What Makes A Good Badminton Racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ssj100, Apr 18, 2011.

1. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I'm relatively new to this forum, so apologies if this has already been posted before:
    http://badminton-racket.blogspot.com/2009/12/what-makes-good-badminton-racket.html

I think the blogger makes excellent points. Even though the blog post was made over 1 year ago, the same points apply today.

For those who can't be bothered reading through that thesis (haha), here are some of the key quotes:

2. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

it's the player on form that make the racket look good! even international players have different choice of racket according to their preference... if you play well and on form, then your racket is good!! hahaha..

I met so many player that always blame string, racket, lightings, shorts, shoe, socks, etc... but seldom blame their skills!!

3. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

3 words:

High

Modulus

Graphite

4. visor

visor Regular Member

^^
    lol ... one word: woven

5. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

What makes a racket good is the interface between the racket grip and the floor.

6. Ti.-Reflex-100

Ti.-Reflex-100 New Member

One piece, tight strings, grip, weight, balance.

7. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I don't think anyone is actually reading the blog post (in the link) properly. Let me simplify it (with some of my views put in too):
    1. The "latest and greatest" racket is mostly all about marketing.
    2. If you buy the "latest and greatest" racket after reading "amazing" reviews about it, you're going to be bias when you review it (too).
    3. The "latest and greatest" racket isn't going to improve your game much. In fact, it's probably not going to improve it at all. If you "think" you are improving, it almost always means that you are getting technically better or more fit etc, not because of the "latest and greatest" racket. If you've been told that the "latest and greatest" racket is "incredibly powerful", then when you smash etc, you'll likely only "feel" that you're getting more power, when in fact, it's just a "louder" noise. The speed of your smashes could even be slower than your average.
    4. Don't get caught up in the marketing and waste your money. If you can afford it (or if it's your hobby to collect rackets and not actually try to become technically better), then waste away!

8. visor

visor Regular Member

So, with such pessimism about "new and improved" rackets, we're supposed to just stick with our steel shaft and steel frame rackets and be happy with them? :confused:

I'm being facetious of course, but what I would suggest is take a more objective approach where we separate the marketing double speak (which we know Japanese companies are so good at) from the technology, and assess the technological improvements (if any) on its own merits.

#8 visor, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

the answer to the question is quite simple really.:)

A good racket is one that suits your style of play, as well as being durable, and costs as much as you willing to pay.:)

10. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

But then that's exactly what I'm trying to portray. I think many need to be more objective when it comes to assessing a badminton racket. If you are a good player with a powerful smash, then a racket isn't going to make much difference at all. Sure, racket technology does improve in general over time - I don't dispute that. What I am trying to emphasise is that the player is infinitely more important than the racket. If you're not getting very powerful smashes, work on your technique. Don't expect the "latest and greatest" racket to give you more power "just like that", and don't mimick the badminton racket companies' "brain-washing" people into thinking it does.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Agree. And Yonex over the past few years has been particularly guilty of this, what with Trivoltage, sound filter, nanopreme, etc.

Victor on the other hand has been rather straightforward in presenting its technology. And now makes it easier for the user to select their rackets according to their 5S matrix: smash, speed, stability, sweet spot, smoothness.