ANNOUNCEMENT: Ashaway Improves its ZyMax Line!

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by DinkAlot, Apr 27, 2011.

1. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Finally had a proper go with Red 62 at 22/24. Wow. Unreturnable net and drop shots a plenty and the last few hits starting to really wind up the power. So, before i ask my stringer to order a reel of this, is the red version still terrible compared to white and yellow? I cannot imagine having any more control than I already have.

2. mcken200

mcken200 Regular Member

I can comment on the zymax 65 Red strings strung at 26lbs on my VT80: for me it has great control and power and is quiet durable, i've had these strings for about 2 months now and I play about 7 hours a week.However my zymax 67 silver strings strung at 26lbs on my MX London just broke from about 4 hours of play from a mishit near the top of the frame.

3. mcken200

mcken200 Regular Member

Has anyone got a victor racket strung with Ashaway zymax 65 strings, if you do please can you state what tension you have?

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    In my opinion the reds and all the new ZM version of yellow and white (also red) are an entirely different string from the original ZM string. The new ones are also of much lower playability than the original ones. The only thing they really stand out is much better durability.
    Frankly, I am astonished to read that you find the red that good!

5. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Never tried the MK1. I appreciate the MK2 is not so satisfying to those (stringers :p) who liked the MK1 so much. So it's not that the red is worse, it's that the mk2 is worse? I've ordered some more anyway, a red and a white to compare.

6. nightin9ale

nightin9ale Regular Member

@mcken200: Thanks for your input about the zm65. So is this your go-to string now? Sorry to hear about your zm67 silver. Unfortunately, there's a lot of factors to consider why strings break suddenly. Try the red one, maybe it will treat you better = ) What's your quick comparison between the zm65 vs zm67? Thanks.

7. dffhkhksg

dffhkhksg Regular Member

Heard a lot of great things about these strings. Too bad i cant seem to find anywhere that stocks it in the GTA.

8. fleet2003

fleet2003 Regular Member

In my personal opinion, once u string the racket, don play it immediately regardless is ZM62 or 65. the sound will be very dull. Just leave the racket alone for 3 or 4 days then u try playing with it. everything will be different.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The reds come only in mark II version so there is no way it can be as good as the Mark I.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

This is not true for players of above average skill. The best playability is the first few hours and it then gets progressively less good.

11. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    So Taneepak, all the MK2 are as bad as each other? Not to put words in your mouth, your 'bad' is my 'best string ever' :)

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The new mark2 yellow and red strings are equally poorer than the mark1. The new strings are no better than the Yonex BG66 Ultimax whereas the mark1 is far superior to the BG66 Ultimax.
    To my knowledge the only string still using the mark1 technology is the platinum color, but I believe it is being discontinued in the US and Europe. It (platinum) will only be available from the Singapore regional distributor.

13. mcken200

mcken200 Regular Member

I am loving the Zm65 I can't compare to the MK1 strings as I have never tried it.
    This is definitely my go to string now, on my VT80 @26lbs it allows me to clear to backcourt with ease and accuracy, dropshots are great and when called upon the explosive power is amazing.

Throughout the recent years I have only tried BG65ti, BG66 UM, NGY98, and Victor VS850 strings.
    I have to say that Victor strings offer amazing control and repulsion but tension doesn't retain well, which is why I tried out the Zm65.

The reason why I got the Zm67 was because when I got the MX London the online store did not have zm65 in stock, so I'd though I would give it a try.

At first try, strung @26lb's it immediately was strung to tight (probably from electrically strung) I found it hard to clear or smash as the sweetspot was so much smaller. I guess I made the wrong call to string it at the same tension as my VT80. It was great on the defence on the other hand as I could return smashes with ease. But I am quite an aggressive player so being too defensive doesn't suit me so I rested the racket for a week to try again.

Already it felt better but still nothing like the Zm65, tension still retained well too. Total playing time with this racket is just slightly less than 4 hour and 1 mishit about 2 inches from the top of the frame caused it to snap.

Which I am glad as it allowed me to reorder another pack of Zm65 and get it restrung, I will try it on 24lbs to play it safe, and hopefully and can review it again.

#493 mcken200, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  14. mcken200

mcken200 Regular Member

Here's the photo of the string breakage TT.

racket strings.jpg

15. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    ^seems more like a bad grommet situation

16. mcken200

mcken200 Regular Member

It looks like that but the shuttle tip was literally trapped inside the strings when it snapped.

17. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I used ZM67 for my MX80 @23lbs and it lasted for almost 1 year..
    I also used ZM67 for my Tpro and lasted for 2 years..

18. mcken200

mcken200 Regular Member

Wow such a long time ! it looks like i mad a poor decision with my choice in tension.
    Can I ask what tension your Tpro was strung at?

19. nightin9ale

nightin9ale Regular Member

@mcken200: Thanks for your input about the zm65. But it only lasted you for about 4 hours and one mishit? The durability is not too promising compared to zm67, which Avenger says lasted him for about 2 years!

20. Polaroid

Polaroid Regular Member

Student
    Any string would break on a powerful mishit