Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. hellboy84

hellboy84 Regular Member

event coordinator
    Agreed. The squad exceeded the target from Semi to Final. Indeed CWF shows a lots of improvements. Most likely in his stamina and calmness during the tournament. KM has proved himself why he deserved to be in the 14th ranking in the world by showing us his own class of game play.

I do appreciate all of them, they are Malaysian hero in the badminton sport. It just i'm very concern about the way BAM manage those players.

2. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Ramdan's results had been no better than Liew Daren. In fact, he could not even beat Goh Soon Huat for the spot of the reserve singles, who also has not shown any results. Goh Soon Huat has shown that he too is unable to beat Korea's Lee Dong Keun. Do you think he would have beat Takuma Ueda?

Liew Daren was selected because there wasn't much choice. He had reached a higher level before in the past (top 10 Malaysia) and PERHAPS the coaches were hoping that he could pull off his top form performance in this tournament.

He did not.

#2062 undeadshot, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  3. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

Well, Rashid FINALLY has enough of him, and recommended to BAM for his exclusion in the Asian Games. The question is... will BAM agree?

4. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

it is Rashid who have to go...

meanwhile, they (coaches & BAM) should give the back up players like Iskandar, Soon Huat, and juniors players like Soo Teck Zhi, Cheam June Wei, etc some chances...

5. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I agree that Liew Daren should be excluded from the Asian Games, and even suggest that he be excluded from Super Series tournaments until he shows better attitude in training. No point sending him out any longer when he cannot gain anything else as he has already gained FOUR to FIVE years of experience on the Super Series level. Time to expose Goh Soon Huat and Iskandar - Give Daren's slot to them and let them take turns to go to Super Series events for upcoming tournaments. Remember, Chong Wei Feng and Liew Daren were mediocre players themselves and they only got better than the other backup players after a year in Super Series tournaments, after Hafiz left BAM.

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

PETALING JAYA: Rashid Sidek is finding his job as national singles coach untenable.

And the 46-year-old has not ruled out leaving his post earlier than expected if the situation gets “nasty” with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM). His contract ends in December this year.

On Tuesday, BAM president Tengku Tan Sri Mahaleel Tengku Ariff blamed the men’s singles failure at the recently-concluded Commonwealth Games in Glasgow on the coaches. And he was obviously referring to Rashid, saying “if a coach does not know how to teach a player, then it’s the coach’s fault, not the player”.

Both Chong Wei Feng and Liew Daren were sent packing in the quarter-finals by Indian players as Malaysia’s 24-year domination of the men’s singles event in the Games came to an end.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2014/08/08/Rashid-set-to-quit-if-spat-with-BAM-continues/
    On Wednesday, the BAM held a management meeting, chaired by Tengku Mahaleel, with the coaching staff. Rashid was absent as he was not informed about the meeting.

At the meeting, he was dropped from the Malaysian team for the World Championships in Copenhagen, Denmark, from Aug 25-31. He was also not included in the plans drawn up by the BAM for the next four years, including the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics. Hendrawan, a singles coach, has been given the task to lead the team to Copenhagen.

“It’s now obvious that my days are numbered in BAM,” lamented Rashid, who went on leave after returning from Glasgow.

“But I have yet to decide on my next move. If my service is no longer wanted here, I can always seek my ‘rezeki’ (livelihood) elsewhere.

“I will see how things go in the next few months. If I’m still being treated unfairly, I’ll quit. Otherwise, I will see out my contract until December.

“I have no desire to stay on regardless of what happens next,” added Rashid, who will return to work next Monday.

He said it was sad to find himself in the bad books of the BAM.

“Like any other coaches, we just want to perform our duty, to coach the players. I hate to be in such a situation, where your boss keeps finding fault with you.

“I know I won’t be serving BAM for the rest of my life. I’m going to leave some day, but certainly not in such fashion.

“I’m really sad to end my one decade stint with the national team in such a manner.”

Rashid, the 1996 Atlanta Olympic bronze medallist, has never worked well with the BAM set-up since Tengku Mahaleel took charge in July last year. He tendered his resignation on Sept 19 last year, citing he was uncomfortable with the structural changes in the BAM coaching set-up. But he returned 10 days later after being persuaded by Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin.

7. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Pathetic, cowardly BAM by not inviting Rashid then bad-mounthing him in the meeting, BAH...!

8. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Published: Monday August 18, 2014 MYT 5:39:00 PM
    Updated: Monday August 18, 2014 MYT 8:15:16 PM
    BAM U-turn: Rashid going to world champs after all

BY RAJES PAUL

National chief coach Rashid Sidek (right), seen here with singles coach Tey Seu Bock, will follow the badminton team to the World Championships in Denmark despite earlier being left out by BAM.
    National chief coach Rashid Sidek (right), seen here with singles coach Tey Seu Bock, will follow the badminton team to the World Championships in Denmark despite earlier being left out by BAM.

Email

Facebook
    KUALA LUMPUR: National singles chief coach Rashid Sidek will accompany the Malaysian badminton team to the World Championships in Copenhagen from Aug 25-31 after all.

On Monday, Rashid, whose name was earlier omitted from the squad, was given the green light by the Badminton Association of Malaysia to go to the championships.

The former international will leave for Denmark tonight with the rest of the players and coaches.

Rashid’s presence is good news for world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei, who is bidding to win his first world title.

“I was told of my inclusion today. I am happy that I get to help the players at the World Championships,” said Rashid, who was blamed by the BAM for Malaysia’s failure to win the men’s singles gold at the recent Glasgow Commonwealth Games.

At an emergency meeting last week, Rashid was dropped as coach for the World Championships. The BAM’s disciplinary committee also issued Rashid a show cause letter for going public on his decision to turn down a job as project leader for the Commonwealth Games.

Competitions chairman Dr Koay Ban Hing, who was abroad for the last one month, said he hoped the last-minute inclusion of Rashid would benefit the team.

“Rashid is the chief coach. The world meet is important to us as Chong Wei has a chance of winning the title. I hope his inclusion will alleviate the bad publicity,” said Ban Hing.

“I believe that everyone is innocent until proven guilty. I called up Rashid and asked him whether he wanted to follow the team. He said yes if the team wanted him. I then put forth the request to the BAM management.

“The management then approved to send Rashid together with two other singles coaches (Tay Seu Bock and Hendrawan). But they told me Rashid’s approval was subject to him replying to the show cause letter. I contacted Rashid immediately and he said he would reply to the letter before leaving for Copenhagen. All is settled now and we hope the team will enjoy a good outing in Copenhagen,” added Ban Hing.

9. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    where is rashid? i thought he was in Copenhagen with datuklee ???

10. indrg

indrg Regular Member

One can only speculate Rashid did not even bother to come.

11. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

I've read somewhere rashid said that if the team needs him he'll go to copenhagen. But even he goes there he might not goes on court with the players. Hendrawan will be on duty on that tourney.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  13. losima

losima Regular Member

be responsible with people money.

sending kids into foreign lands when they are not ready is wasting rakyat money with no tangible results.

instead, it is best to send wei wei who has 99% chance of winning and bringing glory to the country.

1Malaysia.png

14. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

KUALA LUMPUR: The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) have hired five-time world champion Lin Dan’s junior coach from China to help revive the fortunes of the national men’s singles department.

BAM secretary Ng Chin Chai said on Saturday that He Guo Quan, in his 40s and from the Guangxi province, will start his job as a singles coach next month.

Not many have heard of Guo Quan but it is learnt that he had been involved in Lin Dan’s junior career when the shuttler was aged between 13 and 18 under the Military 81 junior squad.

Lin Dan, who is from the Fujian province and who joined the People’s Liberation Army at the age of 13, was promoted to the national elite team under chief coach Li Yongbo when he was 18.

During his junior days, Lin Dan won the boys’ singles and team titles in the 2000 Asian Junior Championships and reached the boys’ singles semi-finals of the 2000 World Junior Championships.

Chin Chai said that Guo Quan’s job scope had not been finalised but confirmed that he would deal with the singles players.

“He was recommended to us and we’re quite impressed with his credentials. He has played a part in Lin Dan’s growth as a junior ... we have verified it with other sources. He was here on Wednesday for an interview and we spoke to him at length. He is quite keen to assist in our singles department,” said Chin Chai.

“We have not finalised on where he would fit in (whether with the national back-up or the Bukit Jalil Sports School) but he will surely work with most of our younger players.”

Guo Quan will be the fourth coach from China working with the BAM – joining Zhou Kejian, Zhang Hongyu and Chi Shanrong under the BJSS programme.

The other high-profile coaches from China who had been involved in the elite programme included Han Jian, Yang Yang, Fang Kaixiang, Chen Changjie and Li Mao.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Bad...Dans-junior-coach-to-revive-singles-fortunes/

15. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    BAM must emulate the other top badminton nations and get rid of politically connected amateurs
    and get those who knows the game and has played the game to run BAM and focus on badminton and
    not use BAM as their platform for personal gain and practising power abuse on coaches and players....
    WHEN WILL THEY LEARN!

16. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

17. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Seriously, if he says that BAM has the talents but it takes time to groom them, would he not be spanking himself? :D
    Given that seat for that long and there is no player closed to LCW shows the capabilities of him and his team inside BAM.
    His statements saying there is no player above 13 yrs of age has the talent nor the gift of LCW and that it takes another 100 yrs to find another LCW really makes me laugh! :D
    Malaysia has a lot of talents! Just look at the world junior tournaments in the last couple of years.
    His statement could be true if he meant LD instead of LCW. What LCW has is his physical talent and nothing else. He does not possess the talent of say, TH or ZJH or LD or PP.
    BAM will continue to stay afloat with the sponsors money pouring in but will never reach the top power house.
    Simply, they do not or can't see the need to go down deep into the recruitments of the grass roots level. They can't and they won't because if they do, they are killing themselves. The problems start from the feeders or the state associations and they need their votes:D

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Yeah. How come Malaysia got talent at junior level but not senior level.

Also claiming lack of talent in the present batch will serve to demoralise the squad.

I don't believe there is lack of talent. Keep to working hard, and learning to play smarter is the answer.

NCC may be a lawyer, but he doesn't seem too smart on his public comments.

19. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    For doubles players when it comes to senior level, the coaches just like to change their partner :D

Just like I used to change my girl friends when I was young lol

Besides, they play less tournaments, about 6 per year.

For singles, the best bet was Zulfadi who could go for rubber game 2 years ago with Darren liew and kenichi tago but now it seems like he is falling behind!

Being outside BAM he can play more tournaments, 16 in 2013 and 11 and counting this year!

Maybe too many he cant have a proper training regime :D

All these add up to the disappearing former world junior champions from Malaysia :D

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

But ZZ kept pulling out of competitions as well.