Yonex new racket is coming: Nanoray Z speed!!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kumache, May 29, 2013.

1. jediwannabe

jediwannabe Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Just got my hands on a Z Speed 3UG5 SP today strung up with BG66 Ultimax @ 24lbs. I added a layer of AC102EX overgrip unto the original grip. Here's my dry swing comparison with my Nanospeed 9900LTD Green 3UG4 and Voltric 70 4UG4. Both original grip removed and replaced with Karakal PU Super grip.

All the feedback and reviews so far are pretty consistent. On dry swings it is obviously HEAD HEAVY, even more than the VT70. It is no where near the range of which it is advertised to be in the racquet chart (around NS9900). Not even close. It should be up on top together with the Voltric series.

However it cuts through the air more easily due to its compact frame. The frame can be seen to be much smaller on the bottom. I felt less resistance but at the same time still slower due to its head heavy balance. The shaft is the longest among the 3 and this would probably help in generating power. Yet to be tested though.

Looking forward to having a match with it. For someone who uses head balanced racquets, I foresee myself having a few muscles aches in the arms and wrist coming my way using the Z Speed :D Here are some amateur shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    more head heavy than the VT70? oh my

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep... it's a baby brother of the VTZF.

Just make sure you only have achy muscles and not achy tendons, as the latter is harder to heal from.

4. Smashthecock

Smashthecock Regular Member

Interior Design
    Do you prefer the ZS or the VT70?

5. bos_dc2

bos_dc2 Regular Member

Howdy, is it strung with black string? I'm debating colour choices for the zspeed, do you have anymore pictures?

6. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    seem like black string

7. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    You are right on the money with Gosen making Good Rackets without the hyping ads and sponsorships...

I have all three of my Ryoga rackets (Shiden, Ougi, and Issen) clashed several times in the past year or so, and aside from a few paint chips, none of them have been broken....

I suspect the carbon used in the Ryoga rackets are dense and high quality. Gosen claims all Ryoga rackets uses M40 carbon from Toray and Zylon fabric (bulletproof vest) on the Shiden and Ougi...

Also, from what I know, the Ryoga rackets all have a Metal T-joint, (Yonex recently been using plastic resin T-joints/T-archors). To those who have reported that your Z-Speed is broken at the T-joint, maybe look for a metal T-joint racket next time...

Also the carbon handle on all the Ryoga series really dampens the vibration compared to my wood handle on my Yonex VT-ZF, VT-80, NR-700RP, Arc11, Ti-10... I can feel quite a bit more vibration on the handle when I mishit the shuttle from time to time.

Gosen makes good strings?????? Really????? From all the strings I have used from Gosen, (R4x 100, 200, 400, Momone, Tsuyoshi), All of them felt bit slippery. This is probably due to the outer Multilade braiding... But I do not like that slippery feel...

For strings I will still stick with the trustworthy BG-66 Ultimax ^_^

8. lovince

lovince Regular Member

So I had a chance to try the NRZS for a few minutes yesterday. Coming from a trio of 9900s, I was expecting a lot of mishits and timing issues.

Surprisingly, everything just felt effortless! Maybe it was because I subconsciously took longer swings to test its power, but it certainly didn't feel head heavy at all mid-stroke. It felt very much like my old (RIP) MP99s, but faster!

Now I'm debating whether to switch to NRZS or BS12..........

9. jediwannabe

Software Engineer
    Thanks for the tip. Yeap, will go easy on it.

I will have to play with them of both for a bit before I can really come about any conclusion. Will keep you posted.

Yeap, it's strung with black BG66UM. Here's more pics of the frame. Personally, I think it looks awesome with black, fits the paintjob just right :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#909 jediwannabe, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  10. bos_dc2

bos_dc2 Regular Member

Thanks for the pics! ^_^

11. HardSmasher

HardSmasher Regular Member

Senior Engineer
    As in Speed category, what is the speed compare to bravesword 10 or other bs? And other performance(smash, etc)....kindly share.

12. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Wait, you can get Ultimax in black? :eek:

13. bos_dc2

bos_dc2 Regular Member

What's everyones NR-ZSP weighing in at, both dry and strung with/without grip?

I weighed a demo racquet strung with NBG95 26lbs and one yonex supergrip @ 97g (plastic still on handle)

So far I've weighted two dry ZSP, both hovering around 89-90g (3U)

14. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
  15. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

Or paint it red / black using stencil ink ;)

#915 yeahehehehe, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  16. jediwannabe

Software Engineer
    Had a 2 hour session with the Z Speed today. It smashes harder than both my NS9900 3UG4 and VT70 4UG4. This I believe is mainly due to the stiffer shaft compared to the VT70 and head heavy balance compared to the NS9900 and compact frame which allows it to cut through the air more efficiently. It felt like a more aerodynamic "hammering" racquet. I didn't suffer much from timing issue but more effort and awareness was needed to compensate for the smaller sweetspot.

Pushing aside all the marketing and advertising jargon by Yonex, I personally feel it's a great racquet and I'm impressed with the power it produces. It's by not means going to increase one's smash as advertise, one is better off hitting the gym and perfecting smash technique, but it does help in complimenting a more offensive play. Also, it's not going to replace my primary racquet NS9900 as an upgrade simply because it plays almost entirely different. It is just another unique racquet of its own.

The main reason why I gotten the VT70 was because I wanted a head heavy racquet for more offensive smashes. I have to say the Z Speed outdoes the VT70 in the smash area. So the Z Speed gets my reluctant vote on this. Reluctant because of the smaller frame, which I find a little unforgiving. Cheers.

17. swunk

swunk Regular Member

omg of course a head-heavy 3U racket will smash harder then 4U vt70 or head-light nanospeed.

18. soulsync

soulsync Regular Member

Mine weight almost the same too.
    Dry is @ 89.5g and wet without the plastic wrap @ 96g

19. bos_dc2

bos_dc2 Regular Member

I've been told by my retailer that their very consistent with the zspeeds, 88-90g for dry weight lol..

I was hoping to find a 86-87 :|

20. visor

visor Regular Member

For 86-87g, just get the Adipower Pro. :)