Toward a Better Tomorrow: A New Framework for Karma and Moderation

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by quisitor, Sep 8, 2007.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ok, seems there's a significant section reviewing my suggestion regarding "not allow negative karma from members". I understand everyone has his/her own preference, and I am open to any suggestions. However, I just want to clarify something 1st.

1. The main reason I proposed the "no negative karma" solution, is because I see some cases that some members were abusing the karma system. The karma system should be used to identify whether a person's post is "informative" or not, but not "agree vs. disagree". As of myself, sometimes, I give positive karmas to ppl, even if his/her solution / suggestion / technique might not be my favorite. However, I still think him/her contribute some useful ideas to the community. Even though, his/her idea might not be the "meat" or even the "poison" to me, but overall, I still consider that's fair statement. However, some other members just rate the karma as "positive = I like ur idea" and "negative = I don't agree".

2. In theory, the difference between 10 and 3 vs. 5 and -2 are the same. However, I don't want to be rated as "negative". You can say I over concerned about the system, but no one want to be embarrassed, especially if him/her is a victim of the "abuse" as I mentioned in #1. Therefore, I would prefer to distiguish the "superior" and "normal" with positive only, but not positive vs. negative.

3. I don't understand what's wrong with "hold our hands". The moderators are the leaders for our community. They should be the ones trusted by everyone. They represent the fairness and standard. It's like, if there's a dispute among you and me in daily life, we go to the court, and let the judge to determine the case, but not someone randomly off the street, or to be worse, someone from either your or my own family. You should not give me a "bad record", because you are under emotion, and of course, I should not do the same. Therefore, if you feel I am crossing the board, you can report, and let the moderators to determine whether it's the case or not. This way, the result should be fair, and the system gets less chance to be abused.

2. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I am indecisive, should i re-read quistors posts, or re-read Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky...

decisions, decisions...

/Twobeer

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    This is quite 'enlightening' to say the least... about Quisitor:D.

4. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
  5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmmm...

:p....hmmm, a 100-page reply to Confucius due out in Summer '08??..I'm sure our Sir Linus, azabaz_ipoh & chris@cccare looking forward to that post..:eek::confused::rolleyes::p...
    ..exactly, or like Master NGP/DinkAlot likes to say "Egg-zachary":p...Do you know why or what's the reason why so many member' posted a reply and eventually led to that thread being locked ??..:confused::rolleyes::p
    Again, BC is what it is, "perfectly imperfect"..And if it wasn't for what it's been all about, then i doubt this forum would be as popular as it has been..;):cool:
    ..tell me about it...:rolleyes::p:D;)
    Anyways, this thread sounds like somewhat of a continuation from that thread...Hopefully, this thread won't go that route..:p:rolleyes::(;)

#25 ctjcad, Sep 10, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    So what is the conclusion now?

7. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Nothing much really. We're not intelligent enough for this thread apparently.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    no one currently know what type system will match the goal. what was implemented was an available system that has been developed over the years by the forum software designer who has experience over tens of thousands of their clients. to me that sounds more reliable than a few of us trying to guess what a fitting mechanism can look like.
    you can quote me on that, but we never ban someone without reading through their posts.

in my view, choosing the wrong moderator is far worse than using a wrong Karma system. the negative impact to the forum itself can potentially destroy the forum socially.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i might need to hire a moderator just to respond to qui's long posts. wilfred do you want to take this job? ;)

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Yes, we now have a post from quisitor in that Confucius thread

Hi ctjcad,

Yes... finally, we now have a post from quisitor in that Confucius thread, as located at:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=657837#post657837

Cheers... chris@ccc

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter

Hi kwun,

I think that our karma system is going fine, although many of our members think that they are not interested in it. :):):)

And some, including myself, are just trying to discourage members from giving negative karma points when disagreement arises.

This is because each of us are entitled to have different opinions on different matters. And who is to decide which opinion is correct ???

It is deeds, not words, that matter most. :):):)

Cheers... chris@ccc

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..i would second that also;)..But i'm afraid, once wilfredlgf takes that position, *there will be no turning back*...:rolleyes::p:D;)
    ..yes, i saw Q's initial reply in that thread...However, remember, that is an *unofficial* reply/post;)..Q mentioned we'll probably see the 100-page reply sometimes next summer:eek::rolleyes:...yeah, just in time for the '08 Olympics Games..:p:D;)

13. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Do I get medical benefits, allowances and provident fund deductions? It's to fund for the brain upgrade I'll be needing to understand his posts beforehand.

(And future psychiatrist appointments).

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Don't worry..

:p..we, BCers, will come & back you up whenever you need help...Just call us, IN CASE OF EMERGENCY..:p:rolleyes::D;)

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you can send me the bill, which i will forward to the claims dept, which has staff that are yet to be hired. your claimed will be processed once the staff are hired and of course in the order they were received.

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    And possible neural implants to boost comprehension. So, we need someone to fund Borg type of technology . . .

17. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    I intend to remain 'organic', mind you.

And I don't want my thoughts on Gong Ruina to be known all over the hive.

18. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Dink it! It's the collective that matters :D:p.

19. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

This alliteration cracked me up. Dodecahedron? lol... not a term that comes up often unless talking geometry or perhaps modern classical music.

Anyhow, what I've seen work well in other forums is a stickied post with links to some excellent treatises and discussions on various subjects found in older threads. The problem is, who has time to go back look for some of those "classic" posts?

It's hard to teach people to think critically, especially over the internet. Most of the time, I'm not looking to use my brain when I'm surfing the internet. Instead, I think of it as a way to simply kill time/procrastinate when I have other work to do. It's the pareto principle, where 80% of your time is spent spinning your wheels while the remaining 20% does all the work.