Change of mentality required: singles & doubles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jcl49, Apr 5, 2004.

?

do you have to take a complete different mentality between singles and doubles?

1. YES

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. vinjy

vinjy Regular Member

student
    I post my reply already but did not show i post again

Yes mentallity will be different and there will be a change. Mentallity for double is more attacking, when receive service mentality must push the shuttle.Not only mentality diff even foot work and defend also diff.

Footwork:
    singles cover all corners of the court, whereas doubles coverage is shared. (doubles more side jumps and movements to execution target)

Defend:
    Setting up of defense is shared, whereas singles is alone in the middle of the court, position depending on the capabilities of each individual competency.
    Thus single player have to beaware of shuttle will land in any part of the court, not like double games only defend half court.

Thanks correct me if i am wrong :)

Feel free to visit my blog http://allaboutbadmintonblog.blogspot.com/
    There is some link can about badminton as well

2. N4ruto

N4ruto Regular Member

Engineer
    Voted yes.

The pace in doubles are much faster than in singles. Double players tend to take more risk by anticipating his/her opponents shot as there is a partner providing the cover. In my own personal experience, I find that singles player when playing doubles are very slow in their shot making and they always use a lot of wrist work (trick shot). Also, as their playing style is much safer (taking each shot at a time), they tend to lift the shuttle a lot and this put the pairing into a lot of pressure. :)

3. BUnstable

BUnstable Regular Member

Student
    I've never thought about it... I guess yes because the gameplay is different.

4. smashingmark

smashingmark Regular Member

Yes you have to change your style of play and also your mentality.

Doubles is more of an attacking game.. partners of a doubles pair play very low shots and tend to feed each other for the attack option.

Singles, you have to play smartly and you cant simply smash. You need to play every shot into the corners to pull your opponent apart.

Ciao
    smashingmark.wordpress.com

5. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    the thing to consider is, while there is very obviously a change in mentality, is that conscious or subconscious. if you think about it, have you ever needed to tell yourself not to hit past the singles court boundaries when playing singles and having played doubles a few games before hand? it's pretty obvious to most that on switching between doubles and singles you need to play differently and aim at different areas of the court.

the thing is, most people will have played both enough to automatically know that in singles you smash down the sides most instead of down the middle. there is a change, but i doubt most people need to think about it very much. this is very evident in local tournaments. often top local players will excel in both singles and doubles events and they will often play a doubles match right after singles due to scheduling. they don't seem to find it too taxing. which brings me back to my point. the change in mentality is there, but you don't really need to focus on it.

6. Maxphi5

Maxphi5 Regular Member

Student
    Yeah I have a differant mentality because:
    1. When I'm in doubles i think about smashes more
    2.When I'm in singles i think more about my placements of shots to out maneouver the oppenant.
    3. As stated above me I aim my shots to differant places because of the boundry lines.

When in doubles i sometimes go to try to out maneouver the opponents but with two stron players doing softer shots will be easier to stop even if it takes them out of position cause they have there teamate to help out. (Your shots are faster if you shoot in a "straight" line)

7. jwu42

jwu42 Regular Member

Histotech
    Yes as there are quite a lot different about the two as follows IMO:
    1) winning in doubles involves being quicker and over-powering your opponents while setting shots up that your partner can finish easily for max efficiency.
    2) winning in singles requires patience, setting up shots for yourself and putting your opponent out of a comfort zone with strategic placements.

In short, doubles I'm more aggressive, taking shots early and lots of smashes. Singles is a bit more drives and drops to the corners and making your opponent run.

8. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yeah definitelty , singles is about out manouevring your apponent until finally they lose the points.

But doubles is attacking play the whole way.

After a night of doubles I probably do tend to lose my singles , because I keep playing attacking shots , and won't have enough stamina for it

9. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    i usually am not that good at doubles becuase of my natural love/hate relationship with singles lol. but yes there is deffinetly a difference between the 2. you do have to be more attacking in doubles but you need teamwork more than anything and have to set eachother up and make sure to play as a team and not an individual. where as in singles fitness, shot placement and stragety play a much higher part in it setting yourself up so that you can end it off on you winning the point or the opponent making an error.

10. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

I read in a book somewhere,

In singles, when in trouble play the clear. [preferbly to opponent's backhand]

In doubles, when in doubt, play the smash. [preferbly straight at the centre line.]

11. Moncky23

Moncky23 Regular Member

Badminton!
    I voted 'yes'.
    In doubles, you are always on the offensive. You take every opportunity to send the shuttle downward as fast as you possibly can. And as was said previously, always smash when in doubt. Also, the court is bigger and you have a nice little "hit here" indicator strip (in between the 2 different court lines for singles & doubles).
    While in singles you have to be a lot more strategic, I fail miserably as a singles player because I always smash/clear just outside the court lines and just inside the doubles court line, and it really pisses me off =.= But anyways, back to the differences. In singles you have to take a lot more time in deciding what your next shot will be because you want to set your opponent up to be the unfortunate receiver decent smash or a nice net shot when he isnt ready to return it. And so ends my 2 cents, please, dont flame me.

12. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    Yes
    In singles you play smash only when you are certain that you are going to end the rally immedialtely withing next 2 shots and your strategic shot is clear. You want to attack the sidelines and corners.

In doubles, you want to play any other shot only when smash is not viable. You try not to clear unless forced to & you try to attck the middle line which would be suicidel in singles.

13. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    I have began to start disagreeing with my previous sentiments. I had previously been one inclined to agree that singles and doubles are two very different things, but having reviewed badminton for a longer period of time now (a few years), having seen more videos and matches and having played in many more since then.

Obviously, there are some fundamental differences (where you aim, formations as opposed to no formations, etc.), but there are more similarities in how we ideally play than I had previously thought.

Defense is very difficult to use to win a match outright in both singles and doubles for most of the time, as being able to maintain the attack is fundamentally important as an advantage. Of course, defense is easier to maintain in doubles than singles, and there is typically more neutral play in singles, but this part remains the same.

Also, as to the argument that smashing in singles is more risky and used less often than in doubles (and a similar argument that drops are much more common place in singles than doubles), I find that these arguments pertain more to a style of play more common to past eras and users of the Old Scoring System (OSS).

Singles, I find, is now much more versatile and displays a much more explosive style of play, particularly among professionals. The more ground-based sort of play that utilizes more drops and clears and fewer smashes and drives is usually more of an indication of the limit of one's playing skills rather than the general style of the game.

With doubles, drops are still an integral part of the game, and while it is much easier to apply pressure with smashes than it is with singles, drops are still a very useful component of the game both to throw the pacing as well as to ensure that your opponents spend more energy on footwork while playing defense, potentially setting up better smash positions just as you would in singles.

Similarly, it is still possible to apply pressure using only smashes, even if it is generally limited to the higher tiers of play due to the lack of a front player to cover up mistakes from the back (ie flat smashes, inability to recover quickly from smashing, etc.).

Returning back to the general view of these two and their styles as well as adjusting to playing both doubles and singles, I think that people generally have initial issues such as aiming at the right lines, serves, pacing, etc. However, I think that like many transitions in badminton (OSS/NSS, different flooring materials, varying height of nets, etc.), this is simply an issue of practice and experience. Over time, most of the issues will no longer be issues but automatically and subconsciously (if not unconsciously) adjusted for in the mind (which is really the main issue: whether or not you can adjust to the different conditions in your mind).

14. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

although i said yes because of basic fundamentals(2 players, sustained attack, less movement pressure in doubles), i find that todays singles game is fast becoming far more aggressive with heavy jump smashes and attacking the net more often than lifting

15. vatsvikas

vatsvikas New Member

Very Different

I surmize i am entirely different player in singles and doubles. serve style is different, use smashes much more in singles - near side lines. In singles i make lot of points by back hand cross court drops, in doubles i use it sporadically as other player is there.

16. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

of course?
    doubles is more faster, if you play slow ly your definatly gunna lose
    vice versa with singles

17. kingmarioxv

kingmarioxv Regular Member

graduate student
    change in mentality

For myself, singles and doubles require a change in mentality for me. For a few years now, I have not found a good doubles partner, so I've focused on singles. I'm a naturally attacking player and tend to do so for singles - I'm not that much into the whole aspect of tiring and setting up my opponent (since I also run, I have the stamina to do this at my intermediate level).
    In doubles, it's hard to depend on a partner -I tend to see them as a liability and relegate them to playing in one part of the court ;). Doubles definitely require teamwork so I have to keep in mind that I have someone to cover me and not run into them...

18. GameGod

GameGod Regular Member

None
    I am a comparatively outstanding Singles player, ranked 7th in a club where there are 4 professionals-in-training (who are better than me; there are a few younger ones who I can beat). But I am disgusting at Doubles. I take all of my partner's shots and think of the partner as a hindrance. On the couple of occasions where I have played with someone as good or better than me, our strategy was to take halfs of the court, which didn't really change my mentality.

19. Cancelok

Cancelok Regular Member

student
    I take a different mentality, but not a completely different mentality. In doubles, I try to attack one person at a time to win the point (unless they leave court openings) and force them to lift so I can smash. In singles I do something similar, however I focus more on movement to/from the birdie than power.

20. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

After voting "yes", it came to mind that the poll question is a bit weird.

You don't define what you mean by the term "mentality". Do you mean attack vs. defense, or smashing vs. playing into corners, or "winning vs. not losing"? Or do you simply mean the general play style?