About short serves

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jeeman, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Jeeman

Jeeman Regular Member

I know that the professional players (mostly male) almost always serve short so that the opponent can not make an attacking shot off the serve.

I was wondering what the pros/cons would be for both long and short serves in a singles match. And also what serve would be more appropriate at an intermediate level.

2. BrioCloud

BrioCloud Regular Member

UC Davis Student
    At a beginner intermediate level, a nice long serve allows the birdie the maximum length of travel. Due to the shuttle's flight pattern, shuttles tend to reduce speed exponentially after a certain distance, if your opponent decides to smash from the back, it will go quite fast towards you, giving him much less time for the blocked smash if you happen to block it. If he realize you may block like so, he may then clear it back, and it is up to you to gauge if the clear is far enough to see if you can smash it or drop it if he cheats to the back.

Short serves are sometimes very punishing for lower level play because in order to perform a short serve, the player must stay close to the net, or somewhat close at least. When served, your opponent can quickly flick to the backhand, or quickly push the shuttle to the back, where you will have a very hard time getting to due to your position of serving. Short serves are meant for players who has a very devastating smash, such as professionals, where a high serve can mean an extremely steep fast and angled cross court shot down the sidelines.

At a beginner to intermediate level, constant short serves are unnecessary and those who continue to do so every time should be countered and punished for it.

3. Jeeman

Jeeman Regular Member

Thanks for the reply :)

4. BrioCloud

BrioCloud Regular Member

UC Davis Student
    Crap. I probably didn't make any sense. I meant, it will go quite fast towards you *then slow down dramatically.*

5. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

So, ... unless your opponent can smash you to bits when you serve him with a really long/high serve, you have nothing to worry about. ;)

6. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    It doesn't have to be a smash though. The problem with the short serve is that if it isn't tight to the net, experienced players will rush the net to perform a kill shot, especially if you've got a predictable serving pattern.

7. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

I meant that the high serve is fine unless your opponent smashes very well even if you play very far back.

8. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Ah. Aye yes, you have a point. Like, most girls don't smash very hard here, so I always do a long serve that's just above their reach. The long/high serve is very viable if they're not good at playing smashes and hard drops.

9. bernboi

bernboi Regular Member

Duck ( U wan to buy?)
    Yes...I will use a backhand net kill if i see the ball not tight to the net..wahahhaha...:D

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A good backhand low short serve, especially in doubles. puts pressure on the opponents.

11. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Hi guys ,

I just wanted to ask for intermediate players , what is the best and most successful serve in doubles especially MD. and is there any advantage in serving short ? and is there an advantage using a backhand serve to the forehand ......

I am so confuse !!

thanks in advance

12. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

How can it be confusing, it's pretty obvious, isn't it? If in doubt, serve short, in doubles.

13. ixoye

ixoye Regular Member

A: Short backhand serve
    Advantage to serving short: attack not given away
    Advantage over using short forehand serve: Less time for opponent to react

That's what I'm told.