Help ! How to flick smashes to opposite corner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by staiger, Feb 15, 2010.

1. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Hi guys,

I would like to ask how to flick a powerful smash to the opponent opposite corner (diagonally) with great depth; especially if they aiming for my backhand side.

Thanks

2. visor

visor Regular Member

With great anticipation and fast footwork to get there early enough, then with sudden forearm pronation to lift it cross court over the net. A slight panhandle grip would help too.

3. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Hi Staiger

I'll assume you already possess the capability of hitting the shot i.e. wrist/forearm power.

If you're on the right court and your opponent smashes from their backhand corner into your backhand, the best way I've found is to pivot on your right leg (providing your right handed) and take a step back on your left leg.

This changes your body position from facing the shuttle to facing where you want to hit. As the shuttle arrives in your hitting zone you are then effectively hitting it straight to the opposite corner.

Once you've taken this step, it doesn't mean you have to hit to this area. You could block cross court and will hit a better line too. Or, you can return back to where the shuttle was hit.

All you've done is open up a lot more options. The key with this technique is fast feet and timing. Once you've got it you'll love it!

Let me know how you get on with this tip.

To your success.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

4. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Thanks paul,

I will definitely try it out tonight , as you say it is better to have more options avaliable and keep your opponent guessing.

5. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Check this video out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K-EiX8HFrA