Ashaway vs Yonex strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Sgbad, Sep 27, 2007.

1. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

seems like an almost perfect string from Dinker's preliminary tests.

2. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

If Sir Dinkalot says so, it has just got to be...

3. zuihoujueding

zuihoujueding Regular Member

currently using ashaway durakill66 and it works brilliant! feels the same as BG85 and seems to last longer and alot cheaper

4. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

I'd always wanted to try those...

5. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i have been wanting to try ashaway micro power but i have a few questions.

1. people recommend pulling the string before stringin the racket to reduce the slack after stringing. would it be the same to simply string the tension higher. for example i am currently using BG66 at 23lb. if i string the micropower at 25lb will it eventually go down to around 23lb?

2. i have found that in malaysia the micropower is 0.66 while at the website it is 0.70. it is stated that the 0.66 is an asian version here in the threads. question is, why not mention the 0.66 version in the website?

3. i found a place selling the ashaway micropower 0.66 at RM21.00. is the price ok? and what other colors are available because i only found the red ones.

i wanted to try BG80 too but maybe when i buy a new racket because BG80 is so expensive. :)

6. roller

roller Regular Member

iro question 2, the website is based in usa and not an asian website.

iro question 3, i have used rose (pink/white) and blue. if i am not wrong, i have seen green colored strings as well.

imho the ashaway mp0.66 is more thick and feel more stiff than bg66, and similar to bg80.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Micro Power in Malaysia is 0.66mm in diameter. So is Power Gut 66 Neon. I keep stocks of 50 to 200 of each, including Micro Legend, as I now use exclusively these 3 Ashaway strings. My take for performance, based on a few hundred string jobs and tests for clients, is that ML is the best, with Power Gut 66 Neon close behind, and Micro Power a bit behind. I charge HK$85 for ML and PG66 for each string job, HK$70 for Micro Power. Based on customer demand Micro Power doesn't seem to be preferred over the other two, even at the lower price, mainly due to its lack of feel-a bit hard and stiff although it is as powerful.
    If interested I can sell you a few Micro Power 66 for Ringgit 15 plus mailing costs. If you are interested in buying 40 packs I will sell the lot for Ringgit 12/each pack.

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Re 3 above, I have it in red, rose, blue, and denim.

9. shaoyut

shaoyut Regular Member

what is that orange ashaway string called?

10. jerby

jerby Regular Member

powergut 65/66 Neon orange.

I'm a fan of pg65, pg66 not so much, but I blame the climate...
    With pg66 at 25-27 lbs it either lasts me a week (losing 3lb tension) or it breaks on the first day with a mishit :eek:

PG65 performs really nice, at first I liked it because I could play at 26-27lbs and still feel comfortable (because it's so soft)...But the tension just drops like hell, even after pre-strecthing and all, it still loses 3-4lbs after a week.

So at first, I liked playing at 25lbs, so I strung it at 27-28lbs...But now I want it at 27lbs, and I don't' feel comfortable stringing at 32lbs...
    So ML is next, after I empty my bg80.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i got a reel of bg65 neon orange from dinkalot. I had to make minor mental adjustment on hitting the shuttle since coming from the bg80 world. Same as u, i strung it the same as my bg80 at 25lb. I think my next re-stringing at 27-28 lb would take care of difference i had with the bg80. What's nice about pg65 is its gripping ability. Repulsion wise, similar to bg65ti but without the slipperyness.

12. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    thank you very much for the offer. :) but since i dont have any means to pay overseas purchase (no credit card, no paypal account...i am so low tech) and i only want to try one pack to see if it suits me, i think the price would come up to about the same as RM21. :D but thank you very much on the offer. maybe later in the future, when i want to buy it in bulk i could contact you. :)

13. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    no answers for question 1? i have read that people do strung their ashaway string higher than their intended tension. is that the answer to my question?

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Pre-stretching of the string is not necessary. Badminton strings have a native elasticity, defined as that when a string is stretched after hitting a shot it will return to the same length as before the shot. Pre-stretching will only age your string prematurely, reducing that native elasticity of a new string.

15. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    thanks taneepak. got it. so i should just string at my usual tension. :D

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Micro Power and Power Gut 66 play at their best at min. 26lbs/28.5lbs. For me 28.25/31lbs is ideal. Micro Legend plays well at any tension but better at high tension.

17. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    oh no!!!!! :) i already bought a pack of ashaway micro power 0.66 but i dont think i can handle that high a tension. i usually use 23 to 25lbs tension for my rackets. oh well. might as well give it a go. so what string is excellent at lower tension? i haven't found micro legend around my place but there's this other ashaway string called ultimum or something like that. :D

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    your 23-25 lbs is super fine for your application. Some play to enjoy the game while some play to enjoy the high tension ping sound and feel. As noted b4, taneepak doesnt pre-stretch so his high tension can't be compare to everybody else. Wat's best for him may not be best 4 u.

#78 cooler, Dec 10, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I do string for players who used to play at the 20 to 23lbs and persuaded them to try 25/27.5lbs on Ashaway PG66 or ML or Micro Power, on the understanding that if they did not like it I would restring it again at their preferred low tension. None of them has asked for the restring and in fact like the higher tension very much. Many of them are beginners. Try 25/27.5lbs with your Micro Power-nothing venture, nothing learned or gained. After you have tried 25/27.5lbs and if you like it, you can then go up to 25.5/28lbs and then progressively up to 28.25/31lbs. Look, my wife is a senior citizen and she plays with 28.25/31lbs with PG66 Neon and Power and she is an intermediate player.
    I was in Kuantan, Pahang on Nov. 18 and played a few games with some Kuantan middle age players and SP Chu of this forum. Almost all of them use 20-23lbs, but when given my 28/30.8lbs racquet to try out all of them did not have any problem.
    I have never heard of Ashaway Ultimum, which is not really surprising as the Ashaway regional distributor in Asia has his own ideas of special strings for Asia only.

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Azabaz ipoh, when you string your racquet my advice is to stay away from one piece stringing or two piece stringing with the crosses strung from the throat end towards the top end. The gold standard is two piece stringing, starting with the mains first and then starting the crosses from the top towards the throat end. At high tensions the difference is very significant.