World's BEST BACKHANDER ever lived??

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Yoppy, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
  2. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Taufik Backhand Video Review

[video=youtube;D_Gwx1YDdvs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Gwx1YDdvs&feature=related[/video]

This video is one good example to show us how good Taufik's backhand is. What's interesting about this video are, besides the tremendous strength that Taufik can generate at 0:17 with his backhand given the fact that he did it with minimal back swing action, it also shows us that within a given, near similar situation where the shuttlecock is also positioned possibly at the furthest part of Andrew backhand side like Taufik had, his backhand shot at 0:18 was no where near to the power that Taufik can generate.

The most interesting part again, if you noticed at the early part of 0:17, having able to intercept Taufik net play earlier and out maneuvering him by making a hit towards Taufik extreme backhand side, he waited confidently, with both foot parallel at the front court .....possibly, i think , by able to place the shuttlecock at the furthest part of Taufik backhand side, and if in anyway Taufik is able to take it, he most probably highly expects that it would travel not far other than to the front court and maybe to him....which he can finished it of with a kill!....and boy......Taufik proved he's wrong. Rather than out maneuvering Taufik and wanted to do a winning shot, Andrew was the one out maneuvered and Taufik was the one who ended the rally with a winning shot at 0:20.

Mr Andrew should know his math....this is Taufik he's playing with. In regards with backhand shots, with Taufik's skill, no backhand is impossible to him.

3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

So are you saying that any other top player would do the same as TH?? This is when receiving a "half lift/court" or "poor return", which in TH case I dont think they are 100% "half lift/court" or "poor return".

IMO most players would lift back or drop or drive instead.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Messing with your minds

Just to mess with your minds... :crying::D:D

Concentrate on the very first point of this game. Specifically 0:50
    [video=youtube;NDLGkHd0iZY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDLGkHd0iZY[/video]

Have a nice day! :D

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Sorry, any pro can do a backhand clear, but only TH can do the backhand smash. :p:D

6. drquick

drquick Regular Member

Doctor

Wow ..great backhand by LD.
    but taufik got revenge by his backhand on the last point of the video.

7. shooting stroke

Let me modify and strengthen the meaning of your phrase visor -
    "Sorry, any pro can do a backhand clear or a backhand smash but currently, only TH can do a stunning backhand clear and a stunning backhand smash"

8. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    yes, you have share a good analysis on that!

few players like lin dan, lcw, pg or the top few players whom have been playing with taufik long enough are able to anticipate his backhand returns.

in fact some use it as building shots for later attack.

however credit must still be given to him for such a good back hand!

its just awesome!

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Now this is interesting as new words like stunning backhand clear and stunning backhand smash are used. How do you define stunning? LD's backhand clear at 0:50 in the video can also be called stunning because it went cross-court to the back line although it was executed at only near the back doubles service line. All half court put aways whether from forehand or backhand smashes should be certain winners although they may look stunning.
    Backhand smashes are best used for half-court shots and not full length shots from the opponent, and in the latter case the overhead (round the head) smash is more appropriate.

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

IMO TH backhand is a complement to his main weakness that is his speed and laziness (in compare to other top players), without his backhand TH would not be around the top flight for this long (more than 10yrs). Not the other way around.

#70 Yoppy, Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  11. visor

visor Regular Member

You have an interesting perspective.

Can you name even another pro player past or present who can finish off a rally with a backhand drive or smash like TH? Never mind that he should have gone for a round the head smash or 3/4 court smash not being valid in your eyes.:confused:

12. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    if i may add:

the backhand helps him a lot that's why he is so daring in the front court!

he lets it suits his game..

smart guy!

13. shooting stroke

Just by plain dictionary definition, stunning can be define as like impressive, surprising, remarkably attractive etc. However, personally, in referring to Taufik Hidayat Stunning backhand shots, unfortunately, no dictionary definition fits well nor no words can beautifully describe it. The exquisite of Taufik backhand is like the Picasso of drawing combined with the Mozart of music, an art or craftsmanship that only in the eyes of the beholder can define. Taufik stunning backhands is like "If in any way, momentarily, i knew that he's going to execute it, before that fraction of time happens, i will drag myself out of the bed at the beginning of my sleep knowing that I've not been sleeping for 7 days".

Indeed, other World Class player can execute impressive backhand shots like Lin Dan did at 0:50 in one of those videos posted here, but then, personally, through my eyes, it's just an ordinary backhand.........and for sure it won't drag me out of my bed.

14. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    to define stunning here especially for taufik, you need to add in a little electrifying effect :D

this way maybe you can get the message across :eek:

or another simpler way

taufik's back hand smashes are just like lin dan doing his jumping cross court smashes ;)

15. ERTHK

ERTHK Regular Member

Professional Designer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tU7eT0O7M0

as far as I'm concerned, the most difficult shots are backhand smash / drop - cross court

Because u need to have precise timing, body coordination & pin point accuracy in order to be able to play them, any slight error will immediately turn your shot into a disaster.

Most of the time, it's your instinct dictating your shots, because you have no clear view when u play them.

If u play at an intermediate-advanced level, u will have an idea of what I mean.

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

For that x-court deep backhand by LD, i think why it looks "stunning" was because maybe it caught Taufik a bit by surprise. But to me, it certainly looked similar to the backhand shot by Taufik vs. Andrew Smith (taken at lower height instead).

#76 ctjcad, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  17. visor

visor Regular Member

Heh, at that moment it sure looked like it was TH's turn to be the "stunnee" instead of being the "stunner". :)

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The subtle difference was that LD's was an attacking clear whereas TH's a defending clear.

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Wondering how no one else saw that as yet.

IMO, TH lost the match at this very first point. LD held all the psych cards after that. He held his shot back until TH committed himself to the front foot, knowing that TH would be half a step slower than he was 5 years ago. Notice the really short back-swing, the use of the wrist, and the match is over. My jaw just dropped when I first saw this point being played, and my heart sank. Yes I am a complete TH nut. :)

Regardless, TH is still Mr. Backhand in my book. The others are also-rans.

20. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member