Guide: How to Spot Counterfeit Yonex Rackets

Discussion in 'Identify Fake Racket (Price/Source/Serial/Photos a' started by epermana, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Retro_10s

Retro_10s Regular Member

The results of buying a fake racquet (I knew this racquet was fake when buying it) Looks nice, but after a few half smashes it's ture identity is revelead:
    [​IMG]

the above picture pretty much sums that up. the shaft only goes into the handle approx 3/4 of an inch.

#21 Retro_10s, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. santaocir

santaocir Regular Member

student
    hi, how to verify with yonex representatives?

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Even if a 'Letter of Authenticity' is produced, it is no proof that it is genuine

This is not an easy question to answer.

If we buy from a sporting goods retail shop (with us going to the shop in person to check), we would probably find all goods come Yonex. Most shop owners order goods directly from their official National Yonex supplier.

If we buy from a friend or from another player from our club, we would not know. If the sellers themselves cannot tell us if the racket comes from an official Yonex supplier or not, then how can we be sure that the racket is genuine.

We have to be smart. Even if a 'Letter of Authenticity' can be produced, it is no proof that the racket is genuine.

4. StrawberryVi

StrawberryVi New Member

Aircraft Maintenance
    Amazing, post :D
    I was all ready to buy a Yonex AT 900T racket, but was skeptical about why it says "TH,CH,SP" on the shaft, because I own one that is genuine Made in Japan x].
    Thank you for clarifying information!

5. vw1668

vw1668 Regular Member

Accountant
    just too many unreliable retailers are selling fake items on ebay, i guess it's eaiser not to buy any item from them on ebay to ensure that we are paying what it is worth the money.

6. TBBPE

TBBPE Regular Member

Student
    With all the fake seller around on ebay is there actually any seller that actually sells real rackets that actually has lowered the price but not ridiculously lowered it?

7. epermana

epermana Regular Member

TBBPE, I used to resell Yonex rackets (that's what my ebay account was for). However, it seemed that Yonex rackets were just too difficult to sell locally due to low demand and internationally when competing with other online stores. I was selling at probably $30 below price that of MBS including stringing and they were still going slowly. Another thing was that the replica sellers had probably ruined the reputation of "genuine Yonex" on ebay. Now, I am moving on to another brand.

Anyway, the guide may be a little outdated now. I have seen some replicas that actually have alot of the mentioned features. So yeah, they are catching up.

8. Dave "sparkey"

Dave "sparkey" Regular Member

engineer
    I knowingly bought 2 fakes from ebay to test them, and one isn't bad.
    I bought an armortec 700 ltd, and the first thing i noticed was the racket bag, the zip tend to do up the wrong way. :S

Ihave 2 legit Arcsaber 7's and the bag undoes, starting with the zip at the handle end of the bag, whereas the 2 known fake's undo with the zip starting at the head.
    I know this isn't a means to determine legits from fakes but it was just what i noticed

9. Tora_andri

Tora_andri Regular Member

-
    there's no such racket like ar 700 ltd????the real genuine racket is muscle limited edition,it's cost bout US$108???

10. hellmooth

hellmooth Regular Member

I have just bought an armortec 900 power for £70 thought this was quite cheap but still not too cheap to be a fake,opened it up and nknew it was a fake straight away,just looks soo tacky,and i haven't even seen a real yonex before!!!!what can we do about this,surely trading standards can be informed and put on the case???

11. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Simple solution - Purchase your rackets from a Yonex authorized dealer or a reliable source if one does not know what he or she is doing.

If one ends up with a counterfeit, it's because the above was done before hand.

12. hellmooth

hellmooth Regular Member

well this seems the obvious option now :D

You live and learn i suppose,and some times it costs £70 to find that out :D

just bought from authorized dealer there and cost £140 :D

WARNING DO NOT BUY A RACKET FROM RACKETBUY.COM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. johnonedrop

johnonedrop New Member

Civil Servant
    I'm glad I came across this message as I have been toying with the idea of purchasing from Racketbuy.com who state that they are an authorised Yonex dealer.

About 3 years ago (when I was naive at the age of 40) I brought an AT800 (SP) and NS700 (JP) from different sellers on the dreaded Ebay. Whilst both have played remarkably well, the final confirmation that the AT800 was fake was that when I met a friend of mine who had a UK version, whilst comparing rackets, mine appeared to be slightly shorter than his, and the paint scheme slightly darker. The NS7000 however, seemed to be of a much higher standard, and I have not been able to tell whether it is also fake. I doubt that I struck lucky and got an original as the price was too low, however, the quality and playability was very good. Could this be because the origin is JP?

For the time being I have swithed my allegiance to Apacs, as they are not saying that they are Yonex, an the rackets that I have been using have been very good indeed.

14. hellmooth

hellmooth Regular Member

Well I'm glad that it stopped you buying from them because they are a farse,not even a contact number or adress,something i didnt check at the time,ive tried toretrieve money thru paypal but they said they cant help so I've just had to take the hit!!! The quality of the racket is the worst i have ever seen,the minute I seen it I knew it was a fake!! I have since purchased from directsportseshop.co.uk which has an advertisment on here :D

15. blackvictor

blackvictor Regular Member

What does the X in the DDMMYXCC stand for?

16. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    It's bene mentioned before on the forums before.

X is sort of unknown however it's possibly the batch number.

17. StrikeGX

StrikeGX Regular Member

sorry but how do you read the date for 2010 since the Y is only one digit

18. Fauxs

Fauxs Regular Member

Do the Asian Study.
    I would also like to know what the serial number should be for 2010 produced rackets, since my friend got a Arcsaber 8DX and the code is 170202TW and the front page says 0 is fake...

19. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

As you can see the guide was written in 2008. The writer and many others expected a new format for 2010 but this turned out to not be the case. Y for 2010 = 0. You can still tell the difference between 2000 and 2010 because the serial numbers still run consecutively ...

20. noobyo

noobyo New Member

I got an Armortec 300 at badminton alley, not sure whether or not it is real. It seems real in every aspect except that when I asked the stringer to string it at 24 pounds, she seemed unsure and told me that the higher the tension, the lower the power and made me string it at 23. What do you guys think