repulsion.. two thumbs up for NS9.9K :D

/Twobeer

P.S. btw tested setup (3U/G5, bg80@33) D.S.

15. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    I was drooling at Oldhand's NS9900. Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the frame profile of the NS9900 looks similar to the NS8000. :) Perhaps its just me having sour grapes :D

16. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Oh oh, with twobeer giving such a glowing review, I see myself breaking my piggy bank again !

17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    It is definitively worth breaking the piggy bank for the NS9.9K :D .. However for singles the TC700 has the power edge for me!!

Great racket!!

The balance is more mid-balance towards headlight, compared to the TC700 which I tjhink is more mid balanced slightly towards head-heavy imop. So it was not very hard for me to adjust timing to the NS9.9K.. (only timing issue i had was really finding the sweetspot consistently on all out smashes, of course at 33lbs the sweetspot isnt huge to begin with :))

/Twobeer

18. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

How I wish someone would string for me at 33 pounds :(
    At 30-31 lbs, I don't share your excitement yet, twobeer.

After a long time with the AT-700LTD, the AT-900T and the Ti-10, the NS 9900 feels way too light for adequate control or smashing (although the smashes are just as good with it as with any of the former named). It's the loss of feeling that bothers me... the 9900's light construction makes me feel like a schoolmaster with a thin, light cane.

Just tonight, I noticed that my clears and drives are shooting far out.
    Delicate shots are far from easy... a bit less and they fall short, a bit more and they shoot up! :(

The silver lining is the added edge it provides to defensive shots.
    Being so light, it's rather easy to manoeuvre it to meet smashes.
    A simple flick... and the shuttle rockets away.
    That's a nice result :D

In all, I wouldn't recommend this racquet to anyone who has migrated to the Armortec range (or even the ArcSaber range). Those now wedded to the Nanospeeds will likely love this... as will those who prefer lightweights like the several models from Karakal :)

19. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Thanks to the reviews so far, that's what I like about this forum when so many are willing to spend the time (and money) to write a review on new products, this is very helpful for many and I personally based many of my purchases on the reviews here.

I do hope to see reviews on the NS9900 with tensions that are less than 30lbs as that would be closer to what I am used to.

20. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Coming from an ti10, At700 i can see that, timing between those are very different...

Is being a schoolmaster on court with a whippy cane, doesnt sound to bad too me :D

Must string harder :D :D :cool:

/Twobeer