Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

imo, she can make it to the top spot this season/yr (only 14,000 pts behind) if she keeps playing in more tourneys and finishing near the top (finishes around Semis Rd. as avg), just like how LCW has been doing it..and to do that, it'll go back to her new found key: her improved fitness..

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Was hoping that Saina Nehwal would participate in our 2010 Australian Open GP

Was hoping that Saina Nehwal would participate in our 2010 Australian Open GP.

Unfortunately, she won't be. :(:(:(

3. johnjacob

johnjacob Regular Member

Student
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Watched some of the S'pore Open. Yes, definitely much fitter now. But I think speed on court can still improve - as in the acceleration.

This is good - it means we can look forward to even more from her.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Watched some of the S'pore Open. Yes, definitely much fitter now. But I think speed on court can still improve - as in the acceleration.

This is good - it means we can look forward to even more from her.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

7. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    I pick Saina Nehwal to win the DIO Super Series 2010 WS title.
    If she does, it will be back to back to back wins in three consecutive tournaments (hattrick), a feat last achieved by Wang Yihan of China.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2010 Indonesia Badminton Super Series: Hope that Saina Nehwal can win the WS title

Hope so. :):):)

Hope that Saina Nehwal can win the 2010 Indonesia Badminton Super Series WS title.

9. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    I think SN will move up a notch in the new ranking to be released soon.
    She is a real threat to the Chinese players and I pick her to win the Commonwealth Games WS in October 2010.

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Saina really took advantage of the absence of a few top WS players, incl. those CHN's top players (although she beat a couple of CHN players in the S'pore Open) in the 3 consecutive tourneys..Time for her to go back, take a brief rest and start preparing for the WC (abt 2 months away)...Let's see if she can make another surprise in the upcoming WC..

#370 ctjcad, Jun 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Saina Nehwal won the 2010 Indonesia Badminton Super Series Womens Singles title

So glad that Saina Nehwal won the 2010 Indonesia Badminton Super Series Womens Singles title. :):):)

12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

She really takes good advantage from the absence of chinese womens shuttlers beside Lu LAN in the spore open...by winning titles by titles..

she's really an iron lady:D..

whats next for her?;)

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Heady welcome for champion Saina

The Times of India
    TNN, Jun 30, 2010, 02.47am IST

M Ratnakar,

HYDERABAD: Hundreds of sports lovers, several badminton players and sports administrators gathered at the Shamshabad airport at the break of dawn on Tuesday to receive Saina Nehwal who was returning home after accomplishing the rare feat of winning three back-to-back titles on the international circuit.

Drum beats reverberated through the airport much before Saina arrived and once she was sighted, there was an incessant rain of flowers from everywhere before she was brought to the city in a motorcade.

Saina seemed so thrilled at the reception that the normally shy player acknowledged the cheering fans without any inhibition, showing off her medals, accepting garlands and blowing kisses.

"I am proud to be an Indian sportswoman," Saina later said at a press conference held at her mentor, P Gopichand’s academy.

Though she insisted that she is not thinking too much about achieving the No. 1 world rank, Saina hinted that she has it in her to reach the summit. "If I can become No. 3, I can also become No. 1," she said refusing, however, to dwell more on the subject, by saying "At the moment, I still cannot believe that I’m No.3."

The protege thanked "Gopi Sir" whom she credited with creating a worldbeater out of her. "It’s only because of him I’m where I’m today," she said. Saina also thanked coach Bhaskar Babu, who accompanied her to all three tournaments. "The tactical advise of Bhaskar Sir was of great help. He also helped to study the game of opponents," she acknowledged. Incidentally, Bhaskar Babu was at hand even when she won her first major international title in the Philippines in 2006.

Saina reiterated that while her immediate goals were to do well at the Worlds, Commonwealth and Asian Games, her dream is to win a medal at the London Olympics. "My focus from now on is to stay injury-free and work on my fitness. If I can do that I think I have a chance to realise my dream."

Saina felt that areas of her game which needed improvement were the backhand and defence. "I need to work on these aspects. Basically, I am an attacking player but to do well at the international level I need to improve my defence."

Saina is aware of the difficulties in sustaining her ranking and feels that the answer lies in proper planning. "I know it is very tough to stay at the top, but careful selection of tournaments so that there is enough time for rest, rehabilitation and training, will give me better results. Anyway, my coach will take care of that," she said.

HBA announces cash award for Saina Nehwal

PTI, Jun 29, 2010, 09.05pm IST

JHAJJAR: Haryana Badminton Association (HBA) has announced a cash award of Rs 5 lakh for Hisar-born Saina Nehwal for her title triumph in the Indonesia Super Series this Sunday.

Decision to this effect was taken at an annual general body meeting of the association, held under the chairmanship of its president Devinder Singh, at Sewa Bhawan in Delhi.

"Saina has brought glory to the state and the country by winning the Indonesian Open Super Series title," said Manoj Sharma, Secretary of Jhajjar unit of the association.

Manjeet Singh, senior vice-president of the association, said, "Saina has become a role model for millions of Indian girls."

Saina recently rounded a hat-trick of international titles by defending Indonesian Open Super Series trophy in Jakarta.

Before winning in Jakarta, which was the 20-year-old's third Super Series title overall, Saina had won the Indian Open Grand Prix at home and the Singapore Open Super Series.

Meanwhile, the association, at its meeting, has also decided to organise 75th Senior National Badminton Championship from January 2 to 10 next year on the campus of Maharshi Dayanand University (MDU) in Rohtak.

"Four high standard courts will be prepared for efficient and smooth conduct of the championship and players from all over India would be invited to take part in it," said the secretary, adding it would be the first time that the national championship would be organised in Haryana.

PM congratulates Saina for Indonesia Open Super Series win

PTI, Jun 27, 2010, 07.51pm IST

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday congratulated badminton sensation Saina Nehwal for winning the Indonesian Open Super Series at Jakarta, her third international title on a row.

"Saina has shown spirit, determination and skill in winning the championship, her third major international title in three weeks," Singh said.

The Prime Minister also said that Saina has done the country proud and is a role model for the youth.

World number three Saina, seeded top in the tournament as defending champion, defeated unseeded Sayaka Sato of Japan 21-19 13-21 21-11 to clinch the Indonesian Open, which is her third title in as many weeks.

The Hyderabadi had won the Indian Open Grand Prix Gold in Chennai, before triumphing the Singapore Open Super Series last week, which saw her reach career best ranking of world number three.

I can become world number one: Saina

PTI, Jun 29, 2010, 11.41am IST

HYDERABAD: After notching up an incredible hat-trick of international titles, ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal on Tuesday said she is confident of becoming the world's number one player soon.

Saina, who rounded a hat-trick of titles by defending her Indonesia Open Super Series trophy in Jakarta, said she would now have to work harder to improve her ranking from number three to one.

"Now it is important for me to work harder and win the next international events rather than concentrating on the ranking. If I can become number three, then I can also become number one," Saina said at a press conference.

"I enjoyed all the matches in the three tournaments. I was a little tired but was confident that I could do it. Finally I am happy that I have won three titles in a row. Now I want to win the upcoming tournaments," she added.

Before winning in Jakarta, which was the 20-year-old's third Super Series title overall, Saina had won the Indian Open Grand Prix at home and the Singapore Open Super Series Tournament.

"Last year it was tough for me to win the Indonesia Open and it was something special as it was my first Super Series title. But the recent one is special because I have won three tournaments in a row," said Saina.

Attached Files:

#373 Loh, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Saina Nehwal is now No.3 in our BWF Womens Singles Ranking

It's great to find that Saina Nehwal is now World No.3 in our BWF Womens Singles Ranking.

15. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Only 20yo... a bright future ahead of her if she can maintain injury free & discipline..

16. vpsingh

vpsingh Regular Member

The IT Guy
    She should do well in the forthcoming Commonwealth Games at home and in Asian Games/World Championship later. Hope she can maintain her fitness and avoid exerting herself by playing selected tournaments.:)

17. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Badminton: Almost famous

It has taken Saina Nehwal three Super Series titles to gain celebrity status in India but she tells XPRESS her feet are still firmly grounded

[​IMG]
    • Saina Nehwal
    • Image Credit: Xpress /Abdel-krim Kallouche

Dubai: The ringtone on her cell phone, lines from a popular Hindi number which roughly translated means "why do you always talk about money and why are you so obsessed with it" can't be further from Saina Nehwal's outlook in life. For someone with increasing riches, money is possibly the last thing on her mind, as world badminton's brightest star told XPRESS in an exclusive interview from Hyderabad following her incredible feat of winning a hat-trick of titles.
    "I just found that song very funny, which is why it has become my ringtone, The fact that it talks about money has nothing to do with the way I look at life. I am not after money, I can tell you that," she said, after finally getting some free time to herself following a hectic day of being honoured, dealing with the media and, finally, sleep.
    "I landed in Hyderabad on Tuesday morning and since then it has been a blur really. I finally managed to catch up on some sleep later in the day," Nehwal added, still sounding a bit tired.
    And tired she might be after winning the Indian Open, Singapore Open and the Indonesian Open - the last two being Super Series events - in the space of three weeks.
    More relief than joy
    "After winning the first two events, I was already weary. My physio actually did a great job and I managed to get through in Indonesia and defend my title, so it was more of a relief in the end," she said.
    So, which of the two Indonesian Open titles does she cherish more?
    "The first Super Series title is always special and I beat the then world No 1 on the way. But this year's is more special given that it was my third tournament win in a row," she said.
    Having already risen to World No 3, this series of victories seems to have finally made her a celebrity in her country. "Well, one Super Series title should have been enough, but I guess it needed three in a row for me to become that," she said, tongue-in-cheek, before adding: "That of course won't change me as a person. I will still remain the same, with my feet firmly on the ground."
    You would tend to believe her given how excited she was to receive a message from fellow Hyderabadi, tennis player Sania Mirza. "That was very sweet of Sania, sending a text to congratulate me," she said.
    For now, it's rest and thereafter, it's the world championships where she will get to meet more of the Chinese. "I have almost cracked the Chinese puzzle. I always believed it is possible to beat them, I just had to be patient. I have improved on my stamina and defence and I now need to strengthen my net game to make that final jump. I am not overly concerned about the No 1 ranking since winning tournaments will take care of that," she said.
    Rising graph

• The Indonesian Open was Nehwal's third Super Series title, having won the same title last year and the Singapore Open this year
    • Nehwal's career best ranking of No 3 sees her sandwiched between six Chinese players at the top
    • Her cumulative earnings from the three consecutive tournament wins this year amounted to over $42,000 (Dh154,000)

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

whoah. saina nehwal having make up eh?/;)

19. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Saina's interview...

I am not perfect: Saina

RUPAM JAIN, Jul 3, 2010, 12.00am IST

Confesses shuttle queen and World No 3 Saina Nehwal in an interview to us

------------------------------------------

Excerpts from an interview:

I’m not perfect
    Ever since she went on a winning spree last year, she has been expected to continue doing well. And now that she has won three international tournaments in a row, there’s bound to be more expectations from her fans. “I appreciate that people believe in me, but at the same time, I would like to say that I am not perfect. Every sportsperson needs to keep growing, there is no end to that. To consider that I am perfect only because I have achieved this feat would be wrong. I don’t know myself whether I can repeat this performance next year or not.”

I can be No. 1
    The 20-year-old believes more in herself than she does in others. “The No 3 ranking did not come easy to me. Along with my coach (Pullela Gopichand) I have worked really hard to reach here. And if I can be No. 3, then of course I have the ability to be No. 1 too. You see rankings come naturally if you keep performing well. If I do well, my rankings will improve. If I don’t, needless to say, the rankings will fall. But I am not going to let myself fall. Whenever I am on the verge of a fall, I tell myself ‘Saina, you can do it, don’t fall’. I just want to keep playing better and better and rise to new highs. I expect a lot from myself , so, there’s actually no room for outside pressures.”

-----------------------------------------
    *Read completely through The Times of India.com -- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life/people/I-am-not-perfect-Saina/articleshow/6119291.cms

20. vpsingh

vpsingh Regular Member

The IT Guy
    Saina recently took time out from badminton to visit Hyderabad fashion week and even walk on the ramp.
    She looks great in the traditional Hyderabadi Muslim Bride attire. :D:D
    http://photogallery.indiatimes.com/articleshow/6123577.cms

(I don't think organisers will reveal how much she was paid :p)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.