Thick or thin strings?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by decoy, Sep 12, 2012.

1. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I'm currently using bg66um on my rackets at 23lbs but I find that the string loses feel very fast and i have to restringing now so I'm looking at bg80 and bg66. If I use bg80 it's a bit thicker then the bg66um and does that mean I should string higher or lower to get the same feel? Thanks in advance for the help, I seem to see conflicting opinions.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Bg80 has one of the hardest feel around, so I'd recommend you keep it the same at 23 lbs.

3. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Ok thanks, so the feel in this case is more important then the gauge?

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i guess what he's trying to say is if you can handle the feel of hardness of the string, then string at same rate or higher, if not, then you might want to decrease the tension. some people are sensitive in the way a string feels and it affects their game. it's a personal preference.

5. gundamzaku

working professional
    also, bg80 is thicker, so it's going to give you a bit more power than the bg66. at the same time you'll need more effort playing touch shots like drop shots and net shots.

6. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Well I'm still undecided between bg80 and bg66 (normal) i was just hoping knowing the difference of thick and thin wod help that decision. Also I'm more of a touch and control player so does that mean that the bg66 would be better for me than the bg80 because it's thinner or does the hard hitting-ness of the bg80 make up for it? Assuming durability (breakage) is no issue.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

For touch and control play, don't use bg80. Not sure about 66, but the newer nbg99 is supposed to be good for your play.

8. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Alright thanks for the help, ive been lookin at the nanogy 99 but I can't find it in Canada anywhere but I'll keep looking. :D

9. dffhkhksg

dffhkhksg Regular Member

If you are in toronto, MJstrings has Nanogy99 for $14

10. anek1

anek1 Regular Member

Service Manager
    You may consider Bg80P...which giving quite good control...

11. gundamzaku

working professional
    with nbg99, many people claimed it doesn't hold tension. i can't say i agree only because i probably don't play as often as i should. i find both nbg99 and vs850 very capable at holding tension. i only play once at most twice a week, so maybe that's why. but in reality, if nbg99 holds tension as well as vs850, then it's really crap since people claimed vs850 cannot hold tension at all.

12. gundamzaku

working professional
    having used both string i feel that both are not durable strings, one is good with power, the other with control. you really gotta go out and try them out with the same racket so you can tell the difference. if you're already used to bg66, then just stick with what you know, and continue to improve on your skills. if you're actually out shopping for new strings because of curiosity, then don't think too much, just get a new string and play with it for a couple of months, then re-evaulate. either way, you'll learn something you didn't know before. :)

13. decoy

decoy Regular Member

. Alright thanks I think I might just buy 2-3 different strings. I noticed on my zforce that 66um died in my bag but I use my vt80 more an I lasts longer so maybe I'll just leav it on